Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 20, 2014, 2:49 AM   #1

Default Help needed -- Please help me pick from these shortlisted candidates !

Hiya all !

I am in a fix right now and so would really appreciate any help in this regard .

I am upgrading from my old Canon SX200IS . A really good and a capable camera .
Has manual controls, a worthy zoom and macro features and good enough pic quality .

Now i would want something that has all these properties but is better than the Canon in every respect.

So i shortlisted these options ---
>Sony DSC HX400V
>Panasonic DMC FZ200
>Fujifilm HS50EXR

Please tell what would be the best one out of these ?
Esp considering the pic quality ( the best sensor )
and zoom performance ( lens and Image Stabilization )
and one that can give a better shallow field of depth ( the aperture performance ).

I am all ears .

So please if you have any other and better alternatives, do tell !

Thanks
royal_lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 20, 2014, 9:32 AM   #2

FZ200.F2.8 constant from wide to tele,bright all the way.Zoom range modest compared to peers but top class performance overall.
Consider Panasonic FZ 70 if you want 20-1200mm coverage.Accessories like tele extender,close-up,polarizer etc. available,best ratings in reviews....etc.etc.
wanaclick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2014, 10:27 AM   #3

The Panasonic and Fujifilm models both have filter threads so you could use a circular polarizer and Variable ND filter. With these two filters you could cut or enhance reflections, get bluer skies, and get the silky water movement of waterfalls and rivers. You might check out DxOMark for sensor ratings.
rainrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2014, 11:36 AM   #4

The Canon SX50hs has the best sensor (in my opinion) and the best IQ (all else being equal...).
The FZ200 is possibly No2 in the IQ stakes- and shoots/focuses quickly and the f/2.8 lens is invaluable in less than ideal light...
Regarding "depth of field"- up to 600mm,the Panny has to have it for obvious reasons- but the larger zooms of the other models offer some scope for manipulating DOF somewhat...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2014, 12:36 PM   #5

the panasonic FZ200 would be my choice. the canon SX50 may have better processing, but the sensors are fairly similar. the panasonic's constant f/2.8 lens can be very useful, not only shooting in low light but even just less than optimal light, and also when shooting zoomed out, which on other cameras can mean shooting at a narrower aperture.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2014, 1:52 PM   #6

Thanks guys for your valuable comments

As per the comments , Every model has one or the other strong points !!

At first i was really confused b/w the SX50HS and HS50EXR and FZ200 .
But when i encountered with the Sony DSC HX400V, my selection biased towards it, esp bcoz it is a newer model !

Has all the features i am looking for and some more too, like the faster processor and NFC, GPS, WiFi !
The extras not exactly a deal breaker but nonetheless worth a consider esp how everything nowadays is inter connected via WiFi and other means and so they might prove useful.
But the one thing that interests me most is that its a newer model !

Now, if you can please guide that is it advisable to go for any of the older Canon or Panny or Nikon models
or
the newer Sony ?

I would love to get the Panny FZ200 but the older date of its release makes me reluctant .
Is it fine to go for it ( or the older Canon or Nikon ) ?

On the same note, any idea when the newer and upgraded models of SX50HS or the FZ200 will be released ??
If its soon enough, then might be i can wait a lil ( but cant wait long, coz i sold off my Canon Powershot SX200IS ) .....
royal_lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2014, 10:35 AM   #7

Default Fz200

I recently bought the FZ200 and I'm very pleased with it, it doesn't show is age
There are also many tutorial videos on Youtube about the FZ200.
Rudi

Last edited by rudimaes; Apr 22, 2014 at 10:59 AM.
rudimaes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2014, 3:40 PM   #8

many one-generation-old cameras have up to date features. the FZ200 is still a standout, and there's no promise the replacement will be better - i've seen cameras that were replaced by newer versions i didn't care for as much as the cameras they replaced.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2014, 4:01 PM   #9

Agreed pcake... many so-called "upgrades" are anything but... just mere numbers/tech' on the box..!
The FZ200's a fine "all round" camera- and that'll never change...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote