Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 11, 2014, 1:05 PM   #11

I agree with the other respondents that a super zoom will give you much more reach than anything you could afford with a DSLR.
If you want a Sony DSLR, I suggest getting an A65 instead of the A77. I think the sensor is the same and the resolution is the same.
If you want a superzoom, I would consider the Canon SX50hs (as others have said), the Nikon P600, and the Fuji HS50exr or Fuji X-S1, which has a super macro mode. The X-S1 was originally priced at over $700, but now sells for $350 at Amazon. It is only 12 megapixels, but the image quality is pretty good for a superzoom.
If you get a "cheap" 70-300mm lens for a DSLR, you will spend $150-200 and there will be distortion and purple fringing. If you get a more expensive one, but not the best, you will spend over $400 probably, which is about what the superzooms that I mentioned cost.
If it were me, I would go for either the SX50hs or the X-S1.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 6:52 PM   #12
FTG

Funny you should say that... I actually have the 200 right now. I love the optical image stabilization. Only problem is I kinda broke it. Thanks though, I had considered that model when I saw it at Target.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
I think you'd be better off with something like the Sony HX300:
  • 20MP 1/2.3" CMOS sensor
  • 50X Optical Zoom
  • Optical image stabilization
  • 3.0" Tiltable LCD Monitor
  • 10 frames per second burst mode for stills
  • Full HD video (60p/60i)
  • 360° Sweep Panorama
  • 1 cm minimum focus distance.
... or any of the similar cameras on the market
FTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 7:00 PM   #13
FTG

Thanks. After reading these replies and researching a bit more I think I should focus more on the sensor size and megapixels, since nearly any DSLR will support a close up lens and a separate zoom lens, which I am willing to buy. I think the D800 looks amazing with a huge sensor and 36MP, but it's wayyy more than these other cameras you guys are recommending. I guess my real question should be how I want to approach this. Considering most lenses, lenss, lensi, multiple optical data image catalysts 😛 are compatible within the same family of cameras, should I spend less now and get a new camera every year or two, or get something really nice and keep it until world war three? I don't suppose you would have some input on that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbo View Post
I agree with the other respondents that a super zoom will give you much more reach than anything you could afford with a DSLR.
If you want a Sony DSLR, I suggest getting an A65 instead of the A77. I think the sensor is the same and the resolution is the same.
If you want a superzoom, I would consider the Canon SX50hs (as others have said), the Nikon P600, and the Fuji HS50exr or Fuji X-S1, which has a super macro mode. The X-S1 was originally priced at over $700, but now sells for $350 at Amazon. It is only 12 megapixels, but the image quality is pretty good for a superzoom.
If you get a "cheap" 70-300mm lens for a DSLR, you will spend $150-200 and there will be distortion and purple fringing. If you get a more expensive one, but not the best, you will spend over $400 probably, which is about what the superzooms that I mentioned cost.
If it were me, I would go for either the SX50hs or the X-S1.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 7:06 PM   #14
FTG

Wow, that's an amazing range! Is it just expensive as it is amazing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanaclick View Post
Ypu may also consider Panasonic FZ200+LT55 tele extender or FZ70 with 20mm to 1200mm zoom.FZ 200 close-ups and macros must be seen to be believed.Only condition is they work better outdoors than indoors.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 7:09 PM   #15
FTG

Thanks. I want to get small objects like coins and beads, as well as distant scenes and small things like animals from great distances. 300ft or more of possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMON40 View Post
FTG- you can purchase all manner of lenses for a D3300 or such like- and whilst the usual supplied "kit" lens (typically an 18-55 lens) is "ok" for close ups, you'd be limited to shooting subjects such as the size of flowers as opposed to say small insects. Getting really close would require a proper "macro" lens.
Much the same for distance subjects- all lens dependant.

What do you plan to shoot...?
Old Mar 11, 2014, 7:11 PM   #16
FTG

Thank you. I like your suggestion. It is more expensive, but that doesn't necessarily eliminate it as an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrehoban View Post
I would reccomend the A77 as I have captured some really cool butterfly and bee shots with a 300mm lens. As for the teleconverters, it depends on the teleconverter, itself, and the lens with which it is paired. You really need to do your homework to determin if the teleconverter will work with your particular lens.

The A77 is the highest rated “dslr” in its class on the dpreview website at 81%. The Cannon EOS 60D comes in at 79% and the Nikon D7000 comes in at 80%. Pretty fair review from what I see!
BH tends to carry a good selection of options and most will list the compatible lenses. Good Luck !!
Old Mar 11, 2014, 7:15 PM   #17
FTG

I lpve photography and I'm willing to invest as much time as I need to learn more. As for the budget, that's not as unlimited. I'll be getting a job this summer and luckily I should get to keep a decent amount after college and savings. I'll save up as much as I need if it's really worth the money, but something tells me interest aside I don't need a $5,000 camera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
If you have a significant budget, a dSLR will do what you want, but it will require you to invest, not just money, but also your time and effort in order to learn the system and get proficient with it before you can expect to get results you'll be happy with.

You are much more likely to hit the ground running with something like the Sony HX300 I mentioned or the Panasonic FZ200 or FZ70 that wanaclick mentioned.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 7:59 PM   #18

As far as bridges/superzooms go- if I REALLY needed 1000+ mm, I'd be looking at the Canon SX50. There are other "Super-long" zoom bridges (some with higher resolution) but I think the Canon lens up front is optically the sharpest at full-range.
Resolution per se offers more on larger sensors,but in my opinion,not on smaller 1/2.3" type sensors (typically found in super-zooms) and I think 12mp is optimum at this time...

You might prefer a manual zoom type superzoom (akin to an DSLR in operation...) such as Fuji's HS50,XS-1 or the new (and weather-proof) Fuji S1.

Less zoom,but probably sharper results (due to the optics not being stretched to ridiculous levels...) come in the form of the excellent FZ-200....

Upping the ante in the IQ stakes,build quality and resolution is the Sony RX10- a very nice (and pricey) alternative if 200mm is enough reach for you...

If you go the way of a DSLR,you have plenty of options- and I think it's fair to say there isn't a "bad" DSLR, just one that might not fit ones needs relative to their shooting type/style...

As for "needing" a $5000 camera- I strongly doubt that- great results can be had from one costing a tenth of that (in the right hands).
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote