Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 28, 2014, 1:33 PM   #1

Default Canon 70D & Lens

I am looking into the Canon 70D. I am upgrading from my T2i. It has some great reviews and was wondering if anyone has it and likes it. I also would like to know your thoughts on the 18-135mm STM Lens and the Canon EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS. I have heard the 200 tends to slide out all the time, which I would not like. I have also heard the 135 does to. Is this true about the 135? What is a good lens for the 70D that does not slide out? Thanks
photosbyjeanene is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 28, 2014, 6:43 PM   #2
JR1

70D is a well respected camera, "slide out", do you mean lens creep, most do, try my 150-600 Siggy

Does not "slide out", any not on ice

https://www.facebook.com/JRSPhotography.co.uk
JR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2014, 6:45 PM   #3

Both the 18-135 IS STM and the 18-200 IS have a lot of distortion at the wide end, a lot of vignetting at any focal length, and a lot of chromatic aberration at the extremes. The 18-200 IS also has a lot of field curvature (soft corners) throughout its zoom range.

They are both jacks-of-all-trades-and-masters-of-none. If you can stand a shorter zoom range, the 15-85 IS USM is a better choice.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2014, 6:46 PM   #4
JR1

I tend to agree with TCav

It would help to know what you want to use the camera for ?

Old Oct 29, 2014, 8:48 AM   #5

I am a photographer, I do weddings and portraits of all kinds. I want an upgrade from my T2i which anything should be an upgrade from it. lol I also have the efs 17-85 mm and love it, but I also what to upgrade that as well. I want something with more brighter colors and a little more zoom for the fun of just playing around. I take my camera with me EVERY where so I a lens that will hold up.
photosbyjeanene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2014, 9:14 AM   #6

The 15-85 is a great event lens, and is an upgrade from the 17-85.

85mm is a good focal length for portraiture, but not with an aperture of f/5.6. For that, you might consider a 70-200/2.8 or even a prime like Sigma's 85/1.4, 105/2.8 OS Macro, 70/2.8 Macro, or Tamron's 90/2.8 VC Macro or 60/2.0 Macro.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 9:51 AM   #7
JR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by photosbyjeanene View Post
I am a photographer, I do weddings and portraits of all kinds. I want an upgrade from my T2i which anything should be an upgrade from it. lol I also have the efs 17-85 mm and love it, but I also what to upgrade that as well. I want something with more brighter colors and a little more zoom for the fun of just playing around. I take my camera with me EVERY where so I a lens that will hold up.
Hmmm

I wouldn't have thought it would have been high end enough for pro work and for paid work I assume you use two bodies

Also it is a small sensor I use FF for weddings etc

Last edited by JR1; Oct 29, 2014 at 9:55 AM.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 3:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR1 View Post
Also it is a small sensor I use FF for weddings etc
A Canon 60D or 70D, paired with an appropriate lens and flash, is perfectly adequate for covering weddings and other events, when in the hands of a capable photographer. A 'Full Frame' body only has a few advantages over an APS-C body, and those aren't very significant. On the other hand, an APS-C kit has some significant advantages over 'Full Frame' kit. (See my 'Full Frame' versus 'APS-C'.)
Old Oct 29, 2014, 4:04 PM   #9

i'd consider a faster lens for weddings. you can get canon lenses used at bhphotovideo.com and keh.com, and both come with some warranty.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2014, 6:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcake View Post
i'd consider a faster lens for weddings.
I'm a big fan of available light (The last flash I owned used bulbs.) but for weddings, I'd say that a good flash is essential, more so that larger apertures. And what is also essential is a good zoom range, something that you can use to capture good couples portraits as well as shots of everyone around a table at the reception. It would be tough to find a good, large aperture lens that can do all that, especially for a 'Full Frame' body.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcake View Post
you can get canon lenses used at bhphotovideo.com and keh.com, and both come with some warranty.
Adorama.com also sells used lenses.

Last edited by TCav; Oct 29, 2014 at 6:22 PM.