Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 6, 2014, 4:56 PM   #1

Default Canon or something else? good price?

yes, another post by someone looking to upgrade from a compact camera to a dslr at the entry level.

The compact I have is a Canon SX280HS, so thought Id consider a T3i because I want to be able to use different lenses and get back in to taking pictures instead of using the auto everything mode. I was then shown an SL1 and T5i at a Camera store and was told the T3i was older technology.

Is a touch screen just a gadget/gimmick or a good idea?

I thought the size of the SL1 felt a little small (like the grip area was a little short) when I hold it with my right hand, I liked the feel of the T5i better. When I realized the T5i has a touch screen. I was trying to get an entry level price, and I know there is a lot to consider depending on what I want to shoot. I saw a mail order price for a T5i with the 18-55 AND the 75-300mm with a case for $848 is this a good price ?

I also looked up the weight of the camera and the SL1 says its .90 lbs and the T5i is 1.2 lbs (body only from what I can tell). would that impact your decision due to heaviness to carry the T5i around?

Would their be another brand youd throw in the mix? I know Id probably like to buy other accessories down the road, a flash unit, other lenses, so would want the add ons to be good yet economical.
rKcrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 6, 2014, 7:14 PM   #2

I think the question you need to ask is a touch screen useful to YOU..? Is a few extra grams of weight significant for YOU..?
I guess if you're using live view and like moving AF points with your finger it could prove useful (especially for movies)... though seeing as you asked... no- a touch screen is of little significance to me- though I would advocate a tilting/swivel/adjustable LCD- as these can prove very useful indeed for shooting at low angles,or over walls,heads,crowds etc... and again,especially useful for movie work...

The T3i might be an "older" model, though still a good entry level model.
However,if you plan to shoot moving subjects, the improved AF system of the T5i and faster frame rate might prove useful...

Another camera to look at would be the Nikon D5200/5300...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2014, 7:52 PM   #3

my son got a T2i because he isn't interested in a touch screen. me, i use a touch screen - it's not just a gimmick. i particularly like a flippable touch screen.

btw, i thought the SL1 was uncomfortable when i held it in several stores, but when i rented one, it was fine in real-life usage.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2014, 8:21 PM   #4

What do you want to shoot?

Ergonomics and usability are certainly important, but my preference is to pick a system that has lenses that are good and within your budget for what I want to shoot, and then select a body you like that can use them.

You're talking about Canon dSLRs, and your objection to how the SL1 feels compared to the T5i, so the T5i would be the obvious choice. But if Nikon has better, cheaper lenses for what you want to shoot, the T5i won't help you.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2014, 10:24 PM   #5

Choosing a DSLR system is a lot like getting married: it takes time to become comfortable with it, and it can be expensive to switch later on.

Take your time and think about your needs and wants before you say "I do."
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2014, 10:56 PM   #6

VTphotog and Tcav... both your responses made me laugh from the truth in them.

At this time, what I think I want to shoot are hummingbirds and other birds in my backyard; its hard to know where my real interest lies until I get back out with a camera, (what I do know is I dont need to shoot sports and I dont want to feel responsible for wedding pictures).... I think some macro shots of roses/flowers is probably another interest.

The question that was asked about the lens is what I'm curious about too, when you go to the camera shop most want to help you purchase a camera, not explain what lens you'll need later on and which has the best value... I don't plan on making a living, just want a hobby I can enjoy and be proud of the photographs I take.

I am trying to make an informed decision before I say I do (LOL, that still cracks me up)

I think some of the not knowing what to get is really not knowing what I am going to enjoy photographing; and then not knowing what lenses to get, means it's difficult to know what brand to go with as a hobbyist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
What do you want to shoot?

Ergonomics and usability are certainly important, but my preference is to pick a system that has lenses that are good and within your budget for what I want to shoot, and then select a body you like that can use them.

You're talking about Canon dSLRs, and your objection to how the SL1 feels compared to the T5i, so the T5i would be the obvious choice. But if Nikon has better, cheaper lenses for what you want to shoot, the T5i won't help you.

Last edited by rKcrafter; Apr 6, 2014 at 11:58 PM.
rKcrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2014, 2:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rKcrafter View Post
At this time, what I think I want to shoot are hummingbirds and other birds in my backyard ...
A typical birding lens is a 70-300. Canon and Nikon both have lenses in that zoom range that cost roughly the same. Of the two, the Canon is slightly better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rKcrafter View Post
I think some macro shots of roses/flowers is probably another interest.
Unless you're talking about crocuses, you probably don't need a 1:1 Macro lens, but it wouldn't hurt. Both Canon and Nikon have some very nice macro lenses, but nobody makes a bad one. Many people are quite happy with third party macro lenses, and for good reason. You may be happy with one as well, and third party lens manufacturers make lenses for both Canon and Nikon, so your choice there's won't affect your choice of system.

So considering your lens requirements, I think a Canon would be your best choice.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2014, 3:25 AM   #8

Hi from the t2i /550d onwards there have been some goodies added like swivel screen and touch screen, it remains the same camera sensor. looking at you want to shoot then i would look at a kit 18-55 lens and if it birds then for me use the money and get a 100-400L, best upgrade for me was getting an L lens i still use my T2i/550d.
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote