Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 29, 2014, 9:30 AM   #1

Default New Bridge Camera Decision

I'm trying to decide on a new long zoom point and shoot camera to replace a 12x Panasonic FZ5. The main reason is the desire for longer zoom for wildlife (birds). After many hours of research and reading, I've ruled out the Nikon P600 (no external flash) and Panny FZ70 (fixed LCD), leaving the 24x FX200 and the 50x Canon SX50. My main objection to the Canon is that 67mm filter adapter that looks like it doesn't belong on that camera.

I really wanted the Panasonic to win this battle. We like the FZ5 and Panasonic quality in general. But to get to even 40x zoom requires a teleconverter and even at used and best reputable pricing, the FZ200 will cost $150 more than the Canon and still provide less zoom. So, unless I'm missing something, it's the Canon with a third party 58mm filter adapter and lens hood.

Is there anything I'm not considering when it comes to these two cameras and their capabilities for outdoor wildlife and indoor family gatherings?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Ray
RaymondW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 29, 2014, 3:30 PM   #2

Just for information's sake, Tiger Direct has the Fuji X-S1 on sale today for $300.
Unfortunately, I already have one.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 4:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondW View Post
I'm trying to decide on a new long zoom point and shoot camera to replace a 12x Panasonic FZ5. The main reason is the desire for longer zoom for wildlife (birds). After many hours of research and reading, I've ruled out the Nikon P600 (no external flash) and Panny FZ70 (fixed LCD), leaving the 24x FX200 and the 50x Canon SX50. My main objection to the Canon is that 67mm filter adapter that looks like it doesn't belong on that camera.

I really wanted the Panasonic to win this battle. We like the FZ5 and Panasonic quality in general. But to get to even 40x zoom requires a teleconverter and even at used and best reputable pricing, the FZ200 will cost $150 more than the Canon and still provide less zoom. So, unless I'm missing something, it's the Canon with a third party 58mm filter adapter and lens hood.

Is there anything I'm not considering when it comes to these two cameras and their capabilities for outdoor wildlife and indoor family gatherings?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Ray

You may want to consider the Fujifilm HS-50EXR. I've posted several images from this camera in these forums.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 4:44 PM   #4

G'day Raymond

There are a number of imponderables here - may I 'confuse' you a bit more ...

The best thing about the FZ series of cameras is the lens - and the FZ200 lens at a constant aperture mode is worth gold to the 'right' photographer

Other variable aperture zoom lenses soon drop down a stop or two or three as they zoom out ... meaning shutter speeds drop &/or iso-speeds go up and all-in-all the image suffers. Not so with the FZ200

We are a houseful of panny users - with the odd Fuji thrown in - and for us, the answer to your Q is a no-brainer ... and it's not the Canon !!

I also have a Fuji X-s1 - and while it's a fabulous general-purpose camera its focussing abilities are abysmal. I hope it's an individual-camera thing - but I am almost completely unable to photograph any moving object ... it fails to focus every time regardless of which focus mode the camera is set to

Hope the above helps you in some way
Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2014, 12:40 AM   #5

The best Panasonic bridge is the FZ200(I'm very pleased with it), but if you want more zoom the FZ70 could suffice.
Rudi
rudimaes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2014, 8:40 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie_Traveller View Post

I also have a Fuji X-s1 - and while it's a fabulous general-purpose camera its focussing abilities are abysmal. I hope it's an individual-camera thing - but I am almost completely unable to photograph any moving object ... it fails to focus every time regardless of which focus mode the camera is set to

l
You need to take the HS50EXR for a spin, Phil. You won't find that problem with the HS50EXR. And, a fully-articulated LCD, not to mention more other MAJOR improvements than you can shake a stick at.
My Gallery

--
Old May 30, 2014, 5:34 PM   #7

Another curved ball coming.....

In my humble opinion,if it was just for birding (at range) I'd probably go with the Canon.
That BIG range is invaluable- and whilst the FZ200 might grab more light,heavy cropping to try and win back some zoom would negate the benefit- and adding a converter would also drop the light a tad- not to mention the extra cost and unwieldly if you want a quick wide angle shot..!
I also think the Canon STILL has the best sensor of all the bridge bunch (irrespective of resolution)- and increasing the iso has less of a negative IQ impact than some.

The HS50 is also worth looking into (fast AF and long zoom).... and as much as I think the FZ200 is the best bridge of all- for birding only, 600mm doesn't cut it... unless you're pretty close, shooting birds in your garden- or Ostriches from a distance...!!
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2014, 3:50 PM   #8

A question for those who know: Does the newer sensor in the HS50 compensate in terms of image quality for its smaller size compared with the older (what - three years older?) but larger sensor in the X-S1? Maybe it's the wrong question because if you can't accurately focus on anything moving then maybe sensor size doesn't matter. But I'd still like to know.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2014, 4:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biro View Post
A question for those who know: Does the newer sensor in the HS50 compensate in terms of image quality for its smaller size compared with the older (what - three years older?) but larger sensor in the X-S1? Maybe it's the wrong question because if you can't accurately focus on anything moving then maybe sensor size doesn't matter. But I'd still like to know.
I can't speak for the X-S1. BUT, I *can* speak comparatively about the HS-10, HS-20, HS-25, and the HS-50 because I've had ALL of these and the HS-50 is quantum leaps ahead of all of them. Phil (OzzieTraveler) complains mightily of the "abysmally-slow focus speed" of the X-S1. I can only tell you to try the HS-50 and see the difference for yourself. Here are a couple of sample shots I got today. See what you think. I had a CPL on from a few days ago and forgot to take it off! DOH! Still, I think they're quite useable.

My Gallery

--
Old May 31, 2014, 5:08 PM   #10

I owned the X-S1 some time ago- and the one thing that disappointed me was the lack of fine detail in it's images- with my FZ-150 completely outdoing it...!
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote