Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 23, 2013, 6:14 AM   #1

Default dSLR suitable for kids and cakes?

Hello! I've been looking for a while for a first dslr and it seems a Canon T3i would be a good fit, possibly a Nikon 5100? I have a p&s that I really like, but would like something with more manual control. It will mostly be used for taking pictures of our (future) baby and of cakes for my portfolio as we have a specialty cake business. Because of the cake thing, color quality is important. Nikon seems to have better stats on this, but is there really a noticeable difference?

I took a photo class in college with a fully manual camera, so I have some understanding of what they entail, but am ready to learn more.

Both of these cameras (plus $150 for an extra lens) are in my budget, but I am happy to look for a used/refurb of a more expensive model if there is one better suited for me? Any camera/lens recommendations are welcome! I have to add that we do not have any local camera shops, so physically checking these out isn't an option for me...

Cheers! Jessica
mrsjessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 23, 2013, 7:32 AM   #2

Either camera is fine. The bigger issue if you want quality results for business purposes is going to be proper lighting and background for the cakes. Using an on-camera flash for those pictures isn't going to yield great results. Ideally you're going to want 2 off-camera flash with softbox.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2013, 3:15 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. I do have a set up with a background and lights, and it works pretty well. The bigger problem I'm finding is getting shots once the cake are at venues. Sometimes the backgrounds are a bit messy looking, so my thinking was a dslr would allow me a nice blurred background for these and for baby photos. Any suggestions for a lens? I've seen suggestions for lenses that don't brand match (Minolta, Sigma...), but would a Canon 50mm f/1.8 be the way to go?

Last edited by mrsjessica; Nov 23, 2013 at 3:35 PM.
Old Nov 23, 2013, 3:50 PM   #4

Blurring out the background is one option if indeed you find yourself in a situation where the background is not to your liking...
You could do a great deal worse than the lens you mention- and is a steal at current prices...
Nikon's 50mm f/1.8 is nice also... just costs a tad more...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2013, 3:15 AM   #5

i used to use the canon 50mm 1.8, and it rocked!
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2013, 8:46 PM   #6

Thanks for the suggestions! I went with the Canon as they're offering a refurb with kit lens for $359. Now to pick out a lens and wait for the postman...