Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 19, 2014, 10:49 PM   #1

Default Need Night Vision Camera

Hi everyone... here's my scenario: I'd like to record myself sleep. I know I can't be the first to want to do this, and I've done all kinds of research.. I've bought three night vision webcams, illuminators (or whatever they are called), and nothing gets it clear or light enough. The main problem is recording in darkness. With a webcam, I obviously connected it to a computer and had everything record to the hard drive...

I am now thinking, (as I've been thinking for a while but was talked out of it) that a camcorder of some sort might be my best bet. I guess my requirements would be 1) Good night vision 2) Able to either record to a computer or ability to hold a video for up to 12 hours 3) Obviously up to 12 hours of recording.

Most of the time, it would not record for 12 hours, but I have to be ready if that were to occur. Does anyone have recommendations? I'm eyeing a Sony DCR-SR42, but I can't be certain of the night vision ability, etc...and I figure you all know way more than I do about cameras
pearjas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 20, 2014, 8:20 AM   #2

As you've discovered even the best night vision camera requires a certain amount of light to record anything. This leaves you the option of adding some light to the bedroom, either a night light or an infrared camera with an infrared light source if a night light bothers you.
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2014, 8:35 AM   #3

Perhaps a security type camera would do?
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2014, 9:15 AM   #4

OP started the same type sleep/nightvision thread (which got many replies) here a few months ago:
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/wh...ing-sleep.html

Last edited by PeterP; Dec 20, 2014 at 9:41 AM.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2014, 2:25 PM   #5

Yes, I actually had forgotten I had started a thread about it already but that is what I followed (in buying the illuminators). I suppose I should go back to that thread now? I am not a camera expert. I'm mainly looking for specific recommendations on camera's, models, etc. The other reading was for people with a lot more experience than I have.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 2:27 PM   #6

As for the replies to this thread - I would be willing to add a nightlight or whatever is needed, but that still wouldn't be enough for the set up I have now. That's why I was kind of trying to figure out what camera I should look into, or at least a broad area of which camera I should look into.

A security-type of camera would be perfect, but I don't know if you can buy them without the system that comes with it and if you'd be able to record to a hard drive (or provide enough storage to record for a night)
Old Dec 20, 2014, 2:39 PM   #7

try: http://www.spyville.com/53cir-cam.html
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2014, 3:19 PM   #8

Security/surveillance cameras generally use BNC connectors, and connect to a monitor/recorder which can have as much recording time as you wish. If that is a more complicated or expensive setup than you're looking for, there are also wireless IP cameras of that type, as well.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...ey=IP%20camera
Some examples. Some of them can use local storage in the form of flash memory cards, or you can record to your PC.
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2014, 9:25 PM   #9

No worries!
Suspected as much. If you are anything like me, I tend to pre-forget things now before I even learn them anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearjas View Post
Yes, I actually had forgotten I had started a thread about it already
Old Dec 21, 2014, 3:44 PM   #10

Lol, I do the same. I will take a look at the links and get back on here!! Thanks everyone.