Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 2, 2015, 3:08 PM   #1

Default FZ150 jerky playback

Hi,
I was testing a new SDHC card today to see how it performs, and the playback was very jerky, both audio and video. I haven't used the video since summer, and it was great then. (I have it set for MP4/FHD.) I tried several other cards with the same result. It looks normal when recording, and the stills seem fine; but when I transfer the card to the reader and play it, it's jerky. I've tried putting other videos on the card, and they play fine, so it doesn't seem to be the card or Windows(XP).
Any thoughts are appreciated.
Thanks,
.... john
Shinnen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 2, 2015, 6:24 PM   #2

My old XP computer won't play my FZ150's FHD... I have to use the 1280x720 or 640x480...
A pretty fast system is required for full HD playback.
The "other" videos... I'm guessing they weren't recorded in full HD ?
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2015, 10:20 PM   #3

Hi Simon,
It appears as if you're right, although I could have sworn I took the 'summer' video in FHD. (But I no longer have it, so can't check.) When I switch to HD, the playback is fine. The 'other' videos are not from my camera, so I have no idea what they are. (They're mostly from the net, and have an MP4 tag.)
Thanks for your help. I'll do some more testing, and let you know if I find out anything more.
....... john
P.S. I love this camera
Old Feb 3, 2015, 1:24 AM   #4

do you actually transfer the video to your computer before you play it? it's not going to be as smooth played from the card reader.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2015, 11:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinnen View Post
Hi Simon,
It appears as if you're right, although I could have sworn I took the 'summer' video in FHD. (But I no longer have it, so can't check.) When I switch to HD, the playback is fine. The 'other' videos are not from my camera, so I have no idea what they are. (They're mostly from the net, and have an MP4 tag.)
Thanks for your help. I'll do some more testing, and let you know if I find out anything more.
....... john
P.S. I love this camera
I love mine also...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2015, 11:50 AM   #6

Hi pcake,
No, I've been playing it from the card. I'll try tranferring, and see if that's better.
.... john
Old Feb 5, 2015, 6:40 AM   #7

Does the video play back smoothly in the camera?
What class is the SD card? You probably need a class 10 card for full HD video.
Do you format the card each time prior to using it?
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2015, 8:41 AM   #8

Hi VTphotog,
Yes, it does play back smoothly in the camera. The card is a class 4, which is what I've been using for a long time. No, I never format my cards, unless I have problems with them.
I just bought a class 10 (Retail Plus brand, that I've read mixed reviews about) which was very cheap, so I'll give that a try.
..... john
P.S. I just tried the 'class 10' card, with the same result, jerky playback on the computer .... on the camera it plays back fine. I'm thinking that Simon's right, and that my computer does not have enough smack to play FHD. Unless someone has a better idea I think I'll find someone who has a fast computer and see how it works on their machine.

Last edited by Shinnen; Feb 5, 2015 at 9:35 AM. Reason: Addtional infomation, in post script
Old Feb 5, 2015, 9:35 AM   #9

1. If you never reformat your SD Card, the file allocation table will become fragmented, and over time, will perform less and less well.
  2. The SC Card Association that instituted the SD Card Speed Class system of rating the performance of SD Cards, relies on the honor system of having manufacturers rate their own cards. I'm certain that in all instances, manufacturers always rate their products honestly to give consumers the best information possible.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2015, 9:51 AM   #10

my cards often don't play smoothly on my computer but my videos play smoothly in the camera and in the computer. i use very fast cards and reformat regularly, btw.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote