Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 5, 2014, 5:07 PM   #1

Default Nikon D5300 x Canon T5i - please help!

Hello good friends of this forum!!

Many years ago, when this forum used to be black, I found great help from many frieldly folks here that helped me step up from my old trusty Canon A70 to a brand new release (at the time) Canon 5iS!!

The Canon 5 iS turned out to be a very bad choice, considering what I wanted from it, but since I paid high money (for me! I dont live in US), i stick with it for the last few years.

To make things clear, what i hated about the 5iS: SOFTNESS.

Compared to the cheaper A70, there was a lot less detail in the images when zooming it. I had more megapixels, more zoom capability, but the images where washed out, lacking detail and with tons of softness.

I posted countless threads here in this very forum at the time, and the folks here helped me make my photos a little better by tweaking the confs, , but they pointed to the fact that it was a camera built in carachteristics.

Now, I really would appreciate if you folks could help me decide between two cameras:

Nikon D5300 x Canon T5i

Please, restrict your comments to these two models.

This will be my fisrt DSLR camera, and I want to go DSLR because I want a VERY GOOD image quality, some very sharp details, with ZERO softness and blurring, and etc.

My usage of this camera will be very limited. No artistic or scenery photos. Family situations only, 85% indoor and 15% outdoor, mostly nightly.

The MOST important thing for me of all the possible things to be considered is: IMAGE QUALITY. I NEED a sharp, detailed image. No softness, blurriness, washed out colors or anything like that. ANd I want to achieve that with the least ammount of tweaking! I dont want to change anything, just full auto.

The second most important thing to me would be MOVIE mode, I need to record with a very good SOUND quality (thats the only thing i like in the 5iS - stereo recording). I need to record my son playing drums, so its really mandatory the best quality of image and sound while video shooting.

The third most important thing is SPEED OF SHOOTING with flash! I dont want anymore to keep family in front of me waiting like 10 seconds for the flash to get ready to shoot!! Thats just HORRIBLE and the 5iS does that ALL the time!

All the rest, like body, controls, menu, viewfinder, touchscreen, etc, is really not important to me. Really!!

So, considerind those two first aspects, and the usage I mentioned, could you folks please tell me which one would make me happier?

D5300 or T5i.

Right now, Im more inclined towards the D5300.

And PLEASE, dont waste your time and mine trying to convince me to stay with a point and shoot, or to try other models.

Just a simple straight answer: Canon T5i or Nikon D5300, and why.

THANKS!!!!
mabhz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 5, 2014, 7:01 PM   #2

The Nikon D5300 has lower image noise, greater dynamic range, and higher resolution. It has a built-in stereo microphone, external stereo microphone jack, and adjustable microphone sensitivity.

The kit 18-55 lens isn't bad for general purpose or informal event photography, but you might consider the Nikon 16-85 for greater zoom range and better optical performance. The Sigma 17-70 is also a good choice.

For good recycle time, you should get an external flash, something that probably wasn't available for your Canon PowerShot S5 is.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2014, 6:53 AM   #3

Thank you VERY much for your considerations!

If there is any Nikon model one step up higher than the D5300, but with a little price increase, I am also interested in hearing about that recommendation, please.

Maybe theres a significant increase in image quality with a little price difference.

But thanks again!!
Old Jun 6, 2014, 1:14 PM   #4

You could possibly step up to the Nikon D7100, but I don't think you'd gain in image quality at all...
If image quality is your outright one and only requirement,I'd purchase the D5300 body only and avoid the usual supplied kit lens- which is "ok" but certainly not worthy of the image quality the D5300 is capable of producing.
TCav's lens suggestions are good options...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2014, 1:20 PM   #5

Thank you VERY much for your comment, Simon!!

Im not sure I can purchase the body alone here in my country and my city at a reasonable price.

But in case I do, could you folks please recommend some good additional lenses - but please, focus more on "easily found" ones, like Nikon made or any famous brand. I might be able to find ANY lenses here in Brasil, but at very very high cost and in different cities, which will make my purchase less likely.

The Nikon 16-85 souded like a good idea to me, but I also would like a very good zoom one, something to at least replace the 16x zoom capability of the Canon 5Is.

I know its a diffiicult comparation, but, how many mm should I look for in order to achieve the 16x or 18x magnification of my old Canon??

THANKS!!!
Old Jun 6, 2014, 4:12 PM   #6

The D5300 is a fine camera that should suit you well. The more expensive Nikon models don't improve on image quality or include any features it seems you'd be interested in. If you've got money burning a hole in your pocket, spend it on a spare battery, spare memory cards or on a lens or lenses.

The Nikon 16-85 is a fine lens for what you say you want to do, but it isn't cheap. The Sigma 17-70 is a good alternative, with a shorter zoom range but a closer focusing distance and a larger aperture.

The "16X' is a ratio of the longest focal length to the shortest of the lens that's built into the camera. The D5300 is an interchangeable lens camera, so if you want to change the focal length, you can change lenses. The 16-85 is a 5.7X lens (85 / 16 =5.6667.) If you want something longer, you can change it for a 55-200 (4X) or a 70-300 (also a 4X zoom.) If you want a single lens that does everything, there's Nikon's 18-200 (11X) or Tamron's 18-270 (15X) but these jack-of-all-trades-and-master-of-none lenses don't provide very good image quality.

For what you say you want to do, I think you might find the zoom range of the kit 18-55 a little confining and the image quality not to your satisfaction. That's why I recommended the other two. There aren't any others that I'd suggest.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 12:43 AM   #7

TCav, Thank you so very much for all the valuable info..

But I'm a bit confused now about what lenses to purchase, since I need something much lee Powerfull than a 18~55.

I found two packs at Beat Buy, one comes with a 18~140 Nikkor, and the other comes with the original 18~55 plus a 55~200 Nikkor. Both packs have the same price, so I belive the second lenses (55~200) must be cheaper and of worse quality, right?

From what you wrote I understood that the 18~140 is the "jack of all trades", and because of that, the worse option, correct? If that's the truth, I don't understand the similar prices.

Could you please give me a simple explanation about what type of lenses I should go for, like the small Dx RX things I see. How can I avoid buying a crap lenses?

These are the links to the packs I mentioned:

http://m.bestbuy.com/m/e/product/det...d=abcat0401005

http://m.bestbuy.com/m/e/product/det...v=product+view

Thanks!!!
Old Jul 19, 2014, 8:52 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabhz View Post
... How can I avoid buying a crap lenses?
By narrowing your options based on objective test results posted on sites like SLRGear.com and PhotoZone.de.

Unfortunately, neither of them has posted objective test results for the Nikon 18-140, so I won't render an opinion on it.

I'm not a big fan of either of the choices you linked to. I still think that the Nikon 16-85 ($629) or the Sigma 17-70 ($499) would be better choices for you. And if those, plus the D5300 ($747) are beyond your budget, you might consider scaling back on the body instead of the lens. The D5200 ($597) and D3200 ($477) offer similar capabilities at a lower cost.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 9:10 AM   #9

Thank you VERY MUCH again, my friend!

I have a time window problem: my friend who might purchase it and bring it to me is in Miami right now and will stay only a week, so my choices are purchasing online somewhere that will ship a 1 or 2 day delivery at most. I guess my options are narrowed to Amazon.com, right? Maybe, only maybe, I can get him to pick it up at a close best buy, but that not very likely.

Is there any 1500 or 200mm telephoto lens that you would recommend? I need one that would get me something like 10x Zoom on a regular cam.

Is Amazon.com a good source for this kin of stuff?

I'm inclined to get the body alone and the 16~85, which might give me the equivalent of a 5.5x zoom total on a point and shoot, right?

These lenses are sure to give me a better image quality than the usual 18~55 that comes with the cam??

Thanks again for the help!!!

Last edited by mabhz; Jul 19, 2014 at 9:45 AM.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 10:35 AM   #10

Quote:
I have a time window problem: my friend who might purchase it and bring it to me is in Miami right now and will stay only a week, so my choices are purchasing online somewhere that will ship a 1 or 2 day delivery at most. I guess my options are narrowed to Amazon.com, right? Maybe, only maybe, I can get him to pick it up at a close best buy, but that not very likely.
Actually, the links I provided are to Adorama.com who has a variety of shipping options including overnight to your friend's location while in the US.

Quote:
Is there any 1500 or 200mm telephoto lens that you would recommend? I need one that would get me something like 10x Zoom on a regular cam.
The Nikon 55-200 isn't a bad choice. Perhaps you could go with the two lens package from BB, and replace the 18-55 later.

Quote:
Is Amazon.com a good source for this kin of stuff?
Amazon would not be my first choice, but one of the problems with Amazon is that many of their vendors sell gray market cameras, so they wouldn't be covered by the US warranty, but since you'll be taking the camera out of the US, you don't care about that anyway.

Quote:
I'm inclined to get the body alone and the 16~85, which might give me the equivalent of a 5.5x zoom total on a point and shoot, right?
There's no way to correlate the focal length of an interchangeable lens to the "X" zoom of the lens in a P&S with any degree of certainty. This is complicated by the fact that the 16-85 provides a wider angle of view than is typically available in a P&S, so the starting point is off. But, yes, 85 / 16 = 5.3125, so that would be a 5.3X zoom.

Quote:
These lenses are sure to give me a better image quality than the usual 18~55 that comes with the cam??
Yes.