Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 21, 2014, 6:12 PM   #11

I would get a Foscam FI9826w it has good night vision with its built in IR lights also has a 3X zoom. I have three of them and work fine in complete dark,, but then the picture will be in black and white. They are WiFi so you only have to plug in the power supply and link to your WiFi router. They can take a card to record but not sure if you can get 12 hours on it. There are ways to have it record right to your computer.

Foscam FI9826W (Black) 1.3 Megapixel (1280x960p) 3x Optical Zoom H.264 Pan/Tilt Wireless IP Camera
Attached Images

Last edited by Livoniabob; Dec 21, 2014 at 6:18 PM.
Livoniabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2014, 9:36 PM   #12

Very interesting. I think I have narrowed it down to 3 choices. I hope I am not missing any details on any of these three cameras. One of the three is the one pictured above, which is a bit more pricy than the other two. I am hoping I can get the videos on the computer and it can record for a night.

Foscam (The One Above): http://www.amazon.com/Foscam-FI9826W.../dp/B00HJYQE8C

Lorex HD Camera: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...=LOR-101815300

Swann Swanncloud: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...=QWA-102352041

Apparently the Swann can put videos "in the cloud" for recovery later. Not sure if this would be an advantage or not. I'd prefer to just have the camcorder record the video, and either transfer it to the computer or have it go directly to the computer. I'm still looking around...but I think these are the three best so far.
pearjas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2014, 4:46 AM   #13

Belkin also has a range of products available in a variety of packages: http://www.belkin.com/us/Products/ho...9C9DA3C83F70E/
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2014, 11:35 AM   #14

One thing I would be cautious about is the 'up to' specification for the night vision. You may be able to get a picture at those distances, but it is likely to be quite grainy and with little detail. (if that is what you need) I would consider half that distance to be where you could get a reasonably sharp and detailed picture.
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2014, 7:17 PM   #15

My guess is that the "up to" is based on the ability of the built-in IR illuminators to illuminate the scene. Any farther than the "up to" range and the light is too dispersed to reflect much back to the camera. I would also suspect that, with more IR illumination, that "up to" number would be longer (if the "up to" number isn't already enough to cover your bedroom.)

Remember that, in addition to being 'night vision' cameras, these are also conventional cameras capable of recording images from visible light. If they can record decent images of subjects 60 or 100 feet away in visible light, there's no reason to suspect that they couldn't record decent images of subjects 60 or 100 feet away in IR light, given that the subject was sufficiently illuminated.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2014, 2:57 AM   #16

I will definitely keep that in mind. I don't think distance will be an issue. Right now, I have it narrowed down to the first two on the ones mentioned above with the links. Is there any reason to believe I shouldn't be able to record sleep with either of these? It seems like it's a bit of a toss up. As long as I can record straight to the pc without use of an Internet connection in the dark, I should be good to go - I think??
Old Dec 28, 2014, 3:04 AM   #17

I should say that I do have a wifi network I could sync it to if necessary to record directly to pc, but I was hoping no network connection would be needed. I really can't tell if it's needed to record or if it's only needed to view your data using something such as your cell phone..
Old Jan 18, 2015, 12:25 AM   #18

I wanted to thank everyone for their time. I went with the Lorex camera above. It's not perfect, but I think it's going to work.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 9:54 AM   #19

Good luck with the Lorex, I've used them before (8 channel system) and it served me very well.
photobro is offline   Reply With Quote