Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 17, 2014, 8:33 PM   #1

Default Need suggestions for good zoon, quick shutter speed for sports

Hi there! I haven't posted here since I bought my last camera several years back. Now, I'm needing a new one. I need something for sports. Both of my kids play football and I want something that has a fast shutter speed but also a good zoom. My Panasonic FZ-28 has a fantastic zoom, but the shutter speed is killing me!! I miss all the good shots because of it. I haven't done any research yet, so am going to do that, but thought I'd ask here since I got great advice last time. Thanks!
katina128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 17, 2014, 9:49 PM   #2

Are you missing the shots due to them being blurry, or is the camera just not focusing fast enough? If it's the latter, your choices are going to be limited to cameras with Phase Detect auto focus.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2014, 11:09 PM   #3

Actually, it's the lag time from when I take one picture to when the camera is ready to take the next. Does that make sense? Drawing a blank on what that's called. It's late. LOL
Old Aug 18, 2014, 12:15 AM   #4

If you are intrested in a dslr, Canon has the 70D which has an unbeatable 7 fps
WilliamSasson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2014, 12:42 AM   #5

Recent bridges are faster than your F28. I have the Panasonic FZ200 wich is rather fast for a bridge as you also can read here in this review conclusion.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pana...x-dmc-fz200/13

Here you can compare the specs of the FZ28 and the FZ200.

http://www.dpreview.com/products/com...tDir=ascending

Even faster as bridge is the recent Panasonic FZ1000. But this one is very expensive.
Rudi

Last edited by rudimaes; Aug 18, 2014 at 12:47 AM.
rudimaes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2014, 5:26 AM   #6

One of the problems with shooting sports is having an autofocus system that's fast enough to keep up with the action.

There are two types of AF systems:
  • Phase Detection - Separate optical sensors detect the distance of the subject.
  • Contrast Detection - The camera adjusts the focus to minimize the blur of the subject.
Phase Detection is faster than Contrast Detection, but is only available in the larger bodies of dSLRs, which makes dSLRs the best choice for shooting sports/action/wildlife.

A third option is the "Hybrid" AF system which places phase detection AF sensors directly on the image sensor. This system is available on a number of smaller cameras, mostly mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras, many of which profess to being faster to focus than dSLRs. A problem with these systems, however, is that few if any have lenses that would be long enough to shoot sports like football.

If you want good quality photos of your kids' football. I suggest you confine your research to dSLRs, and budget accordingly.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2014, 7:13 AM   #7

I was hoping to not have to go the DSLR route since they are big and bulky compared to a compact. But, I may have to. Another issue is not all stadiums allow them.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 7:26 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by katina128 View Post
... Another issue is not all stadiums allow them.
Where do your kids play?

If you sit quietly in your assigned seat, they won't generally object, but if you're wandering around the stadium, you might draw some unwanted attention.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2014, 7:30 AM   #9

OK - have to ask - what level of play are we talking about here? High school or college? In either case, are you trying to take photos from the stands? Are the games during the day or at night?
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2014, 7:40 AM   #10

Peewee and Middle school football, from the stands, mostly 6-9pm.