Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 7, 2014, 2:49 PM   #1

Default Sony a5100/6000 or Samsung NX300?

I am looking for a compact system and have thoroughly researched two models: Sony a5100 or 6000 and Samsung NX300. I like the feature set on both cameras, but my research tells me that the Sony kit lenses are optically inferior to the Samsung kit lenses (18-55m OIS or 20-50mm). The NX300 also has image stabilization whereas this feature is missing in the Sony cameras (except through the lens). I am especially interested in hearing from someone with experience with the Sony kit lens in terms of IQ, sharpness, speed, etc. I am heavily leaning toward the Samsung NX300 for features, kit lens quality and current price in the U.S.A. Owners of either model, please let me know what you think. I am in no hurry about this purchase. Thanks for your help.
Justinian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 7, 2014, 3:34 PM   #2

The tough part of the Sony E-mount is that it has a relatively large APS-C image sensor (for a mirrorless camera) with a relatively short flange focal distance (distance from the lens mount to the image plane.) This requires the lens to bend light more in order to project an image over the entire sensor. This results in more distortion, vignetting, transverse chromatic aberration and field curvature. That is not to say that these obstacles can't be overcome, but that lenses that overcome them will be more expensive.

The Samsung NX Mount uses the same size APS-C sensor, but it's flange focal distance is comparatively much longer. As a result, lenses for the Samsung are better and/or cheaper than equivalent lenses for the Sony.

I should also point out that neither has a particularly good selection of lenses to choose from, so be sure you can get the lenses you want for whichever body you choose.

FYI, Samsung's NX bodies rely on optical image stabilization in the lens, just as Sony's E bodies do.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2014, 4:11 PM   #3

both brands have a disappointing selection of lenes, but the sony has an advantage imo as not only are there several inexpensive but very sharp sigma primes available for it, but there are also some e-mount lenses of higher quality made for their full frame cameras that will work on the A5100 and A6000 without an adapter. i considered a samsung NX years ago, but bought another brand instead, and i have to say that samsung isn't exactly cranking out the lenses.

btw, some of the sony lenses, including the reasonably priced 50mm 1.8, are well stabilized. i have the kit lens for my A6000, and have used the 55-210, and both have very effective stabilization. i chose the A6000 because of the built in EVF, which is one that is much better for me than the micro four thirds and canon DSLR viewfinders, but everyone has different needs. so far, i really like the camera a lot.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2014, 4:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcake View Post
both brands have a disappointing selection of lenes, but the sony has an advantage imo as not only are there several inexpensive but very sharp sigma primes available for it, but there are also some e-mount lenses of higher quality made for their full frame cameras that will work on the A5100 and A6000 without an adapter. i considered a samsung NX years ago, but bought another brand instead, and i have to say that samsung isn't exactly cranking out the lenses.

btw, some of the sony lenses, including the reasonably priced 50mm 1.8, are well stabilized. i have the kit lens for my A6000, and have used the 55-210, and both have very effective stabilization. i chose the A6000 because of the built in EVF, which is one that is much better for me than the micro four thirds and canon DSLR viewfinders, but everyone has different needs. so far, i really like the camera a lot.
Thanks for the replies. Do you know which Sigma primes will work on the Sony? How about sharp zoom lenses that won't break the bank? To be honest, I would easily choose either the a5100 or a6000 if only they had a sharper kit lens.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 4:39 PM   #5

there's a 19mm, 30mm and 50mm, each for about $200. the sony 55-210 isn't a bad lens at all, but i found when fully extended it didn't resolve distant things as well as i expected. otherwise pretty good for a consumer level lens - i got some good closeup (not macro) and medium shots i'm happy with, and it can be found from reputable sellers on ebay and amazon for less than $250.

this shot was taken with the A6000 and 55-210 lens at the end of the day with the sun going down, so pretty low light. lens was almost fully extended.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/15351105833/

Last edited by pcake; Dec 7, 2014 at 5:11 PM.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2014, 5:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcake View Post
there's a 19mm, 30mm and 50mm, each for about $200. the sony 55-210 isn't a bad lens at all, but i found when fully extended it didn't resolve distant things as well as i expected. otherwise pretty good for a consumer level lens - i got some good closeup (not macro) and medium shots i'm happy with, and it can be found from reputable sellers on ebay and amazon for less than $250.

this shot was taken with the A6000 and 55-210 lens at the end of the day with the sun going down, so pretty low light. lens was almost fully extended.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/15351105833/
Beautiful shot! Well, I am going to continue my research. I have even looked at the Fujifilm X E-2 and X M1 and the Olympus OM-D E-M10, which all receive excellent reviews, especially the Fujifilms. These are more expensive that either the Sony or Samsung, but as I said in my OP, I am in no rush, and will consider my decision carefully.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 6:50 PM   #7

I bought my wife the A6000 because she required an EVF, which effectively eliminated most others. Wanted internal EVF, not a bulky clip-on. Got the standard kit 16-50, but also the 55-210 which makes sense to buy on the initial purchase. They typically will have a sale "reducing it by $100" with the purchase of the camera. The problem is, it is marked up by $100 compared to the equivalent Canon and Nikon, so this just brings it back down in range where it should have been in the first place.

A note about lens distortion. Uncorrected, yes. Unfortunately, manufactures, not limited to Sony, are controlling costs by designing new lens with distortion, then relying on software to correct them out. Sony's jpg engine was designed to correct distortion issues to the extent that not notable. RAW is uncorrected so you see the flaws, however, RAW has to be processed in a software program, such as Lightroom, which has profiles for lens correction. I hate the trend because you are typically correcting by moving pixels around, but the still appear quite sharp.

Biggest dislike is the lack of a manual - beyond how to insert a battery and SD card. Want to educate self on focus peeking, high speed flash sync or HDR settings by reading the manuals, forget bout it. The only independent book is expensive and poorly reviewed. There are some great instructional videos on YouTube though. Particularly like the videos published by Gary Fong - a professional photographer and manufacturer of camera (primarily flash/lighting) accessories. He loves the camera...and is not a client of sony marketing.

Me, I drool every time I handle wife's camera. So much packed in that small package. I am seriously considering selling my Nikon stuff (D610 and full frame lens) that heavily invested in and switching to the A7II. I am actually holding off buying the Tamron 150-600 to decide between the Nikon to Sony (A with adapter) mount.

Last edited by tizeye; Dec 29, 2014 at 6:49 AM.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2014, 7:41 PM   #8

After doing more research on various mirrorless compact camera brands, I finally decided against either the Sony or Samsung, and bought a Fujifilm X-A1. I found an incredible deal on eBay for the body and two kit lenses for $448 with free shipping. The image quality of the Fuji is simply outstanding, and the kit lenses receive very high ratings from expert and user reviews, so that is what settled the matter for me. Thank you all for your replies.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 6:50 AM   #9

Congratulations on the Fuji. They make great cameras. Enjoy, and keep in touch with your impressions.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote