Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 11, 2014, 11:34 AM   #1

Default help for high end compact choice

My criteria:
portability
great quality images
decent zoom
decent video
panorama mode
if possible EV (but not a deal breaker)

Cameras I've been looking at:
Sony Hx50
Sony Rx100
Olympus stylus 1
Lumix lx7 (though too big I think)
Tz60

I can pick up the Rx100 for a good price at the moment but the small zoom puts me off. Does anyone know if it has a digital zoom also, and if so how good is it?

Unsure what to get so if anyone has experience with any of these it would help

thanks
jillmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 11, 2014, 12:01 PM   #2

ANY camera has 'digital zoom' capability - it is called 'cropping'
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 12:36 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernabeu View Post
ANY camera has 'digital zoom' capability - it is called 'cropping'
Forgive my ignorance on this as I am fairly new to the technical aspects of photography. Am I correct in my understanding that cropping is done in a program such as photoshop after the event, as opposed to a digital zoom which is done in camera?
Old Feb 11, 2014, 2:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillmus View Post
Forgive my ignorance on this as I am fairly new to the technical aspects of photography. Am I correct in my understanding that cropping is done in a program such as photoshop after the event, as opposed to a digital zoom which is done in camera?
It amounts to the same thing in the end. Digital zoom does the cropping in camera, and resizes to nominal pixel dimensions. The same thing is accomplished with photo editors after the fact.
The advantage of doing it in the camera is that the cam has the raw sensor data to work with, and should give superior results. (unless you use raw in your editor)

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 2:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTphotog View Post
It amounts to the same thing in the end. Digital zoom does the cropping in camera, and resizes to nominal pixel dimensions. The same thing is accomplished with photo editors after the fact.
The advantage of doing it in the camera is that the cam has the raw sensor data to work with, and should give superior results. (unless you use raw in your editor)

brian
Thanks Brian, that clarify s it nicely. I've just looked it up and the RX100 has something called a clear zoom (or something to that effect) which, as you say, does it in the camera.

I'm leaning toward the RX100!
Old Feb 11, 2014, 10:41 PM   #6

i haven't been satisfied with digital zoom, which always seems to promise more than it delivers. that being said, the Sony Rx100 has a bigger sensor, which should help in that department. since i wanted a little bigger sensor with a little more zoom and an EVF, i ended up going with the panasonic LF1.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2014, 6:02 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcake View Post
i haven't been satisfied with digital zoom, which always seems to promise more than it delivers. that being said, the Sony Rx100 has a bigger sensor, which should help in that department. since i wanted a little bigger sensor with a little more zoom and an EVF, i ended up going with the panasonic LF1.
I hadn't considered the LF1. How are you finding it?
Old Feb 12, 2014, 5:26 PM   #8

jillmus- Of the cameras you listed...
The IQ between the HX50 and RX100 is night and day...(as is the zoom range..!)
The LX7 is a good deal smaller than the Stylus 1...
The TZ60's viewfinder would be a boon for stability at the long zoom end...
The RX100 might not have much zoom,but with 20mp you could crop post shot whilst retaining a good level of detail- in effect adding more zoom...

What you plan to shoot might/should sway you in one direction or another...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2014, 3:09 AM   #9

Thanks Simon

Looking for a good travel camera...I love landscapes and sky's, water etc
also like wildlife
Old Feb 13, 2014, 3:25 AM   #10

Was leaning toward the RX100 yesterday because: 1 inch sensor (in a pocket camera is astounding).
Seems to perform well in all conditions
good video quality
the only hesitation is the short zoom (though I understand the reasons for this on such a camera). As you say, I could crop the shots thud creating a sort of zoom.

Now looking at the Olympus 1. It seems to do well on the picture front but video leaves a lot to be desired (focusing is not great)
Only reason I'm considering it is because it not only seems to take good pics (according to the reviews) but has a bit more zoom, and an EV (which by all accounts is pretty good). I need glasses to read so a screen would be a pain, and I'm used to having a viewfinder.

I've been looking at the Panasonic fz200..it's bigger than I'd wanted but looks a good camera with 24x zoom. For picture quality thought the Olympus comes out better on paper due to the larger sensor.

Difficult

I had an old Nikon coolpix for years. It took great pics, but I always found myself thinking 'if only I could zoom a bit closer'. It had 4x zoom as compared to the RX100 of 3x

So, as I guess most of you have been through this, I find that the exact wish list doesn't match up to any one camera, hence me struggling with the desicion. Bottom line I'd go for quality (Rx100)
, but would like this with a bit more zoom.