Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 13, 2015, 9:22 AM   #1

Default Any reason why I should buy Sony A5100 over A5000 (both used)...

...besides higher megapixels (24mp vs 20mp)?

And if I remember reading right, the Sony A7S is a more expensive version of the A7 but with much less megapixels for better image quality because of the lesser dense CCD. If that's the case, then wouldn't that be true also for the A5000 over the A5100?

I own the regular A7 and extremely happy with it, which is why I'm looking to get the A5000 for my everyday street-shooting. I would then save the A7 for my more serious architectural photography.

What I like so much about the A7 so far is the EV spread when controlled through my smartphone -- from -5.0ev to +5.0ev so that is a 10ev spread.

Another thing I like so much about the A7 is, with the A7 mounted on a tripod being controlled by my smartphone, people think I'm texting when I'm actually shooting them. Definitely a boon for my "Solitude in New York City" street-HDR photography.

Plus I don't touch the camera at all when changing EV values -- I change them on my smartphone -- so bracketed images are perfectly aligned all the time.

I'm watching B&H's used section everyday as there always seems to be a batch of mirrorless Sonys every morning mostly gone by noon.

Would appreciate any input. Old timers here already know me so would doubly appreciate input especially if my style is considered. Thanks a lot.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 13, 2015, 11:52 AM   #2

I'm going for the A5000. I have 30 days if I change my mind.

Last edited by vvcarpio; Jan 13, 2015 at 11:55 AM.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 1:54 PM   #3

Aside from the 20MP sensor in the A5000 and the 24MP sensor in the A5100:
  • The A5000 has an ISO range of 100-16000 in 1 EV steps, while the A5100 can do 100-25600 in 1/3 EV steps.
  • The A5000 only has Contrast Detection AF, while the A5100 also has the Phase Detection AF, just like the A6000.
  • The A5100 has a higher resolution LCD display that's also touch sensitive.
  • The A5100 has a continuous shooting speed of 6 fps, while the A5000 maxes out at 2.5.
While the A5100 is an upgrade to the A5000, it's more appropriately a less expensive version of the A6000.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2015, 2:20 PM   #4

Hi, TCav.

I was making a list of my requirements in my head earlier and none overlapped with your list so that's good. I also have the A5000 in my hands. (I had to pull the trigger on it this morning because it -- like all the other A5100s and A5000s I missed out on at B&H's used section the past couple of weeks because I delayed, demurred, and dithered -- I'm sure would be gone by noon, too.) In my requirements, only one I haven't found how to set on the menu -- Long Exposure Noise Reduction. My requirements:

RAW
manual mode (I control f-stop, speed, and ISO)
manual focus
-3.0 to +3.0 EV spread
long exposure NR turned off
steadyshot turned off

Long exposure NR may be called something else on the A5000. I will have to go through the menus one more time.

Thank you for the info, TCav. I was actually counting (and knew I could count ) on your reply. Among the features you noted, the higher resolution LCD would be the most tempting if I ever move up.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 5:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvcarpio View Post
Long exposure NR may be called something else on the A5000. I will have to go through the menus one more time.
Both the A5000 and A5100 perform Long Exposure NR automatically whenever an exposure is 1 second or longer. You can't turn it off, so there's no menu setting for it.

If you want to be able to turn it off, you need to move up to the A6000.

Last edited by TCav; Jan 13, 2015 at 5:25 PM.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 10:28 AM   #6

Hi, TCav.

That was pretty much what I surmised after I downloaded all three manuals for the A5000, A5100, and A6000. In a way it's good that LENR is available only on the A6000 and not the A5100 -- foregoing two models higher up instead of one is much easier to digest. After all, the A5000 and what this APS-C "baby" can do was really what enticed me.

I was thinking whether lack of LENR control would be a showstopper for me. So I put the camera in its paces during a test HDR shoot this morning.

When shooting for HDR, my 2 or more overexposed frames mostly run from 2 to 4 seconds. So with LENR turned on would run 4-8 seconds. Besides being out in subfreezing temps in the winter that much longer, when I do my street-HDR photography, my intended subject would also have that much extra time to walk away from my scene.

But I guess with any change, especially in camera body, something has got to give. And LENR is the least of my concerns. It turned out, too, that with LENR on, I seem to get much cleaner images. I noticed that during my Topaz DeNoise step. So there may be a silver lining after all. I'll have to run a few more to be absolutely certain.

I uploaded some pics of my new setup. The A5000 body seems very tiny behind my ultrawide Sigma lens. Very unorthodox.

While shooting this morning, the A5000 already attracted a would-be enthusiast, who started asking me for advice for an under $1K camera. When I said my camera cost $450 new which I got for $250 used at B&H, he pulled out his pen and paper and started taking notes. He seemed very pleased at the price-point. The other day, when I was shooting with the A7 on a tripod outside busy Port Authority, a chap approached me, too, asking how I liked the A7 because he was planning on getting the A7S.

I have only been shooting with the A7 and A5000 for one day each, and already I've had two pleasurable encounters out on the streets of New York City. Probably because of their unorthodox appearance, the Sony mirrorless cameras seem to be the talk of the town these days, figuratively and literally. I can see myself having a lot of fun with this camera.

Thank you very much for the info.

A5000 body with the Sigma 10-20mm on the LA-EA3 adapter.

My first A5000 HDR:

My first A7 HDR: "Visiting Earth."
Old Jan 14, 2015, 5:08 PM   #7

I just realized that we're having two separate conversations simultaneously.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 6:24 PM   #8

.... and at the same time
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2015, 2:03 PM   #9

Yes, I realized that, too.

A few more A5000 HDRs. Perfect alignment each time is a joy. I skip the alignment step now. I also see less blue and red specks with LENR on so images are much cleaner.

Old Jan 16, 2015, 2:51 PM   #10

Here's another HDR with my A7:

"Cracking out the whip."

It probably looked to him like I was texting when I was in fact shooting him.