Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 30, 2014, 6:55 PM   #11

Hi All,

I just wanted to update you that I ended up purchasing a Sony HX400 (after a lot of deliberation). In a month's time when I start using it on my hikes, I'll know if I made a mistake or not

I made my decision after visiting a store this morning. I tried out the Nikon P600, Canon SX50HS and Sony HX300. The Nikon took an uncomfortable amount of time to lock its focus (around the 50 - 60X zoom range). The Canon was fast but I did not like its handling. The Sony had great handling (for a P&S). Also the manual zoom and focus via the lens ring was great. I was comfortable with its UI too as I own a Sony A580 (also a A300). A fully tilting screen would have been nice but I can live without it. The EVF sucked on all 3, so I don't see myself using it unless if the battery juice is running low. The store did not carry the Lumix FZ200, so I'm going to convince myself that a 50X zoom is more worth it for me.

Also note that I got the newer HX400 for ~$100 more, for the few minor upgrades - WiFi, GPS, built-in eye-sensor, the new Bionz X image processor.

Thanks again for your all your input, which helped me make my decision.

@Phil: Love the picture of the Osprey. Nice capture.

- Nev
nevsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2014, 7:14 PM   #12

The HX400 is a fine camera. I hope it works out well for you.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2014, 3:09 PM   #13

G'day Nev

Well I'm glad that you have been able to make your decision with enough info [+ confusion ? ] to put it all together.

Keep in touch and let us know how it all goes in practice
Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2014, 11:47 AM   #14

Well this thread was a wonderful find and welcome relief to my month long struggle of trying to figure out what camera to buy for my daughter. She wanted a camera for the same purposes you mentioned.

I was narrowed down to two ..this Sony you chose and The Nikon P600. The focusing issue you mentioned made the decision easy.

Now..I want to get her a memory card to go with it..and this always baffles me. There are so many choices and really, I don't know what the different marketing type terms mean. They list SD, SDHC and SDXC memory card Memory Stick PRO Duo™/Pro-HG Duo™ media. Then within those I find there are a gazillon choices again. Could you point me to a card that would be great for her? There is no sense getting her this nifty little camera with a less than super nifty card!

Thanks for any help you can provide!!
Myrick Brownpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2014, 3:57 PM   #15

G'day mate

This topic might be better located into a new thread .... Mods??

As to memory cards -
The industry standard is the "SD" card - used by about 90% of cameras these days
Sony cameras use a proprietory card called a Memory Stick
[and some of the expensive dSLR professional cameras use a card called CF - but you're not likely to meet one of these cameras]

So - if you buy a Sony camera, you'll need a Sony Memory Stick ...

Otherwise you'll end up with a SD card - forget the other letters for now - and probably the best 'bang-for-the-buck will be an 8Gb card called a "class-10" card

Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2014, 4:31 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie_Traveller View Post
So - if you buy a Sony camera, you'll need a Sony Memory Stick ...
Sony's cameras use a card slot that can accept either Memory Sticks or SD cards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrick Brownpuppy View Post
Now..I want to get her a memory card to go with it..and this always baffles me. There are so many choices and really, I don't know what the different marketing type terms mean. They list SD, SDHC and SDXC memory card Memory Stick PRO Duo™/Pro-HG Duo™ media. Then within those I find there are a gazillon choices again. Could you point me to a card that would be great for her? There is no sense getting her this nifty little camera with a less than super nifty card!
The difference between an SD Card, an SDHC card and an SDXC card, for all intents and purposes, is the capacity of the card. SD Cards are 4GB or less, SDHC cards are between 4 and 32 GB, and SDXC cards are over 32GB. (There are other differences, but they are primarily a result of the differences in capacity.)

The Speed Class is an indication of how fast data can be written to the card. Faster cameras need faster cards for larger image files, video, and continuous shooting. The Sony HX300/HX300 requires at least a Class 4 card, but a faster card won't hurt.

I'd recommend a Lexar Professional or a SanDisk Extreme SDHC card. You should be able to find either one at most major retailers.

Last edited by TCav; Apr 2, 2014 at 4:34 PM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2014, 9:23 PM   #17

Thanks so much- I really appreciate the help!!!
Myrick Brownpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2014, 2:52 AM   #18

Good discussion .

Been thinking of getting the DSC400V .

Can you please share your hand on review for the camera .

And what would be the best camera among Bridge options that has the best image quality and a better performance at giving shallow field of depth images
royal_lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2014, 1:38 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal_lion View Post

And what would be the best camera among Bridge options that has the best image quality and a better performance at giving shallow field of depth images
THE Panosonic FZ200 might do the job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixhKr3iTvIU

Rudi
rudimaes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2014, 5:13 PM   #20

I too keeping an eye on this thread... I do hope royal_lion gets back with his findings.

I use a Canon A650 at the moment a mighty fine camera that can hold it's own I find... well, for me anyway. The down side is the small x6 zoom, also been looking at Pannys TZ series as well.

I think I may be jumping before learning to hop here, a 20x zoom would be a vast improvement I guess over my x6 let alone a x60.

Do post a couple of piccy's, that would nice, a macro too would be even nicer.

Good luck with the new camera.

Dave
davy is offline   Reply With Quote