Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 8, 2013, 6:26 AM   #1

Default Looking for a portable mirrorless (upgrading from compact)

Hi folks,

I need a bit of advice since I'm only a beginner. I travel a lot and love taking photos, but I was never interested in DSLR's due to their bulky size and weight.

The mirrorless cameras however peaked my interest and I've now sold my old Canon S95 and I'm considering what to upgrade to.

My main requirements are:
1) Portability - doesn't neccessarily need to be pocketable, but it would be nice if I could hang the camera off my belt, or stuff it in my jacket
2) One-handed use - when hiking or climbing mountains, I don't want to get out of my gear just to operate the camera
3) Decent photos in auto mode - my wife needs to be able to use the camera, and she has no patience or inclination to fiddle with the settings

Nice to haves: WiFi, NFC, smartphone app for remote control, GPS tagging etc.

Since this will be my first "serious" camera I think (and I might be wrong) that the main choice is the brand, which will dictate what type of lens I will buy later, which will dictate what kind of camera I may end up upgrading to later on.

So far I've only had Canon cameras, but from what I hear their mirrorless range is less than impressive and EOS M compares quite poorly to the competiton. Apart from Canon, I like the look of the Sony NEX cameras, but from the reviews I gather that they have a poor user interface.

I could wait for EOS M-2 to come to Europe, or it may be time for me try another make.

Does anyone have a recommendation for me? Let's say that I don't want to spend more than $1000 (or 1000 euros) on the kit (camera + lens), and if all else fails I'll be going for the Sony RX100-II

Thanks!
crotach is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 8, 2013, 12:19 PM   #2

You could do a great deal worse than the RX100-II... portable,easy to use etc with very good IQ in its class... and for rambling in the hills,could be perfect- as you can't press buttons and adjust a lens at the same time one-handed..!

If a mirrorless really is the way you want to go- the Olympus Pen's in-body stabilizer gives it a bit of an edge- as does its zippy focus speeds...
The NEX's larger sensor pushes it ahead in the high iso use stakes...
I like the Nikon "V" system... though not hugely popular...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2013, 6:24 PM   #3

the main choice could be the brand, but i'd consider it the mount. both panasonic and olympus use the micro four thirds system, so you can use both brands of lenses (and a few third party lenses are available) on either brand of camera. and canon and nikon have many third party lenses you can get.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2013, 7:12 PM   #4

I would say that your first consideration should be sensor size. Mirrorless bodies are thinner than dSLRs, so the larger the sensor, the more the lens must bend the light to cover the entire image sensor, which leads to field curvature, vignetting, distortion and chromatic aberration. I'm not saying that some manufacturers haven't overcome these problems with some or even all their lenses. What I'm saying is that overcoming these problems makes the lenses expensive. Canon, Sony and Fuji use APS-C sensors, the largest in Mirrorless bodies, so I'd rule them out right from the start.

From there, I'd look at the mounts that had the greatest selection of both OEM and third party lenses. That might seem to be the m4/3 mount, but there's a hidden problem with that. While Panasonic puts image stabilization in their lenses, Olympus puts it in their cameras. So if you go with a Panasonic body, any Olympus lenses you get for it won't be stabilized, and if you go with an Olympus body, you'll pay extra for the stabilization that you can't use in a Panasonic lens. Unfortunately, though, nobody really has very many lenses for their mirrorless bodies, so a m4/3 choice may be the best one.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2013, 10:06 PM   #5

As TCav points out, the m4/3 would be interesting.

Out of those, the Panasonic DMC-GF6 might be of interest to you as it has WiFi and one-handed operation.

One handed operation in that if you have the powerzoom lens on it, you don't need to use your left hand to zoom the lens, instead you can use the toggle switch around the shutter button to zoom in and out, just like a point-and-shoot camera.

Neat feature for a ILC camera.

NOTE: I'm trying to capture the picture in my head! Not the one my camera sees!

Personal Flickr Favs: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tacticd...7631300869284/
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2013, 4:15 PM   #6

GF6 looks very interesting indeed. I also like the GM1, but I'd need to see it "in the flesh".

My local stores don't seem to carry any of the small mirrorless cameras, they just jump from compacts to full DSLRs. I thought this segment was more popular, but I guess not around here.

I'm travelling this weekend so I might get a chance to try some of them out at the airports.
crotach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2013, 5:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by crotach View Post
GF6 looks very interesting indeed. I also like the GM1, but I'd need to see it "in the flesh".
Good idea.

Quote:
My local stores don't seem to carry any of the small mirrorless cameras, they just jump from compacts to full DSLRs. I thought this segment was more popular, but I guess not around here.
Not necessarily. For every mirrorless camera that gets sold, 5 dSLRs get sold.

Quote:
I'm travelling this weekend so I might get a chance to try some of them out at the airports.
Airports? Ok. Larger camera stores in larger metropolitan areas are more likely to have them, as might any Big Box retail stores (though the opportunities for trying it out "in the flesh" might be limited.)
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2013, 8:47 PM   #8

Quote:
I was thinking of mentioning the GM1 as well, but it didn't have the zoom toggle around the shutter button. But the GM1 looks pretty good too. I like that it has a proper exposure mode dial.

Quote:
Where abouts are you located? Maybe someone will know of a store close by?

NOTE: I'm trying to capture the picture in my head! Not the one my camera sees!

Personal Flickr Favs: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tacticd...7631300869284/
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2013, 4:50 AM   #9
Super Moderator

I think there are three stand-out cameras in your budget range:
  • Olympus OM-D E-M5 + 12-50 kit lens.
  • Panasonic GX7 + 14-42 kit lens.
  • Panasonic GM1 + 12-32 kit lens.

All are Micro 4/3, but unless you are going to be doing very specific work the resolution and image quality of that format is now good enough for almost everything.

All should come in at your budget if you look for a good deal, take a good look at the GM1 if you are happy to shoot only with the LCD, it's super-portable and a bit cheaper.

Last edited by peripatetic; Dec 14, 2013 at 4:53 AM.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote