Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 5, 2015, 9:43 PM   #1

Default Ice on trees..... FZ150

Hi all,
I've taken a couple of cracks at this (last year during an ice storm and again this year) and the results are less than spectacular. Nor am I impressed with the photos people post on-line on this subject. The close ups show better than the distance shots (i.e. complete tree) but neither are anything to write home about. It's as if everything shows up well, except the ice. Is this a contrast problem? Will I get better results using my polarizing filter, or some other filter?
Thanks,
..... john
Shinnen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 5, 2015, 9:50 PM   #2

A polarizer could help in some cases, but if you are talking about ice and frost on trees in sunlight, you will probably need to dial down the exposure quite a bit in order to keep the highlights from completely washing out.
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2015, 6:01 AM   #3

Can you post an example of a shot you're not happy with?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2015, 8:17 PM   #4

Hi VTphotog,
I will try the polarizer. Yes, dialing down the exposure did help, but there seems to be a general lack of definition in the icy areas. I suppose ice will never jump out at one, but I'm hoping I can do better than what I have.
Hi TCav,
Can I post on the forum, or do I need to do it some other way?
..... john
Old Jan 8, 2015, 1:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinnen View Post
Hi TCav,
Can I post on the forum, or do I need to do it some other way?
You can post to the forum, or if you've got a photo on Flickr or some other photo sharing website you can just post a link to it there.

To post directly to this forum, click on the Go Advanced button below. In the next window, below the edit box where you enter the text of your post, there's a button called Manage Attachments that has everything you need to include a photo in your post.

There are some restrictions, such as the maximum file size and the height and width of the image, so you may need to crop and reduce the image in order to get your image attached to your post.

For more info, see How I post a photo to the forum.

I look forward to seeing your photo(s).
Old Jan 8, 2015, 7:48 PM   #6

Hi TCav,
Here are the pictures I took (I hope) ..... one closeup and one at a distance. I no longer have a website, so I'll have to post them here. They are only 18% the size of the originals, so I'm not sure what they're going to tell you.Name:  closeup.JPG
Views: 130
Size:  238.9 KB

Name:  Ice(18%).JPG
Views: 132
Size:  207.1 KB
....john
Old Jan 8, 2015, 8:23 PM   #7

Here are some of mine on the same subject:

I may be wrong, but I think that the ice in mine was heavier than the ice in yours. The ice appears in yours, but I don't think it's pronounced enough to command the attention you were hoping for.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 10:11 AM   #8

Hi TCav,
Yes. The ice in your is definitely heavier. Nice pictures.
Thanks for your help.
.... john
Old Jan 9, 2015, 11:19 AM   #9

John,
In these shots, the overcast provides a fairly soft, non-directional light, and not a lot of contrast, This can be good for getting lots of detail, but leaves the picture a little flat, as you have noted. In this case, if you want to emphasize the highlights of the ice in the trees, you are going to have to increase the contrast. One way is to use the 'Increase Local Contrast' tool in some editing software. I use Image Analyzer for this, but I think that Photoshop Elements has something similar, and probably others. Overall contrast increase, in the case of your second picture, would help where the icy limbs have the building behind them, (where the effect is already noticeable), but would probably wash things out where the sky is the b/g.
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2015, 2:09 PM   #10

Thanks for the tip.
I have an older version Lightroom (and Helicon filter, that I like), which will, I think, do local contrast. But my main concern is really the lack of definition in the icy areas. Is this just may be the nature of the beast (ice), that it will not show up well in photos. Here's another (cropped) image of the closeup. Am I being too picky here?
..... john
Attached Images