Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 23, 2014, 1:04 PM   #1

Default I want something lighter than my Canon 60D

I've been fretting over this for most of the year. I'm wanting to sell my 60D along with the Tamron 18-270 and nifty fifty lenses to fund my next camera.

I'm tired of lugging around the 60D and actually I don't do that much. It stays in the closet and doesn't see much use. My main uses for a camera would be photos of my 19 month old, landscapes, wildlife (fairly up close in hunting situations), etc. Also, I'll be going to Colorado next September for a backpack elk hunt and I would like this new camera to tag along for that. I'm wanting a "do everything" camera.

The Sony Alpha 6000 has caught my eye but I now wonder if an ILC is best for my needs. Not sure I want carry around a bunch of lenses. Two were plenty for me and sometimes I hated to switch between the two. Would I even be doing the A6000 justice if I only had a couple lenses?

Also, where's the best place to sell used photography gear? Ebay is a last resort.

Here's one of my latest shots of a deer I recently "harvested".

Finch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 23, 2014, 2:35 PM   #2

I'd say that a bridge camera like Sony's HX300/HX400 (H300/H400 if you can do without the eyelevel viewfinder) would probably be more than you need.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2014, 2:39 PM   #3

G'day Finch

and I would add to Tcav's suggestion - the Panny FZ200 or the Panny FZ1000
The former has lots of zoom, the latter has lots of sensor

Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2014, 3:09 PM   #4

TCav, I'll give the Sony a look. I should have mentioned that I DO want a viewfinder. I've discovered not all EVF's are created equally. Looking through the A6000, I was amazed. How does the HX400 compare?

Ozzie: Glad you mentioned he FZ200. I've had my eye on it for several months but no one near me carries it. I have the older FZ35 but I have one concern. I could never get a shallow DOF with the FZ35, why is that? I hope the FZ200 wouldn't have this issue.

Also, I've been thinking they would come out with a successor of the FZ200???

Last edited by Finch; Nov 23, 2014 at 3:11 PM.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 3:32 PM   #5

i LOVE the A6000 so much i returned my just-ordered SL1 and ordered the A6000. fast autofocus, very accurate for the things i shoot. i found the menu intuitive, having 2 dials rather than the 1 on some smaller cameras highly useful and the EVF was good for my needs. i've never enjoyed shooting so much as i did with the A6000 - but everyone has different needs. my husband, for example, is a dedicated OVF guy. i found that the A6000 EVF showed exposure accurately except in super low light, and it still could with a little tweaking.

the successor to the FZ200 (which has a lot to offer if you shoot in decent light) may be the FZ1000, which is bigger and heavier than the FZ200 with a bigger sensor. btw, it's still nowhere near your 60D in weight.

one more option might be to get a T4i or SL1, which would mean you could continue to use your existing lenses on a lighter camera.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2014, 5:40 PM   #6

The already suggested FZ1000- has a zoom range close to that of your Tamron lens (and is faster)- and a large enough sensor to offer decent high iso performance with some shallow DOF effect if you want it...
The Sony RX10 is in the same mould- though with a shorter zoom range (200mm)- but it does offer a faster lens (f/2.8 throughout the range...).
Neither are "small" however...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2014, 2:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finch View Post
TCav, I'll give the Sony a look. I should have mentioned that I DO want a viewfinder. I've discovered not all EVF's are created equally. Looking through the A6000, I was amazed. How does the HX400 compare?

Ozzie: Glad you mentioned he FZ200. I've had my eye on it for several months but no one near me carries it. I have the older FZ35 but I have one concern. I could never get a shallow DOF with the FZ35, why is that? I hope the FZ200 wouldn't have this issue.

Also, I've been thinking they would come out with a successor of the FZ200???
G'day mate

A couple of qwik examples ...
To get a shallow DoF with the FZ35 or similar camera, back off a bit & use more zoom. eg:

Each image is almost max zoom + in-camera macro to assist close focus, subject about 1,8m from camera

Does this help?
Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2014, 6:26 PM   #8

Well, I've decided to keep my 60D. I think I may just buy another camera that could be a little more portable but keep the 60D for those instances of when I NEED it. Thanks for the help guys.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 1:34 PM   #9

Very crisp shots Phil well done.

Finch, I've done the same thing, because I was getting fed up with lugging a fair bit of weight about on holiday Nikon D5100 +18-200mm lens, I'm 79 now and these things become important.
So I bought the FZ200 for walkabouts and kept the Nikon in the back of the car for indoor low light shots /portraits where it excels.
I'm really enjoying using the FZ200 ,the slow motion videos are very good but had the FZ1000 been around I think I would probably gone for that.
Good luck.
Holster + Shoulder Bag.
Beike carbon 4 section tripod/monopod
Gorillapod SLR Zoom + BH1 ball head
Panasonic FZ1000
Panasonic FZ200
Nissin D i40 Flash
+ SLR Gorillapod
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2014, 9:36 AM   #10

deadshot, so you didn't or couldn't find a "do all" (lighter) camera to meet all of your needs?

I went to a reputable camera store but nothing the salesman showed me suited me. I guess a want a smaller body that still provides me with shallow DOF like my 60D and that DSLR quality.