Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 8, 2013, 10:47 AM   #1

Default Recommendations for a bridge camera?

I'm expecting a baby and looking to buy a new camera. I am not a photography expert by any means, so the camera doesn't have to be super fancy. I love my point and shoot now, but am looking for something that can take more frames per second with less lag time between shots. It will mainly be used for taking pictures of active kiddos!

Of course I've fallen in love with the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 based on reviews and user comments, but I'm wondering if it's necessary to spend that much for my relatively basic needs?

My parents have the Canon SX50 and love that one, but I read there can be a lag time between shots.

Any recommendations?
Karey1210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 8, 2013, 12:32 PM   #2

The FZ200 is a speedy performer for sure... though the Canon SX50 has a fast burst option- and if you switch off the image review, the shot to shot times are quicker...

Perhaps play with your parents Canon for a bit- you may find it's perfectly adequate for what you need once you get to grips with it...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2013, 12:36 PM   #3

Have you ever thought of a dSLR?

Some of the older models, such as the Canon T3, can be gotten with lens for ~$300 or so.

Their larger sensor is great for image quality. They are really fast. And if you end up really liking it, there are ways to expand the system to get even better photographs.

And . . . if in the end you decide that you don't like it, you can still turn around and sell the camera used and not lose that much.

I know a couple of people that asked me about dSLRs, but weren't that sure, but went and picked up this camera to try it out.

Just something else to consider!

NOTE: I'm trying to capture the picture in my head! Not the one my camera sees!

Personal Flickr Favs: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tacticd...7631300869284/
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2013, 12:50 PM   #4

Active kids can tax Contrast Detection AF systems, but the alternative is Phase Detection AF, which is only available in dSLRs and, in the guise of a hybrid AF system, some Mirrorless systems and a few bridge cameras. The good news is that P&S and Bridge cameras have such small sensors, and the maximum apertures on the built-in lenses is so small, that the deep depth of field conceals many AF errors.

One advantage the Panasonic FZ200 has is that it has a large aperture lens (a constant f/2.8 maximum aperture throughout its zoom range, which is extraordinary.) This is handy when shooting indoors or in other low light conditions. Unfortunately, that narrows the depth of field, and the FZ200 doesn't have Hybrid AF, but it does have a small sensor, so AF errors are more likely to occur, but not significantly.

The Panasonic FZ200 is a fine camera, and worth the cost. Anything better will undoubtedly cost more, and anything less expensive will almost certainly not be as good.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2013, 4:54 PM   #5
Super Moderator

An entry level DSLR is a great choice - excellent value, easy to use, great images. Look for a good deal in your budget.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 4:23 PM   #6

Default Nikon P520

Try a Nikon P520 , it's cheap and has a great zoom.... sharp pictures... good image stabilisation.
I've had both Nikon P520 and Panasonic FZ200....
Specs of the Panasonic are better but not the quality results
guillermovilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2014, 9:01 PM   #7

I too have experience with the Panasonic FZ200, I thought it did OK for what it's supposed to do. The huge zoom and the f/2.8 are nice features. I briefly tried the Sony DSC RX10 and initially I really liked it. I have to take it out for a thorough shoot and see what it can do but it really performed well indoors at night. The Sony RX10 is expensive though ($1300), it's almost three times the cost of the Panasonic FZ200 ($450).
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2014, 12:04 AM   #8
Super Moderator

The RX10 is one heck of a camera, but way outside of the OP's budget.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 9:05 AM   #9

Having chased a few kids around on the carpet I would take fast auto focus over frame rate all day.
Old Boat Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2014, 9:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillermovilas View Post
Try a Nikon P520 , it's cheap and has a great zoom.... sharp pictures... good image stabilisation.
I've had both Nikon P520 and Panasonic FZ200....
Specs of the Panasonic are better but not the quality results
I'm intrigued... as you've owned the P520 and the FZ200...
Which do you prefer and why...?
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote