Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 4, 2015, 12:31 PM   #1

Default Old compact digital cameras vs. new smartphone cams

I don't know a lot about camera specs... I just like good pictures. Still, I would like the best camera to keep in my pocket. I currently have an old Canon SD4000, which was very good when I got it. I wonder if the technology has caught up, to the point where phones (e.g. iPhone, Samsung Galaxys) have come to surpass the camera quality of a phone like my SD4000. (I have upgraded my camera with the CHDK kit, added some features.)

I know the phones nowadays have better video quality(?), given my camera only shooting 720p I believe. But I'd like to still think that, since the whole camera body is dedicated to shooting pictures (as opposed to a phone, which most of it presumably is for phone purposes), that my camera still outperforms.
roaddawg31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 4, 2015, 2:32 PM   #2

Many people are forgoing P&S digicams, even new ones, in favor of their smartphones. They don't provide as many features or capabilities as digicams, but people will be carrying them around anyway, and the additional benefits of a digicam aren't worth the extra bother of carrying them around.

If you decide to skip a digicam, and just use a smartphone as your camera, you'll be in good company.

But there are things that you can do with a camera that you can't do with a smartphone. If you want to take snapshots, stick with a smartphone, but if you want to take photographs, you're better off with a good camera.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2015, 4:30 PM   #3

i have a samsung galaxy S4, and while it is trumpeted about that the picture quality is as good as a camera, i haven't found that to be the case. they're not even as good as a smaller sensor digicam. i used to have a canon SX230 that shot better quality pics. i, too, btw, have the SD4000, and quality-wise its pics are higher quality than the S4 or my daughter's S5.

most people i know just don't care that much about image quality. i have a relative who prides herself on being the family photographer, as well as the photographer at her job. she used to use an old olympus that always took smeary, grainy, tiny pics, and now uses her iphone. the fact that even at standard print size the pics look pretty crappy doesn't matter to her, and it doesn't matter to most of the other people in the family, either. i've always cringed when i saw relatives with warped heads, but i guess that's why i'm a camera enthusiast.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2015, 5:23 PM   #4

G'day RD

The convenience of the smartfone is taking over from quality of image & performance. It's your call.

Here's some test samples of mine ... a $50 pocket-Olympus vs a $200 smartfone. Remember also that the small camera has a 'real' zoom lens, whereas the smartfone is merely using digital zoom to alter the image size

1- the full frame test shot via the smartfone

2- the Olympus image up close

3- the smartfone image up close

It's your call

Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2015, 8:41 PM   #5

A third option might be one of Sony's QX line of cameras. They are all controlled directly by an app on a smartphone or tablet. One, the QX10, is quite small and can be left attached to the smartphone, while another, the QX1 is an interchangeable lens camera with an APS-C size sensor and a focal plane shutter, and can use any lens for the Sony E-Mount.

These are real cameras with high-end features that simply forego controls on the camera in favor of control via a smartphone or tablet.

Last edited by TCav; Jan 5, 2015 at 7:05 AM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2015, 5:41 PM   #6

Default Just to update

I just ordered an iPhone 5s phone, in large part because of its purported camera. It is 8MP vs. 10MP on my SD4000 Canon (I know MP isn't the be-all). I'll be interested in seeing what difference there is overall. I will admit, I bought the phone cause I'm a features guy... I like little fun things like slow-motion, panorama, etc. (My Canon has that, but not as good--2010 technology).
roaddawg31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2015, 11:22 AM   #7

i've seen pics from the 5s, and they won't compare in quality to your SD4000, but will have those new features to play with.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2015, 4:16 AM   #8

the iPhones do take excellent photos, but then again look how much they cost, so I should think so
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote