Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 30, 2013, 5:04 PM   #11
oyz

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
You seemed to be focussing (no pun intended) on that long focal number and, while that may be impressive and something to use as PART OF your criteria, bear in mind, the bigger that number gets, the more light you're going to need. Everything effects everything else... just like in life. It's all a big trade-off.
You are right. For this there is just one criteria, really. This is a single purpose enquiry.

I have other stuff for when I am playing a photographer. This is for birding. The only thing that counts here is to get enough details to ID distant birds! Birds that are swimming outside the coastline, where I can't get closer. Birds thare are up on a cliffside, to which I can't get closer. Shy birds that don't want to let me get closer those times where I'm not having the option of using some sort of hide.

Though, as mentioned in the opening post, I see there is a point to make about fastness and length. On distance, motion blur needs to be weighted against high ISO-noise, and not as far-reaching lens.

But still - the only criteria remains the same!
oyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2013, 7:39 PM   #12

You need to remember that too long a focal length won't do you much good. If you can't see the bird, or an indication of the presence of a bird, with the naked eye, you won't know to point whatever lens you have in that direction. As a result, you'll never have any real opportunity to use a super-long focal length anyway.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2013, 7:41 PM   #13

Try renting something to get a better idea how you might be able to use it before you buy it.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 7:46 PM   #14

Take a look at the bird shots in the Wildlife Photos forum, and see what types of gear they use for the types of shots you want to get.