Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 17, 2014, 10:49 AM   #1

Default Camera Suggestions

Hello all

I'm new here and I am looking for some advice. I am a fire investigator and need to take pictures to document the fire scene. Obviously the pictures I take are not in ideal conditions. They are mostly inside with low light and black backgrounds. As of right now I have narrowed it down to two choices, Canon T5I and the Nikon d5200. Other than having an external flash, does anyone have any comments or suggestions?

Which camera would be better for me to purchase? I'm looking to spend under $1,000.00

I would also like to use the camera on a personal level using for my sons sporting events which are ice hockey and baseball.

Any and all comments are welcome and I thank you all in advance.
RB1528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 17, 2014, 11:53 AM   #2

You could also look at the Sony A6000, it has the same size sensor as the Nikon 5200 wich is little larger dan the one on de Canon T5I.
The A6000 is very fast, takes good low light pictures and has a 11 fps burstmode.
Rudi
rudimaes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2014, 8:34 PM   #3

I'd go with the Nikon. The D5200 has a stop less image noise and two stops greater dynamic range than the T5i.

Instead of an external flash, or perhaps to supplement it, I think you should get a ring light. It will give you better illumination for close-up work, and it will make composing in dim light easier. Also, instead of the kit 18-55 lens, I suggest you consider the Sigma 17-70/2.8-4.0 lens. It has a longer zoom range, and a greater magnification ratio.

Hockey and Baseball are very different shooting environments. Hockey is indoors in dim light, while Baseball is outdoors in daylight and on a much bigger field of play. For Baseball, you should go for a 70-300 at least, while for Hockey, you don't need something as long but you do need a larger aperture in order to keep the shutter speeds fast. Something like a 70-200/2.8 would be a good choice. Either of those lenses will set you back at least $600, so they aren't within your budget.

As for the Sony A6000 that rudimaes mentioned, it's a fine camera, but it doesn't have a very good selection of lenses, and nothing that would be appropriate for either Hockey or Baseball.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2014, 1:46 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
I

As for the Sony A6000 that rudimaes mentioned, it's a fine camera, but it doesn't have a very good selection of lenses, and nothing that would be appropriate for either Hockey or Baseball.
Of course Nikon and Canon have a long history of DSLR cameras, so they
have hundreds of lenses to choose from. I had the Nikon D5100 and it is an excellent DSLR.

But for the Sony A6000 there's the "SONY NEX 18-200MM TYPE II" lens.
(= 27-300mm 35mm eq.) Tamron has an 18-200mm and a 70-300mm
for Sony mirrorless cameras.
The A6000 is smaller and lighter than a DSLR.

It all depends on what you like and each makes his own choice.
And to everyone who buys a new camera,whatever type it is, I wish them many hours of pleasure at taking pictures with it.
Rudi

Last edited by rudimaes; May 18, 2014 at 2:18 AM.
Old May 18, 2014, 7:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudimaes View Post
Tamron has an 18-200mm...
True, but it still won't have the reach, on an APS-C body, that RB1528 would need for Baseball, and it doesn't have the large aperture RB1528 would need for Hockey.

Quote:
... and a 70-300mm for Sony mirrorless cameras.
The Tamron 70-300 is available for Sony's A-Mount, not their E-Mount (mirrorless cameras), though it could be adapted to fit an A6000.

Quote:
The A6000 is smaller and lighter than a DSLR.
True, though the difference is slight, and it quickly disappears when you rely on adapters to mount lenses like the Tamron 70-300 to it.
Old May 19, 2014, 2:16 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post

The Tamron 70-300 is available for Sony's A-Mount, not their E-Mount (mirrorless cameras), though it could be adapted to fit an A6000.

Your right about the 70-300, it's only the Tamron 18-200mm for the E-mount.
I only mentioned the A6000 as an extra choice.

The Nikon D5200 would of course be a good choice. I owned the D5100, and this is a very good DSLR, so the D5200 should be in the same league.
Rudi
Old May 20, 2014, 2:17 PM   #7

I was about to buy d5200, Tcav knows, he suggested many lenses, and combinations(thanx for that)!
Anyway, I gave up the camera for now...I tried it in local store...one thing was disapointing for me...viewfinder! It's so small...comparing to d7000 or d7100 it's huge difference...and the whole camera is somehow small for me...maybe cause I have a big hands! So, I'm saving for d7100, hope to get it in 4-5 months.
I think it's important to actually see the camera, try it in your hands, see the menu, lcd....it's crucial when you buying new one!
Duff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2014, 6:22 PM   #8

G'day Duff

While your post & this reply is away from the OP - it does bring into focus [ !! ] the world of ergonomics ... the camera must fit your hand & eye. It is something that too many shops and forum 'experts' fail to recognise in too many cases

I have said for years that buying a camera is like buying a pair of shoes ... you must try them on and see how they fit you - it's no good just hoping they'll be good enough

Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2014, 7:46 PM   #9

Wearing a pair of shoes that don't fit can result in multiple other problems.

Buying a camera that you're not accustomed to is, to a certain extent, to be expected, especially if you've never handled a dSLR before.

My first priority is image quality, which is the consequence of the lens(es) and the image sensor, both of which can be judged and compared against the competition via on-line sources.

I suggest that people narrow their choices based on image quality and affordability, and if they still have more than one to choose from, they should take into account features and ergonomics.

Judging the feel of a dSLR with its plethora of buttons, knobs and switches, when all you've ever used is a P&S with an on/off switch and a shutter button, is a little bit absurd.
Old May 20, 2014, 9:31 PM   #10

Thank you all for the replies and suggestions, all will be given strong consideration. I do plan on going to the camera shop and spending some time playing and holding the cameras to feel which feels comfortable to me.

Thanks again for all the help.
RB1528 is offline   Reply With Quote