Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 4, 2014, 9:57 AM   #1

Default canon 7d markii or 5d markiii

Hesitating between the new 7d markii and the 5d markiii.
The 5d would cost me just 450 extra...
Which would you buy ?....
I would just gain the FF format (better iso)....performance should be the same.
guillermovilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 4, 2014, 4:07 PM   #2

The 23MP 'Full Frame' 5Diii has about a stop to a stop and a third advantage over the 20MP 'APS-C' 7Dii with respect to image noise.

If you've got any EF-S lenses, they won't work as well on the 5Diii, and many EF lenses that work fine on an APS-C body won't work as well on a 'Full Frame' body either.

What lenses do you have, and what do you want to shoot?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2014, 4:42 PM   #3

I've got a canon 70-300mm L and i want to shoot everything but i do like shooting motorsport...therefore looking for something quick
guillermovilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2014, 6:28 PM   #4

The Canon 70-300L has a lot more vignetting wide open and a little more distortion on a 'Full Frame' body than on an APS-C body. The 5Diii also has a wider angle of view than the 7Dii, so you'd need a longer FL to get the same shots. The 7Dii can shoot at 10 fps, while the 5Diii tops out at 6. The 7Dii also has a faster processor but which AF system is faster is probably a toss up.

With that lens shooting motorsport, I think I'd stay with an APS-C body, and the 7Dii is tough to beat.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2014, 6:57 PM   #5

I'd second TCav's sentiment... the 7Dii would be my weapon of choice- certainly for outdoor sports anyway...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2014, 8:04 AM   #6

The good news is the 70-300L is a fantastic sports lens. So, you are good to go there. Focus system of the new 7dII is slightly different than the 5dIII but the good news is, it seems to be on par performance wise with the 5dIII. The sensor performance on the 7dII seems to be excellent - you can ask NHL here about that - he has the 7dII which he uses for wildlife as well as a D810 so I think he can give you a good read-out on that front. It appears the weather sealing is about the same. But the frame rate on the 7dII really is nice. I went from a 1dIII to a 5dIII and I have been extremely happy since I don't shoot much sports anymore. But, there is a VERY noticeable difference in frame rate. If I were still shooting sports, the 7dII would be my choice. The focus system was always the biggest reason to go 1-series (and with the 5dIII that, now the 5 series). Unless you really want the FOV the 5dIII provides, there's really not a compelling reason to spend the extra money on that vs the 7dII IMO. I say that as a 5dIII owner.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote