Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 30, 2014, 1:58 PM   #1

Default want to buy camera

would like to be able to photograph close up daylilies and iris as I hybridize both, would like to photograph mountains as I like to climb. would like fast shooting bps, good screen and viewfinder? under $500.00 would like Gps and Wi-Fi and easy to send to phone, computer. not to expert as a novice, great image quality, great battery life and image stabilization thank you,
Hamblda
hamblda is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 19, 2014, 11:40 AM   #2

hamblda,

Thank you for joining the forums, and for your question. I'm sorry no one has answered you. It's possible no one had any input.

I would suggest you look at some of the Prosumer cameras on our Best Cameras page. I recommend them over other options in your price range because many of them offer great image quality thanks in part to their physically larger image sensors and high quality optics. Keeping the price under $500 might be difficult, as that's the starting point in MSRP for many of these higher end cameras; which have the features and quality you're looking for.

If you look at some of the older models (past generations), you might be able to come under that price point (while not sacrificing quality). Some of the older cameras are still great, and being that many of them have been replaced by newer models, you can pick them up for a bargain.

One model that comes to mind, which isn't that old, is the Canon PowerShot G16. It offers a larger 1/1.7-inch CMOS image sensor, a fast f/2.8 5x optical zoom lens with optical image stabilization, and it includes an impressive macro focus range for your flower shots (focusing as close as 0.4" from the front of the lens). It also offers decent battery life, and built-in Wi-Fi.

You can see more about the camera in our hands on review (along with links to where the camera can be purchased for under $500).

I hope this helps, and good luck!
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2014, 10:33 PM   #3

Default what camera to buy

thanks Billy for replying, I will research that camera, thank you,
hamblda
Old Dec 28, 2014, 8:39 PM   #4

Default what camera to buy

Dear Billy:
Looked at reviews at BH and your reviews, here are the cons,
Cons
  • Price is a little high
  • Optical zoom is limited to 5x
  • Camera body is a little chunky
  • No touch screen LCD
  • No articulated LCD
  • Wi-Fi is tricky to set up and use
  • Menu design could be better
  • Camera's burst mode performance slows noticeably in RAW mode
  • Very few movie control options
  • Optical viewfinder is very basic with no shooting information displayed
  • Can't match image quality of mid-level DSLR cameras
Will keep looking, thanks,
Dale
Old Feb 20, 2015, 10:08 AM   #5

Default need help buying camera

just was recommended to buy Panasonic DMC- ZS40, know anything about this camera, will research it and see what they say here, thanks,
hamblda
Old Feb 20, 2015, 11:14 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamblda View Post
just was recommended to buy Panasonic DMC- ZS40, know anything about this camera, will research it and see what they say here, thanks,
hamblda

We have not tested this model yet, so I can't comment on its performance. However, Panasonic is known for making some fine cameras, and that model has some appealing specifications.

We're hoping to get one in from Panasonic at some point.

Good luck in your search!
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2015, 8:19 PM   #7

i could be wrong, but i'm pretty sure that the EVF on the Panasonic DMC- ZS40 is the same EVF as on the LF1. i sold my LF1 because the EVF was small enough to be challenging to see through. i previously owned a ZS20, and found it fiddly to hold, which made shooting pics difficult.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2015, 1:50 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy View Post
We have not tested this model yet, so I can't comment on its performance. However, Panasonic is known for making some fine cameras, and that model has some appealing specifications.

We're hoping to get one in from Panasonic at some point.

Good luck in your search!
The new Panasonic ZS50 has a higher resolution EVF than the ZS40 (1,1 mp vs 0,2mp). I curious to know what the quality is.
Rudi
rudimaes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2015, 3:26 AM   #9

my problem was with it was the actual size of the viewing area rather than the resolution. i use some cameras with small viewfinders, like the canon G15, but the LF1 EVF was so dinky...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudimaes View Post
The new Panasonic ZS50 has a higher resolution EVF than the ZS40 (1,1 mp vs 0,2mp). I curious to know what the quality is.
Rudi
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote