Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 4, 2014, 10:25 AM   #1

Default using a non 52mm lens on a 52mm camera

Hi all,
I'm looking at closeup lenses, and wondering if using a 58 mm (or larger) filter on my 52mm camera (FZ150), via an adapter ring, is noticeably different from using a 52mm filter?
Thanks,
...... john
Shinnen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 4, 2014, 12:26 PM   #2

It should work just fine with an adapter to a larger size. There could be some vignetting due to the adapter, but not likely for focal lengths longer than the shortest (wide angle). You may also have to be more careful about extraneous light.
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2014, 12:43 AM   #3

Doesn't the lens of the FZ retract inside the barrel?
BBbuilder467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2014, 12:20 PM   #4

Hi BB,
Yes, it does. But one can still attach a 52mm filter to it.
..... john
Old Jul 5, 2014, 12:22 PM   #5

Thanks VT,
That gives me a little more flexibility wrt to size.
...... john
Old Jul 5, 2014, 1:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinnen View Post
Hi BB,
Yes, it does. But one can still attach a 52mm filter to it.
..... john
If the lens retracts into the barrel, I'd be concerned that the step-up would cause it to crash when turned off or it cycles.

The conversion lenses are usually mounted to an FZ using the adapter tube. Then you can add anything you want with no problems with weight and the distance is easier to work with. You're always using the close-up lens at or near full zoom anyway.

Why do you want to use a 58mm? The lens is 52mm and the adapter tubes are 55mm. I don't know of any particular "advantage" to using larger filters than needed, except for adapting to different lenses.

52mm filters are very common and you can get just about anything you want at at any price you want to pay. FWIW, step-rings can be a real PITA. I only use them when I have to.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 8:47 PM   #7

Hi BB,
Well, I can attach a 52mm lens, i.e. diopter, polarizer, to the camera right now ..... no adapter. So, if the step up is basically a 52mm ring, attached to a 58mm holder, then I should be OK? However, there is one easy way to resolve this issue. If the step up does not fit the camera when it is shut off (i.e. lens retracted) then I won't be able to use it.
Why do I want to use a 58mm lens? It's a matter of getting what I want .... in a reasonable time frame, at the best price. For instance - I can buy a 58mm Canon500D for $50 ... now. It may take me a while to find a 52mm, and will probably have to pay more for it.
Two things concerns me about adding a lens, especially one that changes the path of the light to the camera. Is the distance of the closeup lens from the camera lens critical ..... and ..... Is the configuration of the closeup lens (i.e. 58mm on a 52mm housing) critical. I have no idea about these things, or if they are considerations at all.
...... john

Last edited by Shinnen; Jul 6, 2014 at 10:13 PM. Reason: clarification
Old Jul 6, 2014, 10:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinnen View Post
Hi BB,
Well, I can attach a 52mm lens, i.e. diopter, polarizer, to the camera right now ..... no adapter. So, if the step up is basically a 52mm ring, attached to a 58mm holder, then I should be OK? However, there is one easy way to resolve this issue. If the step up does not fit the camera when it is shut off (i.e. lens retracted) then I won't be able to use it.
Why do I want to use a 58mm lens? It's a matter of getting what I want .... in a reasonable time frame, at the best price. For instance - I can buy a 58mm Canon500D for $50 ... now. It may take me a while to find a 52mm, and will probably have to pay more for it.
Two things concerns me about adding a lens, especially one that changes the path of the light to the camera. Is the distance of the closeup lens from the camera lens critical ..... and ..... Is the configuration of the closeup lens (i.e. 58mm on a 52mm housing) critical. I have no idea about these things, or if they are considerations at all.
...... john

My concern is if the step-up ring will clear the barrel. It will be 6mm bigger than the filters/diopters you're using now. If the lens retracts inside the barrel, the step-ring might crash when the lens retracts.

With the earlier FZ28/35, we had to be careful just to get a good 46mm filter that would fit inside the barrel without jamming. We couldn't step anything or the ring would crash into the barrel when the lens retracted. We had to turn the camera on just to mount the filter because the lens went deep inside the barrel when off or cycled.

That's what I'm asking. If a 52mm to 58mm step ring will clear the barrel? And the achromat might be quite a bit bigger than 58mm thread.

We normally added the close-up lenses and teleconverters to an adapter tube that mounted to the barrel, not the lens.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 11:02 PM   #9

The pics of the camera show it with a lens hood on in both the extended and retracted positions. That being the case, there wouldn't be a problem using a step up ring, unless it doesn't clear some other camera component.
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2014, 2:00 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTphotog View Post
The pics of the camera show it with a lens hood on in both the extended and retracted positions. That being the case, there wouldn't be a problem using a step up ring, unless it doesn't clear some other camera component.
I hope there isn't a problem, but I still think I'd measure it to be sure.