Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 19, 2013, 1:54 PM   #1

Default Have 1DMKII, need better High ISO

Started using a Canon 20D which I still have and picked up a used Canon 1DMkII, which has fantastic files which are easy to use. But I really like to shoot when the light is best, which is at dusk and dawn. I'm finding the I can shoot at up to about 640 ISO, but thats about max, sweet spot is about 400 ISO with the MKII.
My best bet right now would be a 1DMKIV, but there about $3200.00 right now, which is a long stretch price wise.
I mostly try and shoot wildlife and birds, but I also shoot land and seascapes as well.
As far as lenses I use mostly my 100-400, and that new Tamron tele looks very interesting.
So which direction would you suggest as far as a new or used camera ?
Bsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 20, 2013, 4:30 AM   #2

Maybe look at the 5D MKII as a second hand buy...(the 5D MKIII offers a MUCH better AF but at a price hike...). Not a speed demon but pretty decent in the high iso dept'... and the high resolution files give you some cropping latitude,effectively lengthening the reach of that Tamron...!

Last edited by SIMON40; Nov 20, 2013 at 11:43 AM.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2013, 5:46 AM   #3

With respect to image noise, even the best Canon has to offer is only about a single stop better than the 1Ds MkII you already have. That's a testament to the capability of the tool you're already using, in that, even if you're willing to spend megabucks, you're not going to do much better.

And while it is true that greater resolution reduces the impact noise has on an image, Canon hasn't done much to improve upon the 1Ds MkII in that respect either.

Perhaps your best solution is to consider faster glass.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2013, 6:56 AM   #4

TCAV - the 1dmkII is NOT the same as the 1dsmkII. The 1ds is full frame and 1dII is aps-h. The IDIII I had was a good stop and a half better than the 1dII and the latest 5dIII/1dx is probably about 3 stops better.

There are some challenges. Prior to the 5dIII, the focus system in the 5-series wasn't that stellar. So for sports/wildlife it's a challenge. Not as much the FPS as the focus system. Unfortunately, Canon's aps-c sensors aren't really the greatest. The sony sensors used by them, Pentax and Nikon really are better.

The 6d has the sensor performance. But it only has one useful point for action - the center (only cross point in the array). Of course build quality and focus are also going to be a let-down from what you're used to with the 1dII.

Used 1dIIIs are selling for about $800 but again that only gets you a stop and a half gain at high ISOs. I think you'd be rather disappointed with the high iso performance of the 7d.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2013, 8:22 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
TCAV - the 1dmkII is NOT the same as the 1dsmkII. The 1ds is full frame and 1dII is aps-h.
JohnG - Thanks for pointing out my error.

Bsmooth - I'm sorry if my earlier post might have caused some confusion.

Even so, at the lower end of the ISO range, there isn't much difference between the image noise Bsmooth is already getting with his 8MP 1D MkII and something newer. But certainly he will benefit from a higher resolution sensor as, as I said before, more resolution makes the same amount of noise less obvious and objectionable.

So, speaking just about image noise, Bsmooth will see a substantial improvement when upgrading to a newer APS-C body, not so much from the better performance, but from the higher resolution. And all at a substantial savings over the other options he's considering. If he doesn't mind the smaller format, that is.

But still, if he's satisfied with his 1D MkII in all other respects, faster glass is always a good idea.

Last edited by TCav; Nov 20, 2013 at 8:24 AM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2013, 8:36 AM   #6

To a newer APS-C or APS-H body
Canon has 3 different sensor sizes.

APS-C 1.6x is in the rebel to the 7d line
APS-H 1.3x is in the 1d line
FF 1x is in the 1ds, 5d, 6d line

7d is both fast and has not too bad low light performance, it can also be found used for relatively low amounts of cash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Bsmooth will see a substantial improvement when upgrading to a newer APS-C body,
Old Nov 20, 2013, 9:01 AM   #7

Peter - 1 small change. The 1d line is now full frame as well. The 1dIV was the last aps-h sensor camera. The 1dx - the new flagship sports/wildlife camera is now full frame.

Noise performance is a relative thing. My suggestion to the OP is this - the 7d is a great value camera. But, get a hold of some image files to see if the noise level is acceptable to you for how you use/view the images. I think the truth is in the middle. I think with proper noise reduction, lots of images are still useful for print purposes. But, everyone's tolerance for noise is different. It should be easy enough to get a hold of some 7d wildlife and landscape image files - just make sure you get them at the ISO range you're looking to use - if you really want/need ISO 1600 look at those images. If you want/need ISO 3200 look at those.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote