Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 26, 2014, 12:12 PM   #21

Hi BB, So, you're feeling is that an achromatic doublet isn't an improvement over a diopter? Hi TCav, Yes, well, I do like to take closeups, but I believe that this camera is capable of quite a bit with the right attachments. It may not be as good as a dSLR, but it produces some really nice pictures, when I get it right, even with the cheap diopter. I'm hoping that by shelling out a few bucks on a better closeup lens will improve it even more. Thanks, .... john
Shinnen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2014, 1:04 PM   #22

The 2 element achromatic is a diopter, just a better grade.

It might improve the image, but it won't change anything in how it works. A +2 will still be a +2. That's all I'm saying.
BBbuilder467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2014, 3:19 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie_Traveller View Post
G'day John

On the screen above, TCav & VT have mentioned about Reversing Rings & other lenses - they are technically correct in saying that any old film-camera lens 'could' be attached to the FZ lens via a 52mm dia reversing ring. I specify a film camera lens as it wil be manual in operation, so that you can then manually set whatever aperture you need, and use its focus ring to achieve fine focus of the subject. A digital [electronic] lens is useless once attached to a reversing ring as all the connections have been lost

Why I am emphatically advising you NOT to do it, is that the weight of another lens bolted onto the FZ zoom lens will burn out the little motor that does the zooming ... and without that, your camera is dead

Hope this helps
Phil
You are correct that the weight would be a problem on an electrically zoomed lens - I have only used this with manual zooming, so really hadn't considered that aspect.
As for needing a film camera lens, I don't believe that is necessary, as the focus and aperture settings on the add-on lens will be set to full open aperture and infinity focus. All focus and aperture adjustments are done with the camera. Some camera mounts leave the aperture fully open when the lens is not attached to a camera, so can be used as-is, but others need to have the aperture adjustment held open with a rubber band or some other arrangement.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2014, 5:00 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTphotog View Post
... As for needing a film camera lens, I don't believe that is necessary, as the focus and aperture settings on the add-on lens will be set to full open aperture and infinity focus. All focus and aperture adjustments are done with the camera. ... brian
G'day Brian

You -might- be correct as nothing is simple anymore, but-
With a digital / electronic lens attached to an SLR in the usual way, the camera body connects with the electric terminals at the rear of the lens barrel and does the focus & aperture stuff automatically. However when it is reversed, there is no connection of the electronics. As you say above, this means that the focus & aperture are running at 'full open'

However, for closeup work we need heaps of depth of field, therefore we need f16 - f22 - f32 sort of thing, and the electronic lens would deliver it in a reversed role

The reason I suggest an old film camera lens is that it will have a manual stop-down button on it for the user to activate and close the aperture down before shooting

@Shinnen-
You are running an FZ camera - as we do here
You want to do some good quality closeups - as we do here

I suggest that it's time you take the plunge and get any of the Canon 500D or the Panasonic LC55 [each +2 dioptre] or the Canon 250D [+4 dioptre] in a 52mm diameter size to fit the FZ camera and start taking photos

To me, this discussion is beginning to revisit the same territory without any resolution - so I am going to bow out and move onto other things

Hope this helps
Phil

Last edited by Ozzie_Traveller; Jul 26, 2014 at 5:02 PM.
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2014, 9:45 AM   #25

Hi Guys, Thank you all for your help and suggestions. I know it's not helping you, but be assured .... it has helped me. I now have a much clearer idea of what I can and cannot do, and some understanding of what factors I need to take into account. ..... john
Shinnen is offline   Reply With Quote