Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 8, 2014, 2:14 AM   #1

Default Canon 650D vs Nikon D5200

Well,

I am struggling with a decision... A few years ago I bought a Sony NEX hoping for a good value, but as soon as I realized that decent lenses were too expensive, I decided to sell it and wait for a real dSLR...

Now the time has come, and I have no idea on what to do. My two options are:

Canon 650D (T5i) with 18-135 kit lense
Nikon D5200 with 18-105 kit lense

Until this point, price tags are similar so that would not be an issue. What bothers me a bit is this:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/stud...31179495149655

The Nikon seems to produce less sharp output, but I'm not sure wether to trust that comparision or not...

Now, what I want to buy afterwards:

Nikon 35mm 1.8 (about $200)

or

Sigma 35mm 1.4 (much more expensive)

I have read various comparisions about these lenses and they both seem quite OK for me, but I don't know why the Nikon is so much cheaper than any Canon alternative...

With these lenses I would be covering most of what I need, at least in the next 18 -24 Months...

What I normally need is an all around lense for travel photos that can do more than a 18-55 (both kit lenses cover it), and some fixed and fast lense that can be used to take nice portraid pictures even with low light conditions...

I will eventually take some short videos, but this is not too important to me, even my cell phone more or less covers my video needs...

From the price tags, I would go for the Nikon, but I'm just struggling with the sharpness of the Nikon pictures. What are the experiences there?

And, if I want more lenses later (have no idea what I will be wanting / needing), where do I have the better chances to get good and amateur-priced lenses?

Regards

Last edited by schmiedel; Mar 8, 2014 at 2:19 AM.
schmiedel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 8, 2014, 5:20 AM   #2

It seems Nikon fares way better,also consider the new Nikon D3300 and the D5300 being and bringing later and better set of specs.
http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-EO...vs-Nikon-D5200
wanaclick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2014, 5:33 AM   #3

The Nikon D5200 has less noise and more dynamic range than the Canon 650D.

The Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR DX AF-S has a lot less chromatic aberration than the Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM. (There isn't much else that distinguishes them from one another.)

I'd say that the Nikon was the clear winner.

As for portrait lenses, 35mm is on the short side, and would be prone to perspective distortion (big noses and small ears.) Even for couples portraits and environmental portraits, I think it would be too short.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2014, 7:44 AM   #4

Thank you for your responses...

About the 3300D, it would have about the same price tag as the 5200D with the 18-105 lense. And the 7000D would also be the same price. Would it make any sense to get the 3300D over the 5200D with the same lense for same price?

The 7100D with the 18-105 or the 5300D with the 18-140 would be like 35% more expensive, I really don't think it's worth it (even though the 5300D is tempting with the nice lense and built in WiFi and GPS, but then again I need to put a limit on the budget).

About the lenses, thank you very much, I now can be sure that Nikon is the way to go for my situation, Canon is just too expensive for my needs.

And about portraits, maybe I wasn't clear enough. I want that lense for good "social photography" and for having a lense with a really fast aperture (2.0 or faster). I have tried once with a 50mm, but it is too close for most situations. Maybe having both 35mm and 50mm is the way to go, but for my needs the 35mm is a good startup...

Now my only doubt is about what Nikon model would be the way to go, seeing that I have 3 choices, but this should be easier to decide...

And about the "softer" or "less sharp" output, I read that the Nikon cameras with the 24MP sensors don't do too well with the 18-55 lense. Might that be the cause why the test I checked seems to be "limited"? All picture samples from Nikon I find on the web show astonishing sharpness, but the dpreview comparision shows on almost all Nikon models some amount of unsharpness.

Regards

Last edited by schmiedel; Mar 8, 2014 at 7:54 AM.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 9:01 AM   #5

There is a distinct difference between the 7X00 series and the 5X00 and 3X00 series. The 7X00 series have an AF motor in the body, while the 5X00 and 3X00 series rely on the AF motor in the lens. Nikon's AF-S lenses have their own AF motors, as do all current Sigma and Tamron lenses, but some of the older Nikon lenses and many of the lenses you'll find in the used market don't.

Another important distinction is that the 7X00 series have battery packs/vertical grips available, while the lesser series don't.

Only you can determine if these are important enough to you for you to pend the extra money.

Beyond that:
  • The D5300 and D7100 have 3.2" LCD monitors, while the rest have 3.0" monitors
  • The D5200 and D5300 have tilting LCD monitors
  • The D7X00 has a better viewfinder
  • The D5300 has GPS built-in
  • The D7X00 has shutter speeds as fast as 1/8000, while the rest are limited to 1/4000
  • The 3X00 series have 11 AF Points, the 5X00 series have 39 AF Points, and the 7X00 series have 51 AF points
  • The 5X00 and 7X00 series have mirror lock up to reduce camera shake when using a tripod during long exposures
  • The 3X00 series doesn't do exposure bracketing, the 5X00 series can bracket 3 frames in steps of 1/3 or 1/2 EV, and the 7X00 can bracket 2 to 5 frames in steps of 1/3, 1/2, 2/3, 1, 2, or 3 EV

Last edited by TCav; Mar 9, 2014 at 3:55 PM. Reason: Corrected "AF Points"
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2014, 10:15 AM   #6

Thanks a lot TCav,

Your last post summarizes everything I need (except for the Sensor and Processor information which I have already checked)...

From the features, I think I will stick with the D5200 at the end... I really like the extra features of the D5300, but I don't believe they're worth a 35% higher price tag...

My decision is based on: I will hardly need an older Nikon Objective without a built-in Motor, specially because there are a lot of "affordable" AF-S lenses out there...

The other factor is the tiltable viewfinder, which is a nogo in professional photography, but in the amateur world it can sometimes be useful...

And, the most important factor is that I really want a decent lense over a better body, so I would rather take the D5200 with the 18-105 than any better / newer model with the 18-55...

So, again, thank you all for the valuable opinions. I am now really happy with the decision and I think it will cover what I need...

Regards
Old Mar 8, 2014, 2:36 PM   #7

The D5200 offers a superior AF system over the 650D- and with some "soft" Nikon images you've seen, I wouldn't mind betting that they were shot with the standard 18-55 VR lens- which is far from the sharpest lens out there... and would be shown up pretty badly on a high resolution sensor...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote