Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 7, 2015, 1:06 AM   #1

Default from hs-20 to dslr.. spoilt over choices.. Help

hi folks,

been away from the forum since a while and have been enjoying my fuji HS-20 since cpl of years now. all thanks to the forum i could get a good camera. now that its been few years and my fuji has been hi jacked by my better half i am lurking for a dslr since a few days and its been a big fight in my head to decide which one to go for...

Background :

i am spoilt by the functionality of HS-20 like AE bracketing and other modes and i find it very disappointing the basic dslr's which cost at least 100$ more than the Fuji does not have these options. hence in a fix.

options : ( I am in India so will tell you the price difference accordingly )

d3200 - 23,960 INR - 386$ with kit lens 18-55 + 8GB + carry bag
d3300 - 28,150 INR - 453 $ same as above.
d5200 - 33,101 INR - 533 $ same as above.

i don't want to push my budget beyond it for the reason that this will be my first dslr and i believe to use it fully i might take me atleast 2 years to explore the cam in and out and i want to invest money later into a faster prime lens for better pictures and to utilize the sensor fully.

query :

d3200 and d3300 both does not have AE bracketing which i love for I create a lot of HDR pics.
How easy /difficult will be to do manual exposure compensation.
how much diffrence will there be in image quality.
i don't need tilt screen nor more jazzy fancy modes. just need better image quality.

i have checked out canon stable too however nothing really impressed me much in this range.

still learning..

Last edited by theironhorse; Feb 7, 2015 at 1:14 AM.
theironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 7, 2015, 3:38 AM   #2

Manual exposure bracketing isn't that difficult, but after using the AE bracketing, you won't want to do it. AE bracketing is just too effortless and convenient to give up.
BBbuilder467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2015, 4:27 AM   #3

The lack of bracketing in the low end Nikon is a bit disappointing (even most compacts have it..!)- however,it's not difficult to do manually- just maybe time consuming if you use it a great deal- and you'll need a good tripod.
I'd use Aperture priority- use a given aperture and use the exposure compensation for your +/- images- taking as little or as many images as you want. Using the self timer is a useful idea also to avoid camera shake.
One thing in a DSLR's favour is the extra data that a RAW file has- and sometimes all the highlight/shadow detail you might need could be in one image- provided the contrast of the said shot isn't too extreme.

With regards IQ- the difference will be quite considerable- especially if you view images up close and personal and/or crop often (which 24mp allows...).

I'd go with the 5200 simply for the FAR superior AF system on board.... and of course, has the bracketing feature. It actually has an HDR facility on board- though I couldn't say how effective it is... few "on camera" HDR's work that well- except maybe Sony's...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2015, 6:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBbuilder467 View Post
Manual exposure bracketing isn't that difficult, but after using the AE bracketing, you won't want to do it. AE bracketing is just too effortless and convenient to give up.
so that confirms my doubt about bracketing.. and yes from fuji to dslr .. the only thing i was unable to give was AE bracketing.. thank you for helping me with this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMON40 View Post
The lack of bracketing in the low end Nikon is a bit disappointing (even most compacts have it..!)- however,it's not difficult to do manually- just maybe time consuming if you use it a great deal- and you'll need a good tripod.
I'd use Aperture priority- use a given aperture and use the exposure compensation for your +/- images- taking as little or as many images as you want. Using the self timer is a useful idea also to avoid camera shake.
One thing in a DSLR's favour is the extra data that a RAW file has- and sometimes all the highlight/shadow detail you might need could be in one image- provided the contrast of the said shot isn't too extreme.

With regards IQ- the difference will be quite considerable- especially if you view images up close and personal and/or crop often (which 24mp allows...).

I'd go with the 5200 simply for the FAR superior AF system on board.... and of course, has the bracketing feature. It actually has an HDR facility on board- though I couldn't say how effective it is... few "on camera" HDR's work that well- except maybe Sony's...

thank you for your assistance . yes the AF Is better however the onboard HDR is pretty mediocre and works similar to smartphones today. however the more sensitive AF and bracketing makes it up...

so i guess decision stays the same like before. d5200 it is.. thank you folks fo helping me make a decision. good that i did post here else if would have got anything else than a d5200 i would have regretted.

will update this thread once i get the camera. will be ordering it today

still learning..
theironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote