Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 12, 2014, 10:11 AM   #1
DJJ

Default Minolta Maxxum lense compatibility?

Need some info or advice.

I have an old Minolta Maxxum 7000 and would like to know if the Minolta autofocus lenses will work with any of the newer digital cameras.

I think these lenses are an "A" mount but I'm not sure.

Thanks
DJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 12, 2014, 12:23 PM   #2
Administrator

Yes, Minolta Autofocus lenses will work on some (but not all) of the Sony Alpha dSLR models without an adapter, as some of the older Sony dSLR models use a Minolta AF (a.k.a., Maxxum, Dynax, Minolta A mount) lens mount by default. Sony acquired Minolta's camera assets a while back, and kept the same lens mount on a number of dSLR models launched since that acquisition.

Even better, you get in body stabilization (anti-shake) with your older Minolta Maxxum lenses with some of those dSLR models.

But, Sony has introduced another new lens mount (known as the E Mount) that uses a newer type of lens with most newer models (models introduced over the last few years will be using the newer "E Mount" lenses)

So, you'd need to use an adapter to make use of your older Minolta Maxxum lenses with those newer Sony dSLR models (and you can find adapters from Sony and other vendors that let you use your A-Mount lenses on most newer Sony models).

What kind of budget have you got in mind for a new camera and what do you like to shoot more often?

What Minolta Maxxum lenses do you have now?

Personally, I have a number of Minolta AF (Maxxum) lens models, including a Minolta 28mm f/2, 50mm f/1.7, 100mm f/2, 135mm f/2.8, 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5, 35-70mm f/4 Macro. I also have a Konica Minolta 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6; Tamron 20-40mm f/2.7-3.5, Tamron 35-105mm f/2.8; Vivitar 70-210mm f/2.8-4 that are all A-Mount (Minolta Autofocus mount) lenses

Those are all Autofocus lenses that I use with a Sony DSLR-A700. That's a "dated" Sony camera model now, but there are newer models that would also work with your A-Mount lenses (where you'd have both Autofocus and In Body Stabilization/Anti-Shake with them). For example, some of the Sony models like the full frame Sony A850 and A900 have been very popular, even though they're "dated" models now, and have been replaced by newer models using E Mount lenses.

I'd give more about the lenses you have and you budget for starters, as that would help members give you better suggestions. IOW, if they're higher quality lenses, it may make sense to look for a Sony model that uses an A-Mount (or has an adapter available that lets you use them; as Minolta made a lot of very good lenses that may be worth hanging on to). Of course, if they're not very high quality lenses, it may make sense to open up your choices to other camera models that would not be able to use them. Pros and Cons.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2014, 1:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
But, Sony has introduced another new lens mount (known as the E Mount) that uses a newer type of lens with most newer models (models introduced over the last few years will be using the newer "E Mount" lenses)
While it's true that Sony has released a number of new camera bodies for the newer E-Mount, it continues to release A-Mount bodies (This past May, Sony added the new 24MP A77 II to the 20MP A58 and 24MP 'Full Frame' A99) and lenses (Sony recently released the new 70300 mm F4.55.6 G SSM II, Zeiss Planar T* 50mm F1.4 ZA SSM, 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM II, 70-200mm F2.8 G SSM II, and announced a few others.)
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2014, 3:27 PM   #4
DJJ

The lenses I have are both Minolta AF zooms. One is a 28-85 and the other is a 75-300. I bought them new around 30 years ago and they seem to be good quality and still in excellent condition.

I just looked around on a few websites to get info on the various Sony cameras but I'm finding very little information on the mount type. I think I have it figured out that any Sony model beginning with DSLR-A would have an A type mount. Is this correct?

As far as budget, probably around $500 or less for a body. I know that's not much for a camera these days but it will probably meet my needs as an amateur.

Thanks
Old Dec 12, 2014, 3:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJJ View Post
The lenses I have are both Minolta AF zooms. One is a 28-85 and the other is a 75-300. I bought them new around 30 years ago and they seem to be good quality and still in excellent condition.
The Minolta 28-85mm f/3.5-4.5 is thought of highly. It was a very good kit lens in its day, and has a very useful zoom range even today with the smaller (APS-C size) image sensors in most modern dSLRs. It's not as wide as many modern kit lenses, so you might want to use it to supplement a kit 18-55mm lens, rather than replace it.

Minolta made two different versions of the 75-300mm f/4.5-5.6 lens. The first was from 6.5" to 8.25" long, weighing almost 2 pounds, and was very good. (It is commonly referred to as the "Big Beercan".) In 1995, it was replaced with a lens with the same specs, but it was only from 4.75" to 7.5" long, weighing a little over a pound, and was not nearly as good.

Quote:
I just looked around on a few websites to get info on the various Sony cameras but I'm finding very little information on the mount type. I think I have it figured out that any Sony model beginning with DSLR-A would have an A type mount. Is this correct?
Not quite. Sony has released a number of cameras and reused the "Alpha" brand on many of them, blurring the distinctions between the A-Mount and E-Mount cameras. Currently, Sony's A-Mount use 2 digit model numbers, and some recently discontinued A-Mount cameras used 3 digit model numbers. Sony's 4 digit and single digit model numbers are all E-Mount cameras.

Quote:
As far as budget, probably around $500 or less for a body. I know that's not much for a camera these days but it will probably meet my needs as an amateur.
In that price range, Sony's 20MP $400 A58 (w/18-55 kit lens) is a good choice, and a good match for the lenses you've got.

Last edited by TCav; Dec 12, 2014 at 4:01 PM.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 5:28 PM   #6
DJJ

Is the DSLR-A58 the same as an SLT-A58?
Old Dec 12, 2014, 6:05 PM   #7
Administrator

Yes. Look at the Sony Product page that TCav liked to, and you'll see SLT-A58 under the more common model number in the upper left hand corner of the pages:

http://store.sony.com/-alpha-58-dslr...a-DSLR-Cameras

Then, click on the specifications tab and you'll see that model uses A Mount lenses (the category your Minolta Maxxum lenses fall into).

Given your budget, that kit (A58 with an 18-55mm lens included) is probably your best bet.

Also note that you'll probably want the wider 18-55mm lens with that kind of dSLR, because it has an APS-C size sensor (versus a 35mm size sensor like the far more expensive A99 offers).

Because of the APS-C sensor size, your existing lenses will appear to be "longer". Basically, your 28-85mm lens will have the same angle of view range you'd have using a 42-128mm lens on your Minolta 7000 (or a dSLR using the same 35mm film size sensor).

Or, your 75-300mm lens would have the about same angle of view you'd have using a 112-450mm lens on a typical 35mm camera model.

That's great if you want to capture further away details. But, a narrower angle of view can be a problem trying to fit closer subjects into the frame with something like your 28-85mm lens (because with it zoomed out all the way at it's 28mm setting, you're going to have about the angle of view you'd have using a 42mm lens on your current 35mm cameras)

Multiply the focal length by 1.5 to see how angle of view compares when using the same lenses on a camera with an APS-C size sensor, versus a 35mm size sensor or film size.

That's one reason that most "kit" lenses start out at around 18mm now. For example, the 18-55mm lens that comes with that A58 camera kit linked to would give you about the same angle of view as a 27-82mm lens on a 35mm camera model.

The smaller the image sensor or film size, the narrower the angle of view for a given focal length lens; or the larger the image sensor or film size, the wider the angle of view for a given focal length lens.

So, when using a camera using an imaging sensor that is smaller than 35mm film, your lenses are going to behave as if they're "longer" focal length lenses from an angle of view perspective.

Many (if not most) dSLR models are using APS-C size sensors, as the Sony A58 uses. So, just keep in mind that your lenses are going to behave as if they have longer focal lengths from an angle of view perspective. So, having a wider kit lens (something like the 18-55mm lens that ships with that Sony kit linked to) is a good idea to make sure you an fit more into the frame when shooting closer subjects.

Now, Sony has made a number of cameras with larger 35mm film size sensors (as in the Sony A99 that TCav mentioned). If you use a camera with a 35mm film size sensor, then your angle of view will be the same as your accustomed to with your Minolta Maxxum 35mm film camera.

But, a camera with a sensor that size is going to cost you a *lot* more money that your budget would allow (around 4 times your budget for something like a Sony A99 body using a 35mm film size sensor).

So, it sounds like your best bet is probably a camera using an APS-C size sensor like the A58 kit that TCav linked to that includes an 18-55mm lens (as at $399 for a dSLR body and kit lens, that looks like a super deal to my eyes, and you could still use your existing Minolta Maxxum lenses with it, and have both Autofocus and Anti-Shake features with those lenses).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2014, 7:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Is the DSLR-A58 the same as an SLT-A58?
Actually, no. There is no DSLR-A58. There WAS a DSLR-A580, (remember the three digit model numbers I mentioned?) but it has been discontinued. The SLT-A58 is a current model.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 8:07 PM   #9
DJJ

Ok, looks like the A58 will do what I need. Thanks for the help guys!
Old Dec 12, 2014, 8:30 PM   #10

Good luck with it, and come back and tell us how you like it.