Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 29, 2013, 5:22 PM   #1

Default Companion for an X100s

For 5 years I had a Panasonic FZ18, and have finally upgraded this year. Based on the bulk of my shooting (social, street, general travel, people, night, a bit of everything) I got the X100s and am extremely happy with it.

However, obviously the 35mm equiv. fixed lens is a tad limiting in some situations (probably about 15-20% of my shooting) so I'm looking for a cheap(ish) companion camera. It'd be nice if this camera could cover me for awesome landscapes on one hand, and wildlife on the other. But telephoto reach is probably more important to me. $500 is the optimal high-end for it.

I've been looking at a pocketable travel zoom (such as the Pana ZS30, for the range or the Pana LF1, for the slightly larger sensor). But my FZ18's tele-performance was fairly dismal compared to what I can get from a larger sensor.

The Sony NEX 3N with 16-50 & 55-210 is a tempting combo (I'd likely end up using the X100s for most things and keeping the 55-210 attached for any time I need more reach - situations requiring the wide end are generally less urgent to set up), but is out of reach of the $500 max. Ditto with a Canon Sl1 combo.

I'm thinking a camera with interchangeable lenses will work better in the long term, though in an ideal world I'd have a 20-300mm equiv. large sensor f1.4 that I could put in my pocket! (I don't really like changing lenses .

Phew. Any suggestions? I don't mind going with a used lens, but I'd prefer a new body, all things being equal.

Last edited by ABNorman; Dec 29, 2013 at 5:25 PM.
ABNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 29, 2013, 6:09 PM   #2

Perhaps an FZ200 might suffice...?
Yes- a small sensor (with all it's shortcomings) but the fast aperture (at the long zoom end) should help keep the iso down...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2013, 6:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMON40 View Post
Perhaps an FZ200 might suffice...?
Yes- a small sensor (with all it's shortcomings) but the fast aperture (at the long zoom end) should help keep the iso down...
I've considered the FZ200. Hopefully I'll almost exclusively be using this cam in good lighting conditions, and in that case, it feels like a more compact form like the ZS30 is a better fit than the FZ200. I'm only really willing to bulk up for a significant increase in IQ, resolution & DOF control.

It may be an idea to just go with the cheap pocket zoom, especially as cameras are getting closer and closer to being right in my sweet spot and in a few years I think I'll be able to find the right compromise. They're juuuuust falling short at the moment (the RX10 would be great at a massively reduced price).

Last edited by ABNorman; Dec 29, 2013 at 6:52 PM.
ABNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2013, 12:28 PM   #4

ABNorman... yes,the RX10 is a drool fest...
With regards a pocket zoom- it's the lack of light at the long end which hinders them- thus negating the benefit of the zoom in the first place..!
Still, if your subjects don't move to much...
Perhaps Sony's HX50v might be worth a look if you want a pocket powerhouse... and with 20mp on board,noise issues could be reduced somewhat by re-sizing...

Last edited by SIMON40; Dec 30, 2013 at 12:31 PM.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2014, 5:21 PM   #5

Olympus Stylus 1? 1/1.7" sensor, 28-300mm zoom range, constant f/2.8 aperture and built-in, high-res electronic viewfinder. Jacket pocketable when powered down. Technically, it might work very well for you. But, at $699, it's probably too expensive right now (although that could change).

Panasonic's LF1 is very pocketable (a bit smaller than a Sony RX100), features a 1/1.7" sensor, a 28-200mm zoom range and a built-in, low-res electronic viewfinder. It's been on sale for $299 but that might not last much longer.

Last edited by Biro; Jan 1, 2014 at 5:31 PM.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2014, 2:55 AM   #6
Super Moderator

You can also get the Fujifilm XS1 for a very good price now. Same sensor as the X10, good zoom range.

A very nice little camera that never sold as well as it should have - which means you can get a great deal on one.