Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 15, 2014, 9:23 AM   #1

Default Canon EOS Rebel T3...good entry level DSLR?

Iíve had a point-and-shoot Canon Powershot S5is camera for a few years now. Itís a decent camera with full manual control of shutter and aperture and all kinds of other stuff, but itís not as good as a DSLR cameraÖ..and Iíve finally decided to step up to a DSLR. I do a lot of hiking and backpacking, and one of the reasons Iíve kept my S5is for so long is because of itís sizeÖ.and it didnít cost me a fortune (so if I drop it, I'm not out several thousand dollars).

Iím looking for a good entry level DSLR that isnít huge and heavy, but will still take good photos and will take a wide variety of lenses. Iíd like to stick with Canon, but Iím not anti-Nikon either.

I saw that Amazon has some Canon EOS Rebel T3 packages on sale for under $400. Are these work looking at?
IQRaceworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 15, 2014, 10:10 AM   #2

i haven't been blown away with the T3 samples i've seen on various review sites but the price sounds good, and it will definitely be a step up from a point and shoot.

you might also consider the sony A3000, which is currently available at amazon for $294 with lens! review sites pan the EVF, and it's not as high res as many, but i tried it in store and honestly it wasn't bad, and nowhere near the way the review sites describe it. the sensor is nice, the camera seemed responsive. an EVF may not be the best option if you plan to shoot moving subjects in dark surroundings, though.

btw, they have used gear at bhphotovideo.com and keh.com that come with warranties, so they may have some options for you.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM
go here and choose the T3 and any other camera you want to compare image quality with. i find this very useful.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2014, 3:11 PM   #3

The T3 is a 12MP camera, which, if all you'll ever do is display your photos on a computer screen or webpage, is fine. But if you want to print anything larger than 4x6, you might want to consider the T5 or the T3i, which have 18MP sensors.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2014, 4:17 PM   #4

if the T3i is in your budget, i'd certainly get it ahead of the T3. it's a really nice camera. if you're on a $400 or under budget, i'd still recommend the sony A3000 for its image quality, and the handling isn't bad, either.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 6:37 PM   #5

Keep in mind that the cost of a body is small when compared the what you'll end up spending on lenses. ... especially if you want better results than you're getting from your S5is.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 8:35 PM   #6

true - but even a kit lens on an entry level DSLR will give better results than the S5is.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 7:15 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcake View Post
true - but even a kit lens on an entry level DSLR will give better results than the S5is.
Yes, while the Canon 18-55 is quite good for the kit lens on an entry level camera, it seems to be the exception within the marketplace, and even at that, it does display a lot of chromatic aberration at the wide end.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 10:06 PM   #8

Well, I think I've narrowed it down to either a Canon T3i, or SL1. Are there any Nikon DSLR's in the same price range I should look at also?
IQRaceworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2014, 11:48 PM   #9

you could look at the nikon D3200 or newer D3300. me, i like canons, but you could find these nikons work for you.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 6:47 AM   #10

The Nikons have a 24MP image sensor, while the T3i and SL1 have 18MP sensors.

The Canons and Nikons have about the same level of image noise, but because of the Nikon's higher resolution, the image noise is less noticeable. Also, at lower ISO settings the Nikons have greater dynamic range.