Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 28, 2014, 4:46 PM   #31

Both the D7100 and the 70D are fine cameras.

That having been said, the D7100 has a 24MP sensor while the 70D has a 20MP sensor. That, all by itself means the Nikon will have better image quality. But beyond that, DxOMark tests show that the D7100 has slightly less noise and greater dynamic range than the 70D.

The most important factor in your decision should be the lenses. Since the lenses I mentioned are from third party manufacturers, they're available for both Canon and Nikon bodies, so that shouldn't steer you in one direction or the other. Unless there's a lens from Canon that you would prefer, and to my way of thinking, there isn't, then your decision should come down to the bodies. Since the image quality from the Nikon is better than from the Canon, I can only presume that there is some feature or combination of features that keeps you coming back to the Canon. Can you go into any detail about your thinking?
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2014, 5:03 PM   #32

The auto-focus in video is one. I witnessed video being shot with both cameras and the Canon kept up with the figure walking about more while the Nikon jumped around a lot. I like the thought of the swivel and touchscreen screen of the Canon, while I like the focus sensor on the front of the Nikon with the two memory card slots. I don't think I'll be taking a lot of fast moving photos, but that doesn't mean I don't want to and haven't a clue if the not so great buffer performance on the Nikon makes that much difference in it all. Apparently the Canon does better in low-light surroundings than the Nikon, and I'll be taking a good amount of low-light photos.

I guess I see all this information in front of me and not really have the concept of what it all really means. I see scores and reviews left and right, but the only concrete information in front of me is the images I see from both cameras. I think I really just want the Canon EOS 70D with the same image quality of the Nikon D7100.
spiritgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2014, 5:31 PM   #33

DSLRs use Phase Detection AF systems which require the use of a second mirror projecting light from the lens down into the AF sensors in the base of the camera body. During 'Live View' and while recording video, this second mirror would block the view of the subject. Most dSLRs use Contrast Detection AF in these situations. CDAF is more accurate than PDAF for sill subjects, but with moving subjects and when panning, PDAF performs better. The Nikon D7100 uses CDAF for 'Live View' and when recording video. Canon uses a Hybrid AF system in the 70D which uses phase detection AF sensors embedded on the image sensor in between the photo receptors, so it outperforms the D7100 in this one particular instance.

And the Canon does not do better in low light, the Nikon does. That's what the DxOMark test results show. But the difference is slight.

As I've said earlier, they're both fine cameras. I'm certain you'll be happy with either one.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 7:48 PM   #34

You're right. I'm making this more difficult than it has to be. I'll be going with the D7100 just because I'll regret not having that quality and will constantly second guess myself. I'll still rent lenses though, cause I'm very curious to see some images from that one lens you recommended. Thanks again for all the help!
Old Jan 30, 2014, 7:10 PM   #35

I am having the same dilemma between the Canon 70D and Nikon D7100. I wonder how spiritgod's D7100 purchase is working out.

I also notice that the Nikon D7100 seems to have better picture quality. That is more important to me than the video capabilities of the Canon 70D. My photos are mostly nature, landscape, macro, nighttime (fireworks) and occasional candid shots of people. Unfortunately, even though I know several people happy with their Nikon cameras, I am very biased against them after having a dismal experience with a point and shoot camera. That said, I may plunge once again into Nikon territory as the D7100 seems to have the picture quality I desire.
Cam9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2014, 9:45 PM   #36

I have a 70D and love it. The D7100 doesn't have better IQ and 24 mp doesn't mean anything over 20 mp. But I do agree that you can't go wrong with either one.

EFS 15-85
EF 100-400 L IS ll

http://timpharoahphotography.ca/
HavToNo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2014, 3:15 AM   #37
Super Moderator

It's easy to get freaked out over differences that are almost always too small for even an expert eye to notice.

Your technique and creative vision will be 100 times more important in your results with these cameras than any real difference between the D7100 and 70D.

Both are fine cameras. Actually handling both cameras is a very good idea because some people find that Canon and Nikon have a different gestalt and fit and feel different in the hand and in operation.

I have always felt more comfortable with Canon than Nikon. Some fancy that the Canon is more feminine and the Nikon more masculine in a very nebulous way and that distinction sits well in my imagination. Nikon always feel more no-nonsense and macho in its operation.

Having said that however, I just sold all my Canon equipment and have replaced it with Sony, which I don't really know how to describe. Perhaps "intellectual" or "clever" but a bit "cold" and "unemotional".

If this all sounds like nonsense, well it is, so feel free to ignore it - unless that is, you handle the cameras and feel it too. People do bond with their tools/gadgets and if you get that special bond with the design of a particular brand then it helps to make the process of taking photographs more rewarding and comfortable.

The truth is that at the moment - if you are going to spend $1,000 - you are going to get some extremely capable equipment, far better than was available to many of the world's great photographers. And you, with your incredible equipment, are not going to make images like they did. At least not at first, and probably never. But don't let that stop you - I haven't let it stop me.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 11:28 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam9 View Post
I am having the same dilemma between the Canon 70D and Nikon D7100. I wonder how spiritgod's D7100 purchase is working out.

I also notice that the Nikon D7100 seems to have better picture quality. That is more important to me than the video capabilities of the Canon 70D. My photos are mostly nature, landscape, macro, nighttime (fireworks) and occasional candid shots of people. Unfortunately, even though I know several people happy with their Nikon cameras, I am very biased against them after having a dismal experience with a point and shoot camera. That said, I may plunge once again into Nikon territory as the D7100 seems to have the picture quality I desire.
I haven't purchased the camera yet, but will be in the next coming weeks. Right now I'm cramming as much knowledge on photography as I can. I was on the fence for a while but the amazing image quality of the D7100 is what made me choose it over the 70D, but that's the main reason why I'm picking the Nikon over the Canon.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 11:55 AM   #39

I'd agree with what HavToNo says and what peri' says... and although I shoot Nikon these days (I had a good deal), I'd still rather a Canon...lol...

Last edited by SIMON40; Jan 31, 2014 at 5:51 PM.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2014, 1:04 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavToNo View Post
The D7100 doesn't have better IQ ...
See DxOMark's Measurements, in particular the Dynamic Range.

Quote:
... and 24 mp doesn't mean anything over 20 mp.
That's a 10% increase in the level of detail that can be captured. It also means that the noise in an image from a D7100 is slightly less noticeable than that in an image from a 70D, which, btw, has slightly more noise.

Quote:
But I do agree that you can't go wrong with either one.
Amen to that.