Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 12, 2014, 9:48 PM   #1

Default camera for bokeh, cruises, travel, and good video

Want something light and preferably an enthusiest p&s but would consider a light nex or other 4/3 type camera. Also. I want it to be used or refurbished. Would love slow motion video and WiFi. Budget max about $200 to $350. Current camera is a pany zs 15 which my wife will use. Any suggestions appreciated. Cameras I have considered canon s100, g 15, Olympus xz 2, rx 10, Sony nex 3 & 5, nikon j series, Fuji and Pentax cameras, and others. None are ruled out. Hoping for an endorsement for one of the above or other suggestions.
bob1841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 13, 2014, 6:11 AM   #2

Good bokeh means large sensor and large aperture. That'll be tough on your budget even used or refurbished.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2014, 10:17 AM   #3

I know almost all the enthusiast cameras can get some type of bokeh, not necessarily good bokeh. Olyympus XZ-2 can get bokeh for example but not in all instances. I don't need all instances, just for things like portraiture and flowers, etc. Some of the sony cameras have background blurring ability done through the camera. I was just hoping some of you would have experience with some of the cameras and could offer advice.
bob1841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2014, 6:24 PM   #4

What Sony (and others, no doubt) does is take two photos, one with the subject in-focus and one with everything out-of-focus. It then puts the sharp subject into the out-of-focus photo.

If that will do what you want, then the tough part will be the Slow-Motion and WiFi.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2014, 9:41 PM   #5

I have a Fuji which has what is called 'Pro Focus' mode, that simulates a wide aperture lens on a larger sensor camera. It works OK, within its limitations, but the manual doesn't give very clear or definitive instructions on it. The camera will let you know when the effect won't work, but doesn't explain why or what to change, so it's a hit or miss proposition, unless you spend a good bit of time with it.
'Bokeh' is just the out of focus effect of a background. You can get the effect with any camera, if you take the time to adjust the relationships among the camera, subject and background. Mainly, you need to keep the subject a little closer to the camera than the b/g.
'Good' bokeh is a pretty subjective term. Usually, it is best achieved with the aperture wide open, because in this condition the lens iris is circular, and the out of focus elements in the scene will have smoother transitions. Some lenses have larger numbers of blades, and some have curved blades, both of which help with bokeh when you stop down the lens.
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2014, 9:54 AM   #6

Fuji x-10 through x-30

Personally own a x-10 / f2.8 with dof indication available in mf

ps. 'stop down the lens' = opening iris resulting in a smaller f stop #/ratio
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2014, 6:30 PM   #7

Suprisingly good bokeh can be had out of Panasonic's LX-7....
Scroll down the page...!
http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Pa...Lumix_DMC_LX7/
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote