Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 26, 2014, 4:04 AM   #21

hey, a lot of us have gone through the stress of deciding on a camera... i am actually renting one of the cameras and lenses on my list after spending time at stores with each of them. i must say, the rental is money well spent as i've found that using a camera in store, no matter how long they let you play with it, doesn't come close to being able to do some of the actual shooting you'll be doing with it.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2014, 7:24 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritgod View Post
And now I'm contemplating the Canon EOS 60D or Nikon D7000.
The Canon 60D and the Nikon D7000 are both fine cameras.

But the 60D has about a one-stop disadvantage with regard to image noise, and it's dynamic range isn't up to what the Nikon's have. And while the D7000 is on par with the D5200 as far as dynamic range and signal-to-noise-ratio are concerned, the D7000 has a 16MP sensor while the D5200 has a 24MP sensor. Image noise is individual errant pixels, and higher resolution images mean that each individual pixel is less important when looking at the entire image. So the same level of noise in a higher resolution image is less objectionable. And since you want to shoot at night, high ISO image noise is something you should consider.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2014, 7:30 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
The Canon 60D and the Nikon D7000 are both fine cameras.

But the 60D has about a one-stop disadvantage with regard to image noise, and it's dynamic range isn't up to what the Nikon's have. And while the D7000 is on par with the D5200 as far as dynamic range and signal-to-noise-ratio are concerned, the D7000 has a 16MP sensor while the D5200 has a 24MP sensor. Image noise is individual errant pixels, and higher resolution images mean that each individual pixel is less important when looking at the entire image. So the same level of noise in a higher resolution image is less objectionable. And since you want to shoot at night, high ISO image noise is something you should consider.
Whoops. Not the D7000 but the D7100

pcake - That's a really smart idea. I've been to one store so far and held the Nikon D5200, I just don't have a lot of time in the day to go out searching and I haven't a clue if there are camera places in my area that rents them out...I assume no, but I'll give it a search. I'm talking with a friend of mine who makes a living with photography and am learning a lot from him as well, which I'll also ask about stores and the like. I think I'm the most torn on which bracket of cameras I want to dive into first, the ones meant for beginners or the ones in the middle range. I am a beginner but I also know that this will be something I'll stick to and don't want to end up buying a new camera three years from now because the one I have, though it has served me well, isn't on par with what I want at the time.

Last edited by spiritgod; Jan 26, 2014 at 8:24 AM.
spiritgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2014, 9:04 AM   #24

LensRentals.com: You can rent multiple bodies and multiple lenses, and as long as the bodies are all from one manufacturer, all the lenses will fit all the bodies.

... and, btw, LensRentals.com has both the lenses I mentioned.

Last edited by TCav; Jan 26, 2014 at 9:07 AM.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 9:12 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritgod View Post
Whoops. Not the D7000 but the D7100
Not surprisingly, the D7100 and the D5200 both have very similar image quality, since they both use the same Sony 24MP APS-C sensor.

The biggest difference between the D7100 and the D5200 is that the D7100 has its own internal AF motor, so it can AF lenses that don't. That doesn't affect the lenses I mentioned, but the D7100 will be able to AF more older lenses that you're likely to find on the Used Market, which could save you a lot of money in the long run.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 1:37 PM   #26

I think I like the idea of getting the D7100, of course I could change my mind. I'll more than likely rent the D7100 and the Canon EOS 60D or 70D and rent the stock lenses for them and then the lenses Tcav recommended, my reasoning is, I could purchase two stock lenses or get one of the recommended and just wait on the other. Just weighing my options is all. I'm assuming I'll need a memory card on hand for renting the cameras? My friend gave me some literature to read and look over so I've also got that.

Another quick question if I may. In regards to printing. Is there a printer on the market that most people go with or do a lot of people shop online or the old-fashioned stores near where they live to do their printing? I have a Brother all in one that I'll stick with for the time being, but wanted to know of other options.

Thanks again everyone, all of you have given me more than enough to think about and I hope to stay within this community for a long time to come.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 6:36 PM   #27

When you rent your gear\, be sure to put it through its paces for all thetypes of photography you want to be able to do.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 8:55 PM   #28

Quote:
When you rent your gear\, be sure to put it through its paces for all thetypes of photography you want to be able to do.
Thanks! I will. I really am just testing quality of image, if I can even tell, and whether or not I should go stock lenses or one of the more expensive third-party lenses as my beginning lens. But of course I'm going to shoot most, if not all, of the types I want to shoot, just to see if the camera in question can handle it, or handle it better.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 11:19 PM   #29

that's where i rented the SL1 and lens from, and i'll be trying a few others cameras from them as well. very impressed with the way they do business so far.

i took the camera and lens out birding, did beach pics, macros, low light, very low light and some nature pics, and i made sure to try every feature i usually use when i shoot. in fact, i did discover that i don't care for the way the SL1 implements exposure compensation, and there's no way to access white balance with a dial or button, only through the quick menu. i hadn't noticed those things in store. using the camera in real life, i discovered that i really liked the viewfinder, and the grip was actually surprisingly comfortable. so i'm very happy with my first rental, as i got lots of useful information and some purty pics.

so, spiritgod, i definitely recommend a rental or two. it sure beats ending up with a camera that doesn't suit you!

Quote:
LensRentals.com: You can rent multiple bodies and multiple lenses, and as long as the bodies are all from one manufacturer, all the lenses will fit all the bodies.

... and, btw, LensRentals.com has both the lenses I mentioned.

Last edited by pcake; Jan 26, 2014 at 11:25 PM.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2014, 2:22 PM   #30

I know this is probably getting old. I will be renting the Nikon D7100 and the Canon EOS 70D, but that won't happen for a few weeks from now. I'm still doing as much research on both cameras as I can. Is it me or does the image quality of the D7100 just look better than the 70D. I think I'm so reluctant because I love everything about the 70D, but it lacks, at least in my opinion, the image quality of the D7100.

I also wanted to ask a question to those that might know, well, actually two questions. Does the D7100 have a problem with oil and dust getting on the sensor? If so, is this easy to handle or deal with? And my last question. If I did decide to get the 70D, could Photoshop handle the image quality issues that I'm concerned about? I use Photoshop on a lot of the pictures I take and have done some pretty amazing things with the program, but am still uncertain.