Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 10, 2014, 3:44 AM   #11

Just to add... I always use center point/area AF when shooting moving targets... just make sure you keep up...!!
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2014, 10:08 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTphotog View Post
Are the pets jumping fixed obstacles, as in dog shows, or training for such? If so, you need to manually focus on where the subject is going to be when you take the shot, not depend on the camera to try to catch a moving subject. Also, positioning yourself so the subject is moving across the field of vision, rather than towards or away from you helps. If possible, use a shoe mount or external flash, which will stop motion well, and allow you to use smaller apertures, to help keep pictures sharp even with slight mis-focus. If you can't use flash, go with a high enough ISO setting, as TCav mentions.
BTW, the pic for my avatar was taken with an all manual 35mm film camera.
brian
Thanks. I'm talking about situations where there is not a lot of predictability regarding location or timing of action.

TCav, when you said in a prior post that the NEX 6 is probably the best camera for what I want to do, I assume you meant vs micro 4/3, correct?

Keep in mind that this is not the sole use of my camera and probably not even the primary use, but it is something that I like to do from time to time. I'm not sure whether a DSLR makes sense (I would still want something small for travel), an A6000 or perhaps an LA-EA2 or 4 adapter, which would open up the possibility of A mount lenses, albeit without stabilization.

I'm not opposed to spending a little money or switching systems, etc., especially if it will prevent needing to do so down the road, but I do want to avoid spending money unnecessarily or chasing the perfect system that doesn't exist only to realize that what I had was just as good or if not better for my needs and interests.

One thing I can say is that I am learning a lot just experimenting and trying to get the best results with what I have.

Last edited by Traveler6; Apr 27, 2014 at 6:20 AM.
Traveler6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2014, 4:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Your 55-210 lens is probably the best for what you want to do, and your NEX-6 is probably the best camera for what you want to do. ...
Let me clarify that.

The 55-210 is the best native E-Mount lens for what you want to do, and the NEX-6 is the best NEX body for what you want to do. There are better lenses, but none of them are made for the E-Mount, and there are better bodies, but no other NEX body is as good. The A6000 would be better, but it would still be limited by the 55-210.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2014, 4:57 PM   #14

the problem is that you need a long lens, but long lenses tend to be slow lenses. a little wider aperture would be nice, but the few longer zooms that are out there with a faster aperture tend to be very heavy and very expensive.

perhaps finding a noise removal program that works well and works for you might be an option as far as noise goes?
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2014, 5:56 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcake View Post
the problem is that you need a long lens, but long lenses tend to be slow lenses. a little wider aperture would be nice, but the few longer zooms that are out there with a faster aperture tend to be very heavy and very expensive.

perhaps finding a noise removal program that works well and works for you might be an option as far as noise goes?
Thanks for the thoughts.

Yes, noise removal software would be helpful. My processing skills are very basic at this point, unfortunately. I am using Aperture and very well may switch to Lightroom. Until I am comfortable with whichever program I use I probably won't go to any external plug in noise reduction just yet.

Aside from composition, I'm not sure I understand why the longer lens would be helpful (faster Aperture I get). Will the focus be better if I can get more pixels on the subject?
Old Apr 10, 2014, 6:04 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Let me clarify that.

The 55-210 is the best native E-Mount lens for what you want to do, and the NEX-6 is the best NEX body for what you want to do. There are better lenses, but none of them are made for the E-Mount, and there are better bodies, but no other NEX body is as good. The A6000 would be better, but it would still be limited by the 55-210.
Okay, fair enough. So let's just assume for the sake of argument that my current E-mount system is out of the picture (I can keep it or sell it) and I have $2K to start and to spend on a system from scratch. I am looking to do some action shots like I mentioned, but will primarily use the camera for family events, travel, street shots, landscape and just generally for learning more about photography (which will include probably taking some workshops and getting involved with a camera club).

Any recommendations? Would you suggest two cameras -- one for travel and another for the other things?
Old Apr 11, 2014, 6:37 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler6 View Post
Okay, fair enough. So let's just assume for the sake of argument that my current E-mount system is out of the picture (I can keep it or sell it) and I have $2K to start and to spend on a system from scratch. I am looking to do some action shots like I mentioned, but will primarily use the camera for family events, travel, street shots, landscape and just generally for learning more about photography (which will include probably taking some workshops and getting involved with a camera club).

Any recommendations? Would you suggest two cameras -- one for travel and another for the other things?
My focus is on dSLRs. There may be a combination of two P&S cameras that could do what you want, possibly even just one, but I'm not aware of them.

The first thing I do is match lenses to the requirements. To keep within your budget of $2K, I'd look at the Sigma New 17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM (~$499) and the Tamron SP AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC USD (~$349 after $100 mail-in rebate). They're both very good lenses, and are available for whatever APS-C dSLR body you choose. Together, they come to ~$850, leaving ~$1,150 for the camera body and accessories (memory cards, spare battery, flash if you want one, etc.) There are some nice cameras in that price range.

Since those are both third party lenses, they're available for any dSLR body. In general, Sony's sensors perform better than Canon's, so I'd go with a Nikon, Pentax or Sony body, all of which use Sony image sensors. Nikon dSLRs have the best selection of OEM and third party lenses and accessories, with Sony a distant second and Pentax bringing up the rear. In that price range are the 24MP Nikon D5200 & D5300, the Sony A65 & A77, and the 16MP Pentax K-50 and K5 II. Of these, the real star is the Sony A77 with its 24MP sensor, 19 point AF, and for a limited time, a battery pack/vertical grip, all for $798. That leaves ~$350 for accessories!

The reason for this low price is that Sony is rumored to be announcing the A77's replacement shortly. The A77 cost ~$1,400 when it was first introduced, and the price stayed above $1,000 for most of its product life. It's replacement will almost certainly be in that price range (if not higher), so the A77 with the vertical grip is a real bargain right now.

Last edited by TCav; Apr 11, 2014 at 8:38 AM. Reason: sp
Old Apr 12, 2014, 12:45 PM   #18

Thanks for the recommendations. The Sony sounds like a very good deal.

I take it you are not in agreement with those that are predicting the demise of the A-mount One of my concerns about Sony is that while they seem to continually create new and interesting technology (which I applaud) their approach and plan, such as it is, seems rather unpredictable. This is one of my big concerns about E-mount APS-C. I think the NEX 6 is an extremely capable camera, and I might even be able to work around the action shots issue to the extent that I do them. But I'm not sure where Sony's lens lineup is headed and I don't want to be forced into buying either manual adapted lenses or expensive and heavier full frame lenses to use on my APS-C body as I grow.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 2:58 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler6 View Post
I take it you are not in agreement with those that are predicting the demise of the A-mount ...
In the past two years, Sony has introduced the following A-Mount lenses:
Rumors of the demise of the A-Mount have been greatly exaggerated.