Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 9, 2014, 11:58 PM   #1

Default SL1 or A6000?

so i'm still deciding on a camera. i have my G3 to tide me over, and have had time to consider my needs. first off, my right wrist has issues, so a lighter camera with fairly light lenses is important. i want to get back into APSC, and both of these cameras deliver that. both are comfortable to hold and work with for me, although the nod goes to the A6000. i'd like the viewfinder to show me what the pic will look like as shot in lower lighting - my last 2 sonys didn't do that, nor did my oly, as all three gained up, so the EVF showed much more light than the pics - but the A6000 i tried at samy's seemed to do a fairly decent job.

my thoughts about the SL1 - it's cheaper than the A6000. touch screen is handy. it's got a DOF preview button. lots of lenses available, including the 40mm and up and coming 22mm, both of which are good focal ranges for me. and in particular the 55-250 STM, which i rented with an SL1, has a great focal range, and is a light and sharp lens. on the other hand, 75% of the birds in flight, birds on the ground, squirrel and bug pics i shot were focused on the grass, branches or clouds, leaving the subjects blurry. could be technique - i haven't run into this issue with any other camera i've owned, so not sure what i could do to rectify this issue. other than this, i enjoyed using the camera a lot.

my thoughts on the A6000. it's super light, and a little more comfortable to hold. when i used it at the store, it seemed to focus well and quickly on moving subjects (rather than backgrounds). there are a lot less lenses, but the primes that interest me are stabilized, and my hands aren't too steady, so that's tempting. the 55-210 lens isn't quite as long as canon's 55-250, not as good for birding - could get an adapter and a longer A mount lens, i suppose, for daylight shooting. the kit lens is powered, which might be handy for video, although i found it a bit weird but could get used to it. the sales guy at samy's loves this camera, btw. he owns one, and he's a huge fan.

i shoot a lot of abstract closeups (not macros) in all sorts of light from broad daylight to dimly lit (and i want them to LOOK dimly lit), birds and local wildlife, stuff at museums and aquariums, product photography of jewelry we make. and i love shooting city scenes, sometimes at night, as well as daytime through dusk industrial scenes.

Last edited by pcake; Nov 10, 2014 at 12:01 AM.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 10, 2014, 3:31 AM   #2

The Sony A6000 is fast and light, but the selection of lenses is lean, especially at the longer focal lengths, and they tend to be more expensive and/or not very good. Also, most E-Mount Adapters to other lens mounts don't support autofocus and autoexposure, and the ones that do are notoriously slow to focus. Further, adapters increase size and weight and decreasing image quality. BTW, there are no E-Mount teleconverters or extension tubes.

I'd say that the E-Mount system isn't quite ready for prime time (if it will ever be.) While the idea of an E-Mount system may be attractive, the practicality often comes up short.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2014, 12:34 AM   #3

so i've now rented both the SL1 and the A6000. the A6000 is a very satisfying camera to shoot with, responsive and fast focusing and i really loved the screen, but the 55 to 210 lens did a such a poor job for me on far away subjects - it resolved them more poorly than my old SX230 - although zoomed all the way it does a good job on nearer closeups. i was very close to pulling the trigger on it, but there's no other lightweight longish zoom available nor is there one on sony's lens roadmap.

so today i ordered an SL1 from B&H that should be here thursday or friday. canon has so many lenses, and then there are all those sigma lenses, too.

i wanted to post this to thank you for your thoughts, and also for other readers who may have the same decision to make.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 4:15 AM   #4

I'm sure you'll enjoy the SL1. Good luck with it.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 3:31 PM   #5

huge change in plans - i ordered the SL1, but after spending some time with it just after 3 days with the A6000, i found that for me the A6000 was so much nicer and more satisfying to use that i got an RMA, shipped back the SL1 and my new A6000 is currently charging.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 6:30 PM   #6

The A6000 is also a fine camera. I'm sure you'll enjoy using it.