Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 18, 2014, 7:36 AM   #1

Default Thinking about downgrading from my 60D...advice??

I really enjoyed having my 60D while the wife and I were in Alaska a couple years ago. We captured some really great shots. Nowadays, I dread the thought of lugging it around. I have both the Tamron 18-270 and the nifty fifty. The wife doesn't want to sacrifice IQ with the new camera. I want something more compact so I actually take the camera more places and use it. Also, a buddy and I are going on an elk hunt next Sept. in Colorado and I would like something to carry along with me there. Granted, I could probably get away with a P&S in CO but I think I'd want something with a little more options.

I find myself mainly taking pics of my daughter, landscapes, & wildlife.

Should I stick with an interchangeable lens cam or get something like a superzoom? Recommendations?
Finch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 18, 2014, 3:43 PM   #2

Some of the mirrorless cameras might be able to help you lose some size and weight, without compromising image quality too much. Whatever you get, make sure it has lenses available for what you want to shoot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2014, 4:12 PM   #3

how compact are you talking about? you can use the lenses you use on your 60D on the canon SL1, which isn't the size of a pocketable point and shoot, but it's a lot smaller and lighter than the 60D. i have wrist issues but i can still use the SL1.

superzooms can be much ligher and easier to handle, and i particularly enjoyed my FZ150 when i had it, and its follower the FZ200 has a constant f/2.8 lens.

if you go into mirrorless, the options are many. the panasonic G6 is one i'm considering, as it has a significantly larger sensor than most digicams (it's a micro four thirds camera) and is light with a nice feature set. some consider it plasticy, but that's what makes it so wonderfully light for its size. the micro four thirds system has lots of lighter lenses, including some very light zooms and high quality primes, and many good cameras to consider.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2014, 8:41 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies.

I guess I'm leaning towards another superzoom. I have a Lumix FZ35 and I like it's size. Just did a quick search on the FZ200 and I'm liking what I see. It seems like the FZ100 has got it going on. What benefits would a DSLR have over the FZ200? I saw some amazing shots with the Panasonic.
Old May 18, 2014, 8:58 PM   #5

I forgot to ask something. Is the FZ200 the latest superzoom Pana has produced? I looked at their website but couldn't really tell.
Old May 18, 2014, 9:10 PM   #6

yes, the FZ200 is the new one. the benefit is that you have f/2.8 over the entire zoom range - in less than perfect light, that's a huge advantage. some people still prefer the FZ150, and i very much regretted selling mine - the only thing i didn't love about it was for fast action the EVF couldn't always keep up, but in a wide variety of circumstances including moving animals and people, and blowing leaves, etc, it did fine. otherwise both are very capable cameras, and the 24x zoom rocks!

Last edited by pcake; May 18, 2014 at 9:15 PM.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2014, 9:18 PM   #7

I do like the fact of having f/2.8 over the entire zoom - never heard of that until today. The wife is still a little disappointed that I want to sell the 60D. I've taken some great images with it but we never print any of them. Well, maybe some 4x6's and like I said before, I get tired to lugging it around. I feel having a smaller camera (no extra lenses to haul either) would keep a camera in my hands more than if I were to continue to use the 60D. Is it crazy to have a camera such as the 60D and not print any of the images?
Old May 19, 2014, 12:53 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finch View Post
What benefits would a DSLR have over the FZ200? I saw some amazing shots with the Panasonic.
The FZ200 is an excellent compact bridge camera, I own one and I'm very pleased with it.
The advantage of a DSLR is that they have a bigger sensor, so the low light pictures are better (less noise)
Rudi
rudimaes is offline   Reply With Quote