Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 21, 2014, 11:44 AM   #21

Yeah.... one of the reasons leaning towards the D7100 and its somewhat entry level price

One question - before spending the $ on the indoor zoom lens was thinking about trying a fixed zoom lens first, something like this one:

AF-S NIKKOR 85mm f/1.8G $499.95

Thoughts on that?
piratedad74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2014, 11:59 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratedad74 View Post
Yeah.... one of the reasons leaning towards the D7100 and its somewhat entry level price

One question - before spending the $ on the indoor zoom lens was thinking about trying a fixed zoom lens first, something like this one:

AF-S NIKKOR 85mm f/1.8G $499.95

Thoughts on that?
An 85mm can be an inexpensive way to start, but it is very restrictive. Especially on aps-c where you can have difficulty with it not being wide enough. I used to shoot volleyball with an 85mm 1.8 on aps-c. When camera ISO made using a f/2.8 zoom a possibility it really opened up the possibilities for different types of shots. It will be OK for volleyball but really restrictive for rock wall and indoor track.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2014, 1:43 PM   #23

I started shooting indoor sports (equestrian) with an 85/1.8, got some great shots and learned a lot. One of the most important things I learned was how to work with the fixed focal length. There's a lot to be said for that, but it would have been easier if I had spent the extra money and been able to skip over that lesson.

Going with an inexpensive prime is certainly a way for you to get started, without having to get a second mortgage, but another option is to spend just a little bit more, get the $769 Tamron, and see where it takes you.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2014, 1:47 PM   #24

BTW, appropriate lenses (and bodies) are available for rent at LensRentals.com, so you can try them before you make any large financial commitment.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote