Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 15, 2014, 12:14 PM   #1

Default Down to two choices

Canon SX600HS or Sony WX350. My only concern is overall picture quality and camera useability. Smart features of no interest.
inazsully is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 15, 2014, 3:10 PM   #2

The Canon PowerShot SX600 HS has a 16MP 1/2.3" sensor and an 18x optical zoom f/3.8-6.9 lens.

The Sony Cybershot WX350 has a 18.2MP 1/2.3" sensor and an 20x optical zoom f/3.5-6.5 lens.

In all other respects, they're very closely matched. The differences are very slight, but the Sony has the edge.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2014, 6:23 PM   #3

A comparison of the two aforementioned cameras here...
http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/So...solution.shtml
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2014, 1:13 PM   #4

Thank you for the responses. After spending several hours at the mentioned site my options have expanded slightly. Along with the Canon SX600HS and the Sony WX350 I am now considering the more expensive Canon SX700HS and the less expensive Canon ELF340. All four are in the 83-84 score range but realistically the Canon ELF340 seems to offer the best bang for the buck. While the larger zooms are tempting The overall everyday picture quality seem to be pretty equal. Do you think the SX700HS's inclusion of the Digi+6 over the SX600HS's Digi+4 offeres enough return on investment to spend the extra money?
Old Nov 17, 2014, 1:52 PM   #5

Much depends on how you plan to use the camera...
If you're happy to just "point and shoot" and don't need a huge zoom- maybe the SX600hs would suffice...
The SX700hs does offer a great deal more- not least stereo audio in movie mode (unlike the other two...) and full manual control for tricky exposure conditions or creative manipulation.
The prices of the SX700hs do seem to be falling also (and Black Friday is looming.....).
One note of caution- the Elph 340 allegedly has rotten battery life...!
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2014, 5:05 PM   #6

Thank you Simon40. Most of my use will be just taking pictures. Seldom if ever movies. A lot of land scape and vacation stuff. I have two Canons now and I think they all still use seperate outboard chargers so an extra battery for the ELF would be a must. Any zoom the 12-18 range should be fine. I agree that the SX700HS is the cream of the crop and depending on price it will be my first choice but they will all get serious consideration. I'll wait till the second week in December before I pull the trigger one one of these. Again thank you for your help. One thing I failed to notice is the maximum SD card these cameras will accommodate.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 1:53 PM   #7

I'm a little surprised we haven't seen a full review on the Sony WX350 yet here at Steve's. Right now it's becoming a bang for the buck choice between the Sony WX350 and the Canon SX600HS. The WX350 is coming in at $218 and the 600hs is $179 with a nice kit. From the review numbers the Canon comes in at 84 and the Sony at 83. So perormance is basically equal. Looks like the Canon is the logical choice.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 3:53 PM   #8

Thanks for everybody's help. I just ordered the Sony WX350. Tuff choice but the Sony offers 4K capabilty for pictures when attached to a 4K TV. I have a Sony 70x850b. The smaller size and slightly longer zoom also came into play along with the slightly more compact size. I wish Sreve's would do a full review though.