Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 10, 2014, 3:30 PM   #1
FTG

Default Is this realistic or in a world of fantasy?

Hi! I have done a bit of research before joining this Forum and posting my question, so maybe someone here can just help me clarify what I've found.

I want a camera with amazing zoom and the highest resolution possible. My number one concern is the resolution. Yes, I know higher megapixels doesn't equal a better camera. I like knowing I can zoom in to a picture after it's taken without it getting pixelated, the more I can do so the better.

I like these two cameras because, among other things, they are both 24MP.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SLT-A77V-...T-A77V++camera

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Pro...533/D3300.html

As I look at higher end cameras I see the zoom is no longer a simple "25x" or "50x". It seems both of these cameras have interchangeable lenses, so the zoom isn't necessarily an inherent feature. What kind of zoom can I expect from each of these (in simple English please!)

It seems to me the D3300 is much cheaper and the included lens seems good for both small objects and close ups, as well as farther objects like people and buildings.

To summarize, would either of these cameras, or maybe a third you know of, have a ton of megapixels, and support both close ups and zooming in? I don't mind buying a second lens for zooming in really far. I have a tripod. I really hope someone knows how I can get the D3300 to take good close ups and far shots. It's much cheaper than the Sony and it can work with my smartphone as a remote and to share images, which I really like!

Sorry I keep going on. I just want to buy the right camera! Thanks so much to anyone who can help!

Oh, and would anyone also know of a good waterproof housing or universal bag of some kind? I know I keep asking questions! Sorry!
FTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 10, 2014, 3:54 PM   #2

amazing zoom on an APS-C sensor means a heavy lens and less functional zoom than on a smaller sensor camera. you can get more zoom - although less resolution - with a megazoom bridge camera. but you won't find a decent quality zoom lens that matches a camera like the canon SX50 anywhere.
http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...hs-review.html

scroll down to telephoto zoom lenses and you'll see the longest zoom costs well over $1500 and weighs over 2 1/2 pounds. its longest focal range is 400mm compared to the 1200mm the SX50 offers.
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consum...ef_lens_lineup

here's a nikon lens with the equivalent focal range - it costs over 5 grand and weighs over 7 pounds, and has 1/3 the reach on the long end of the canon SX50.
http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/lens..._vr2/index.htm

btw, saying 25x zoom or 50x zoom doesn't tell the entire story - a lens with 10x zoom starting at 18mm would reach to 180mm where a lens with 10x zoom starting at 25mm would reach to 250mm. if you're looking for a lens with reach, look for the longest number in 35mm equivalent.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2014, 7:46 PM   #3

I think you'd be better off with something like the Sony HX300:
  • 20MP 1/2.3" CMOS sensor
  • 50X Optical Zoom
  • Optical image stabilization
  • 3.0" Tiltable LCD Monitor
  • 10 frames per second burst mode for stills
  • Full HD video (60p/60i)
  • 360 Sweep Panorama
  • 1 cm minimum focus distance.
... or any of the similar cameras on the market
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2014, 7:51 PM   #4

And, yes, cameras with interchangeable lenses don't use the "10X" type notation for the amount of zoom. Some lenses for interchangeable lens cameras do, but it doesn't help much. See, that notation refers to the ratio of the length of the shortest focal length to the longest, so an 18-55mm zoom lens is about 3X, but so it a 70-200mm zoom lens. Since the actual focal length is a better indicator of the zoom range of a lens, everyone just uses that.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 10:04 PM   #5
FTG

Thanks. So would the D3300 and the lens it comes with be good for close ups? Could I buy a separate zoom lens for it?
FTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2014, 10:34 PM   #6

Ypu may also consider Panasonic FZ200+LT55 tele extender or FZ70 with 20mm to 1200mm zoom.FZ 200 close-ups and macros must be seen to be believed.Only condition is they work better outdoors than indoors.
wanaclick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 5:08 AM   #7

FTG- you can purchase all manner of lenses for a D3300 or such like- and whilst the usual supplied "kit" lens (typically an 18-55 lens) is "ok" for close ups, you'd be limited to shooting subjects such as the size of flowers as opposed to say small insects. Getting really close would require a proper "macro" lens.
Much the same for distance subjects- all lens dependant.

What do you plan to shoot...?
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 8:12 AM   #8

I would reccomend the A77 as I have captured some really cool butterfly and bee shots with a 300mm lens. As for the teleconverters, it depends on the teleconverter, itself, and the lens with which it is paired. You really need to do your homework to determin if the teleconverter will work with your particular lens.

The A77 is the highest rated “dslr” in its class on the dpreview website at 81%. The Cannon EOS 60D comes in at 79% and the Nikon D7000 comes in at 80%. Pretty fair review from what I see!
BH tends to carry a good selection of options and most will list the compatible lenses. Good Luck !!
andrehoban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 8:58 AM   #9

If you have a significant budget, a dSLR will do what you want, but it will require you to invest, not just money, but also your time and effort in order to learn the system and get proficient with it before you can expect to get results you'll be happy with.

You are much more likely to hit the ground running with something like the Sony HX300 I mentioned or the Panasonic FZ200 or FZ70 that wanaclick mentioned.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 9:56 AM   #10

depends on how picky you are. you can't get as close as you can with some lenses, and edge to edge sharpness (not to mention resolution) isn't going to be as good as with a higher end lens. it doesn't seem to me like the kit lens with any crop dslr is going to fulfill your needs you mention in your original post.

as far as zoom, you can buy a wide variety of lenses for the D3300. here's a few zoom lenses that should work with the D3300, although they won't get you anywhere near as long a zoom as you'll find on a camera like the SX50 or the FZ200:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...&print=Y&det=y

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTG View Post
Thanks. So would the D3300 and the lens it comes with be good for close ups? Could I buy a separate zoom lens for it?
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote