Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 10, 2014, 1:54 PM   #1

Default Canon 330 vs 340?

I have been trying to find a exceptional version of the canon elph series and after a lot of research i came to the conclusion that the 330HS is the one i wanted. But they are no longer made and the few available are selling for stupid amounts. And the few listed reasonably i tried to buy only to find i can't for any number of reasons. Anyways, the 330, as much as i want that model is not a option.

Now there IS a successor to it, the 340HS. But from everything i have read it's not near as good. I know next to nothing about the tech side of cameras, but basically what they say is because it has more megapixels but the same size sensor as the 330, it doesn't take the same great pics. My reason for posting this is to ask if anyone can confirm or debate that. The 340 is in my price range and readily available. But nothing i have read about it suggests it's near as good as the 330. Thoughts?
dazco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 10, 2014, 6:54 PM   #2

i haven't owned the two cameras, although i came very close to buying a 330 at one point. that being said, the big complaints i see about the 340 are the lens is slower (which means it lets in less light) and they crammed more megapixels onto its small sensor, which usually does mean more noise (grain) in the pictures.

have you checked out pics in reviews of the 340 to see if they're good enough for your uses?

something i see is that professional reviewers don't like the 340 and feel it's a step back, but users seems to like it a little more. 90% of the 182 reviewers at bestbuy like it or love it, and more amazon users like it than don't. someone there put up some samples, and i felt even at their small size they seemed grainy, but the person who shot them is very happy with them.

i see the panasonic ZS25 around the web for just a little more than the elph 340. while low light pics are on the grainy side, the pics are pretty good the rest of the time, and i owned a ZS20, which was pocketably small. it has a lot more features than the elph line (except for the SD4000), but you can just use auto if you want.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2014, 12:37 PM   #3

No matter, i found a 330 refurb with full warranty direct from canon for $99 ! It's in the mail as we speak. The galleries for this camera are about as nice as any non DSLR camera i've ever seen. Supposed to be a lot better than the 340 in low light and have much better battery life. So i'm happy. I didn't want a 340 but I didn't think i had a choice, as the only 330's i found aside from used were in the $400 range !
Old Dec 12, 2014, 5:00 PM   #4

good job! please come back and let us know what you think after you've had time to play with it for a while
Old Dec 17, 2014, 11:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcake View Post
good job! please come back and let us know what you think after you've had time to play with it for a while
Got it today as a matter of fact. I've hardly used it but already i am utterly blown away. Granted, i know very little about cameras and how to use them, but i set it to 80 ISO because i generally find higher ISO's look too grainy and i'd rather mess with flash or lighting etc before resorting to that. So on 80 i was shooting pics in the house at night with no flash and low light and i was jaw dropped by the results. They were as clear and un grainy as my other cameras i have had would be in daylight ! On shots too low of a light to even get a usable pic at lowest ISO and no flash with my other cams, this thing will get a beautiful clear shot with no grain and get this....no blurriness when hand held ! It has that IS which till this camera has been nothing more than a gimmick on previous cams. Oh, and before i realized it was on auto ISO i shot a pic outside well after dark with no lights and it used 1600. The result was amazing....looked like other cams would do at maybe 400 ISO as far as clarity and lack of grain but had the amount of light of a 1600 ISO shot. Incredible.
I never owned a DSLR, but i have seen galleries by them and i swear this thing can hang with them ! Utterly amazing camera.

Last edited by dazco; Dec 17, 2014 at 11:08 PM.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 11:27 PM   #6

i'm glad to hear it worked out well, and that you're so happy with your camera

will you be posting a couple pics?
Old Dec 18, 2014, 12:29 AM   #7

Well, i didn't save any except this one that was just a test shot. As i mentioned, 80 ISO hand held with no flash or help of any kind in low light. I didn't even make an effort to hold the camera real steady. I couldn't get pics like this in good light with the camera on a tripod with my others.

Old Dec 18, 2014, 9:28 AM   #8

well, that DID come out nicely - i'm impressed. it's amazing how far cameras have come in a relatively short amount of time.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 9:39 AM   #9

According to everything i read while researching which to get, canon may have scared thierselves with the 330 and thats why the 340 is a step down. They supposedly saw the 330 was too close to thier higher end stuff in performance. So i'm not sure it's as much about cameras advancing as it is just canon putting too much goodness into one of thier lower line cams. I've never seen results like this gets from anything under about $400.