Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 13, 2014, 9:34 PM   #1

Default What camera should I buy for my photography business?

I am an amateur photographer, but ready to take the next step. I have previously owned a Canon Rebel XTi, followed by a Nikon D3000, but I couldn't stand it, so I had to go back to Canon. I then purchased a Canon Rebel XSi.

I prefer Canon and am currently weighing my options with a budget of about $700 right now.

I am looking at the Canon 40D, a 50mm F1.8 (or 1.4 depending if I can find a good deal) and one other lens. That I am undecided on. I do primarily portrait photography, but also enjoy still life, street photography and landscapes.

[IMG]http://***********************/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/11/36/smile.gif[/IMG]
TinaisTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 14, 2014, 7:52 AM   #2

You say you want to start a photography business. Can you be more specific? Are you planning on just selling prints of your stills/street/landscape? Or are you planning on shooting portraits for pay? Both?
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2014, 8:04 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaisTina View Post
...am currently weighing my options with a budget of about $700 right now.

I am looking at the Canon 40D, a 50mm F1.8 (or 1.4 depending if I can find a good deal) and one other lens. That I am undecided on. I do primarily portrait photography, but also enjoy still life, street photography and landscapes.[IMG]http://***********************/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/11/36/smile.gif[/IMG]
I would hope that your budget will expand as you delve into areas of photography beyond portraiture.

Buying a used dSLR is a gamble. There's no way to know how much use and abuse the camera has been exposed to, and dSLRs have more mechanical parts that are subject to failure with continued use. I suggest you shop at locations that have a generous return policy. Adorama, B&H and KEH have 14 day return policies for used equipment. You might also get a good deal on a refurbished dSLR.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2014, 11:02 AM   #4

i would buy a new camera even if it was entry level. used cameras can die at any time, and then you've wasted $700, while new cameras have a manufacturer warranty and you can even get a square trade on them for several years. also older sensors tend to be noisier - my old 30D was good for its time, but now entry level mirrorless cameras can surpass its pics when it comes to noise and size.

as far as what $700 can buy, you could get an SL1 with the kit lens (the STM kit lens is a bit sharper than the older kit lens) and the 50mm 1.8, an SL1 body only with the 40mm and 50mm 1.8. the SL1 is smaller, but it's not that small, and the newer sensor delivers good results - i rented one, and was pleased. you could also get the T3i with kit lens and either the 40mm or the 50mm 1.8.

if you plan to compete with other portrait businesses, $700 may not cut it unless you have non-demanding customers. the lenses you can afford are pretty good, but won't deliver the smooth, creamy backgrounds that i see in professional portraits.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2014, 11:13 AM   #5

Always wonder why people call trying to go pro the next step in photography.

Going pro means you are about to spend 80% or more of your available time managing everything that goes into the business side of things.
And very little of your time actually making any images.

At least it does if you plan to make a living at it, and use PPA (USA) PPoC (Canada) definition of what is required to be eligible to join them.

If your desire is to be a pro that is great!
It is even better if you manage to survive in the cut-throat world pro photography has become!

End of mini-rant

I am a Canon shooter and would for now recommend looking at the offerings from Sony.
Canons focusing systems have not been that accurate in many of their non high end bodies.
If you do select Canon as your brand of choice, I would go with a body that offers live-view so you can verify and correct focus when needed.

700$us would net you a Sony nex 7 mirror-less or a77 24mp bodies.
http://stores.ebay.com/henrys-com/So...=p4634.c0.m322
(Henry's is a large Canadian retailer, their return and warranty policies are pretty good)

Quote:
I am an amateur photographer, but ready to take the next step. [IMG]http://***********************/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/11/36/smile.gif[/IMG]

Last edited by PeterP; May 14, 2014 at 11:23 AM.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2014, 12:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
.......Adorama, B&H and KEH have 14 day return policies for used equipment....
The Adorama returns period for online purchases is actually 30 days, not 14. Also, any item rated D, E+, E or E- comes with a 6-month warranty; units rated V or G come with a 90-day warranty

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

HelenOster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2014, 1:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenOster View Post
Quote:
.......Adorama, B&H and KEH have 14 day return policies for used equipment.
The Adorama returns period for online purchases is actually 30 days, not 14.
From Adorama.com: Also ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenOster View Post
Also, any item rated D, E+, E or E- comes with a 6-month warranty; units rated V or G come with a 90-day warranty
From Adorama.com: It's nice that you do, but your website doesn't reflect those policies.
Old May 15, 2014, 4:33 PM   #8

Quote:
From Adorama.com: Also ...
From Adorama.com: It's nice that you do, but your website doesn't reflect those policies.
The website is incorrect - it is 14 days for in-store purchases of used items. Used units ordered online have the same returns period as new items - 30 days.

I have asked for the error to be corrected.

The warranty information on the website is also incorrect; as of October 16 2012, warranty periods were extended for higher end units. Again, I need to get this error corrected.

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

HelenOster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2014, 7:11 PM   #9

Thanks very much. I look forward to seeing the corrections.
Old May 16, 2014, 6:50 PM   #10

Quote:
I am an amateur photographer, but ready to take the next step. I have previously owned a Canon Rebel XTi, followed by a Nikon D3000, but I couldn't stand it, so I had to go back to Canon. I then purchased a Canon Rebel XSi.

I prefer Canon and am currently weighing my options with a budget of about $700 right now.

I am looking at the Canon 40D, a 50mm F1.8 (or 1.4 depending if I can find a good deal) and one other lens. That I am undecided on. I do primarily portrait photography, but also enjoy still life, street photography and landscapes. [IMG]http://***********************/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/11/36/smile.gif[/IMG]
Tina - if you're still with us after the off-topic notes above ...

May I suggest -
Before you spend lots of money on new equipment, how about you get a dozen or so of your best photos printed to 8" x 12", mount them nicely and see if you can sell them at your local weekend markets

If people like your style of photography, then you'll make some sales and you can start thinking about your future
If you don't sell them, then you'll have some great memories to hang on your lounge room wall

However - good cameras and lenses & computer software for professional level activities will set you back from $5000 to $20000 depending upon a number of factors. You need to be aware of this long before you start

Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote