Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 14, 2014, 10:00 AM   #1

Default Need help with a G9 replacement for my wife

Hello all. I am a long time lurker and first time poster. Thanks for all you do!

I need a little guidance for a camera for my wife. We have a d90 and until recently a G9. She loves the image quality of the d90, but the portability of the G9. The G9 finally decided to give out so we are looking for something similar as a replacement. We have young children so something that is able to get decent photos in less that ideal conditions is a must.

Also, we have to buy the new camera from Best Buy. I know, I know, not ideal but don't ask....

Here are my options...

I would love to preorder the Canon G1X Mark II but that is probably a little expensive for us...

Canon G1X - $549
This is the natural replacement I think. We like the G9 and this seems like a pretty large upgrade from it.

Nikon Coolpix P7700 - $419
I like Nikon equipment and this seems like this might be a good fit.

Olympus XZ-2: $299
I know nothing about this, but it was on the "Best Cameras" page and is on sale for $299.

Fuji X20 - $500
This looks like an interesting option, but again, I dont know a lot about it.

Sony RX100 - $550
I've heard good things, but have never owned a Sony camera.

Thanks so much for your help, and please let me know if I am missing anything!

Last edited by JohnnyBighead; Feb 14, 2014 at 10:15 AM.
JohnnyBighead is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 14, 2014, 10:49 AM   #2

I'm guessing the G15/16 is not available from Best Buy...?

All the camera's listed here are very nice in their own right...

The G1X is not the quickest focuser- may or may not be an issue for you..?
The P7700 has a very sharp lens- and useful reach...
The XZ-2- nice litle cam- but perhaps the short zoom may be an issue- as might be the small controls...?
The X20- for those used to a viewfinder- could be just the ticket- and nice manual zoom/fast lens....
The RX100's large sensor has its obvious advantages- but all of the others offer faster lenses at anything other than wide-angle setting- which levels up the playing field a bit... but nice camera,nonetheless...

Maybe put Panasonic's LX-7 in the list also...?

Last edited by SIMON40; Feb 14, 2014 at 1:34 PM.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2014, 11:45 AM   #3

The G15 and 16 are available. Not sure how I missed them before.

I have get the G15 for $349 and the G16 for $453.

Would one of those be a better option?
JohnnyBighead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2014, 1:48 PM   #4

I believe the G16 focuses faster (though the G15 isn't slow) and has a faster burst rate (due to the newer Digic 6 processor)...and is Wi-Fi enabled.
The G16 also has some additions in the creative scene modes,an improved HDR mode and focus peaking.
The new processer also lends itself to improved colour depth and slightly better high iso performance.
See here- http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compa...-G15___903_837

Last edited by SIMON40; Feb 14, 2014 at 1:53 PM.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2014, 9:13 PM   #5

my husband recently got a G15, and we're both super impressed with it. fast lens, good image quality, pretty portable and light, and nice functionality. the OVF isn't great but it's fine for both of us. the LX7 is a nice camera, but if your wife uses her viewfinder, you'd have to get the attachable EVF, which makes the camera bigger and more cumbersome. it's got great build quality, though.

i came very close to getting another G15, but wanted more reach and a smaller body for my carryaround camera, so i ended up with a panny LF1. not quite as many controls, and the finder is an EVF, image quality isn't quite as good and the lens is just a little slower at f/2, but overall i'm liking it quite a bit. that being said, if the G15 had a little more zoom, i'd have gone with it. the LF1 is nice in lower light, but the G15 is a little nicer.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote