Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 19, 2014, 8:38 AM   #1

Default Nex6 or something else

Hi everyone!
I'm wanting to progress in my photography skills and upgrade from a good Canon superzoom point and shoot I have to something a little better. We're hoping to have a first child in the next year or two, so this gives me a good excuse to get something a little more advanced that will take better pictures, and give me time to learn it.

I originally was just looking for a waterproof camera for snorkeling, then I discovered waterproof housing for better cameras than the waterproof ones. So I thought it would be awesome if I could both upgrade my camera to something that would work for pictures of our future kids and something that would work for the occasional snorkeling trip as well, with the right gear.

This lead me to the RX100 but I think i want something a little more advanced without the bulk of your standard SLR. I've seen a lot of good stuff about the Nex6. But am I overlooking something better? Or comparable? Any suggestions? I'm not in a big rush to buy, so I want to research my options thoroughly. I tend to stick with a camera for a while, so I want something that will last. It doesn't have to be the latest and greatest either. A year or two old is fine. I just want it to be able to take good pictures (once I learn it anyway).

Thanks!
haradiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 19, 2014, 1:32 PM   #2

Little children are moving all the time, so you'll need a fast camera. One of the fastest small system camera's is the Sony A6000. An excellent camera that could give you pleasure for years to come.
Rudi
rudimaes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2014, 5:11 PM   #3

Babies don't do a lot of running around by themselves for a year or two, so that part isn't too much of a worry, yet, particularly since you are only in the planning stages.
Relating to your other post where you mention snorkeling and wanting something with a waterproof housing - a major consideration is going to be a camera for which a housing is available. From the admittedly little looking I have done in the past, you may be limited to one of the 'big three' camera makers for this. (not that that is a bad thing).
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2014, 7:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTphotog View Post
Relating to your other post where you mention snorkeling and wanting something with a waterproof housing - a major consideration is going to be a camera for which a housing is available. From the admittedly little looking I have done in the past, you may be limited to one of the 'big three' camera makers for this. (not that that is a bad thing).
See Aquapac Submersible Camera and Camcorder Cases.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2014, 8:50 AM   #5

The a6000 looks awesome. I like the faster auto focus and can see where that would definitely come in handy. Are there any other comparable cameras to it? I thought my husband was going to choke when intold him the camera I was looking at is currently priced at $650 on Amazon, without any lenses attached. So, I may be selling the point and shoot and anything else I can to make it easier on the pocketbook. I would love an SLR but I don't want the bulk of having to carry it all. I like the smaller camera size of the mirrorless styles just because they seem to allow flexibility without quite as much extra stuff.

The waterproof part isn't as big a deal. We may go snorkeling 2 or 3 times a year. So I can be patient waiting for housing that fits, or can save up for just a cheap waterproof camera later.

Thanks all for your advice!
Old Aug 20, 2014, 9:12 AM   #6

The A6000 is a better choice than the NEX6, but as with all mirrorless systems, the selection of lenses and accessories is slim when compared to dSLRs. Check before you buy, that you'll be able to do what you want with the system you choose.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 11:09 AM   #7

TCav, why would you say that the A6000 is a better choice than the NEX6?

thanks
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2014, 1:10 PM   #8

TCav, is there a smaller dslr that wouldn't require so much extra? What is a good SLR that would be good to learn on, and, obviously my skill level considering and how much effort I put in to learning it, give me good pictures of nature, kids, pets, and anything else I find to photograph? I have no plans to do anything on a professional business level, but I would like something that can help me attain better than average point and shoot. So if a mirrorless can do that, I'm okay with that. I don't really want a ton of accessories. Just a few good lenses and the bare essentials. But if I can get the pictures with an SLR and not have to carry a huge camera with a bag full of stuff, I'm willing go that route too. I hope that makes a little bit of sense.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 5:06 PM   #9

what do you mean by "wouldn't require so much extra"?

there is the canon SL1 (or it's called the 100D outside the US). it's the smallest DSLR on the market, and is as small as the largest mirrorless cameras. it's also lighter than its big brothers, the T2i, T3i and so on. it's on sale in the US right now, and maybe elsewhere, and the STM kit lens, which not ideal for everything, is sharper than the old kit lens.
http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...l1-review.html

i rented an SL1, and used it for a few days. i was happy with a lot of things about it, but it's not as light or as small as the A6000. i played with the A6000 for a while, and i really like it, but i liked the SL1, also. if size is a factor, the A6000 is really small and light - it's smaller and lighter than a lot of micro four thirds cameras that have smaller sensors. the A6000 is one of the cameras i'm considering right now. it doesn't have all the features i'm looking for, but it does pretty well, and image quality is pretty nice.

the thing is that lenses are a big part of the equation with removable lens cameras. a zoom lens is going to add to the weight and size of the camera, and they're also going to cost additional money. right now the NEX6 is a bargain with the kit lens, and while the kit lens won't be great in lower light, it's a very small zoom, which is handy if you want a small and light lens.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2014, 5:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcake View Post
TCav, why would you say that the A6000 is a better choice than the NEX6?
The A6000 has a 24MP sensor, while the NEX6 has a 16MP sensor, and the A6000 has a faster AF system. The A6000 is the replacement for the NEX6, so the differences are incremental.