Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 14, 2014, 1:16 AM   #1

Default Compact Point and Shoot

Hi,
I would like a recommendation or two on a compact mid-range point and shoot. I would like to be able to take good quality (not professional but printable), 20-29 min 1080p video of my kid and dog, take pictures outside or indoors of family and would probably like 10-15X zoom minimum. My price range would be in the range of $250 or lower. I was thinking of the Canon SX280 but with the battery issue on videos they are having I am unsure if the firmware truly fixes it.

Thanks!
steelerfan500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 14, 2014, 8:44 PM   #2

I did some research and two cameras that I found similar to the Canon SX280 with favorable reviews are the Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS25 and the Nikon s9500. Does anyone have any experience with either of these cameras?
Old Jan 15, 2014, 2:13 PM   #3

Consider also the older TZ30/ZS20... which actually in some regards has a higher spec than the TZ35/ZS25- as the former was the TOP model at the time...whereas the TZ35/ZS25 is deliberately a step below the TZ40/ZS30...
I cannot vouch for the Nikon S9500- but my own experiences of various "TZ"s is positive... with brisk AF and VERY accurate metering- great for images straight off the camera...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2014, 6:53 PM   #4

Default Thanks!

Thanks Simon, I found one of those on Amazon and from the reviews I read on a few different sites it sounds like a good fit for me. I looked at the ZS30 but it is around $300 right now and the ZS20 is only about $160 so that is a better deal for almost the same camera. I did read there is some camera shake with video at 20X but I can't imagine needing to zoom that far anyway on video, the newer model seems to have resolved this but at twice the cost i am not sure its worth it. I should be getting the ZS20 on Friday so I have the weekend to play with my new toy!

Have a great day!

Barbara.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 9:19 PM   #5

look into the Olympus and Fuji high zoom cameras. Lower prices, good IQ, big zoom, better value than Canon or Nikon or Panasonic.
romphotog is offline   Reply With Quote