Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 4, 2013, 12:34 PM   #1

Default Looking for a camera for my daughter - need low lag time

HELP! I am looking to buy my daughter a camera (Canon, Olympus or Nikon) with at least a 14 MP and a low lag time. I am reading thru the specs of cameras and I don't know what to look for as far as lag time. is it FPS? Is it optical zoom? is it iso or speed? Please help

btw... not looking to break the bank. Don't really want to go over $300-$400.

Any suggestions?
alival is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 4, 2013, 1:13 PM   #2

Well, traditionally, "lag time" tends to refer to the time it takes from the full-press of the shutter button to the image actually being recorded. You're not going to see a spec-sheet statistic on this because it is a variable, not a constant. That "lag time" can be different in different scenarios.

Generally speaking, that "lag time" is affected by:
1) Time for camera to acheive focus
2) Clearing of buffer from previous shots
3) Time for flash to charge/recharge

And, of course, if your subject is moving it doesn't speak to how well the camera tracks a moving subject.

So, we know your budget range. Why don't you tell us a bit about the types of photos and conditions under which the camera will be used.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2013, 4:31 PM   #3

Well, she's only 12, however she's constantly taking pix on her iphone 4s. She takes pix of her friends, her sister, the dog, you name it! AND she LOVES to edit them. She's always downloading new editing apps and watching youtube videos about photography and editing. She loves to make videos too. An added plus would be for the camera to be wifi friendly and have the ability to upload to instagram and/or facebook.
Finally, she wants the "look" of the big bulky professional camera with the strap around your neck. She wants nothing to do with the little (practical for a 12 year old) point and shoot cameras.
Does such a camera exist?
Old Nov 4, 2013, 6:39 PM   #4

Maybe consider a "bridge/Superzoom" camera..?
Similar in size to an SLR camera and plenty of manual control to grow into and learn as you go- with good "auto" capture modes when simplicity is required.
Sadly,most of these type of camera's are not WiFi enabled yet...

The Panasonic FZ200 is a quick shooter- fast shot to shot/focus/burst speeds...
Maybe consider Canon's SX50hs also...
Nikon's competitor- the P520- is too slow in operation to recommend (in my opinion...)
Fuji's HS50 looks good- though the manual type zoom might make video capture awkward...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2013, 12:08 AM   #5

I have a Nikon L820 and the lag time is very low on this camera. What I also like is when hit the power button it takes about 2 seconds before it's ready to take a picture. The 30 optical zoom on this camera very nice.
Weebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2013, 10:46 AM   #6

Default will any of these work??

Will any of these work for what I'm looking for? Which do you think would be the BEST? Would any of these be fast? Good zoom? and the can you edit pix on the camera with any of these?

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!!!!

Canon PowerShot SX170 IS 16MP, 16X Optical Zoom, 720p Movie

Canon PowerShot 12MP 30X Zoom 3" LCD Wi-Fi SLR-Style Camera with 4GB SDHC Card and Software

Olympus 16MP, 24X Optical Zoom Digital Camera
Old Nov 5, 2013, 12:39 PM   #7

The SX170is is a decent little camera for the money, no speed demon however- though a decent zoom range- and I'm glad the SX series has ditched the AA power, enabling far improved battery life.

I'm guessing the second Powershot you refer to is the SX510hs...?
Much improved over the older 500- as it shares the CMOS sensor of the competent SX40/50HS....
http://www.ephotozine.com/article/ca...s-review-23235

Again,I'm guessing... is the Olympus you refer to the SZ15...?
The lack of manual control here might limit someone who wants to go beyond "pointing and shooting"...

Something to consider,given your second post... none of the above have viewfinders...
Old Nov 5, 2013, 1:34 PM   #8

ugh! OK, Is there anything comparable to the canon EOS Rebel that doesn't cost as much?
Old Nov 5, 2013, 2:53 PM   #9

An entry level DSLR is available within your budget... but you will be restricted to a fairly small zoom range with the kit lens...(Canon 1100D maybe..?)

Canon's SX50HS is a good buy at present prices... arguably the best image quality of any bridge camera,a whopper of a zoom range and operational speed improved upon the older SX40HS- which I found to be just fine...
Old Nov 5, 2013, 5:57 PM   #10

In the US, the Panasonic G5 with 14-42 lens is @$400 or less. It looks like a tiny dslr, has an EVF the size of a film slr, a touch screen, articulating lcd, film modes with individual adjustments, has a pop-up flash and a hotshoe.

You can get her a 45-150 for her next birthday.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-...s=panasonic+g5
BBbuilder467 is offline   Reply With Quote