Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 3, 2015, 9:48 PM   #11

VTphotog - it's not just you. fuji menus can be... er... challenging ;-) btw, i don't see trying to pre-focus for birds in flight - i follow them through the EVF as they fly, waiting for the perfect shot, and there's no saying how far they'll be when that happens.

Ozzie_Traveller - thanks for the 411 on the focus. there was a long discussion about this on dpreview, but no one explained the issue well. btw, pellicans are among my very favorite birds, and i love catching them in flight. i realize the FZ200 lens will be a little short for birding, but i really liked the FZ150, and the zoom is a lot longer than what i have now.

SIMON40 - the issues i had were in full daylight. i'm surprised to hear you're keeping up with sports. maybe my camera had the issues.

thanks for the responses, all!
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2015, 11:35 PM   #12

G'day all

Because this thread is about focus issues, I will start a new thread about FZ200 + autofocus-on-the-move imagery for BIF

More on the Fuji focus issues later

Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2015, 12:54 AM   #13

Gday PCake & VTphotog + others

If I may add more to this thread about my Fuji X-s1 & its focus issues ...
NB: I have looked at a variety of Fuji cameras lately and many / all? seem to have the same focusing arrangement. I cannot be sure, so if you have a Fuji with a different arrangement, please let me & others here know all about it

My X-s1 has a 63-point focusing screen, shown as:-

and one of the options is 'Multi-focus' whereby the focus point will zip around the screen as ...

or

but even though it zips around the screen, it NEVER opens up to more than one of those 63 focus points.

While this is all very well for landscapes or flowers in a vase, for action stuff .... high speed stuff like a cat licking itself or grandma sitting on a swing on the front patio, it is one step away from 'hopeless'

The thing is, there is no plan-B - if the camera cannot find something to focus upon within that tiny green box, it just takes a guess ~ and this is where the BIF stuff [and the hi-speed stuff mentioned above] all come in with a fail

2 images taken within seconds of each other:-
example-1

example-2

I have had so many - hundreds & hundreds - of focus failures where the focus 'should' have snapped into place but didn't, that I no longer keep them as examples

My various email discussions with Fuji Australia have pointed out that the camera has been like this from day-1, Their answer has always been "with the camera outside its warranty period, any work will be done at your expense" Needless to say, I declined the offer

Phil
Old Mar 4, 2015, 10:56 AM   #14

The multi-point focus option behavior is typical of other cameras I have used. It selects one of the points to focus on. I didn't know there was any other way for it to operate.
I almost always use the area option, and have set the focus frame as large as possible. (per the manual, it is adjustable from 50% to 150% of the default size)
I have also used the tracking setting, just to see how, and if it worked, with our cat running around the yard. It also worked well, though it was in full daylight, and the cat was black. How well it would do in less than ideal conditions, I can't say.
I have found the AF-C to have a bit more lag to it. It struggles to keep up with changes.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2015, 6:33 PM   #15

re the X-S1 - can you center focus and then lock focus?

btw, i've been looking at thousands of pics on review sites, boards and flickr, and in good light the fuji's bigger sensor delivers much less noise than the smaller sensor cameras. while that's no surprise, i find that some cameras that are spoken of very highly for IQ deliver a lot of noise even at base ISOs, and i'm talking about full daylight pics.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 7:18 PM   #16

pcake- with regards noise- even at base iso- shooting RAW will yield far cleaner results.
I pretty much use my FZ150 in RAW nigh on always- except sports when I need the buffer to clear quicker...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2015, 10:25 PM   #17

With the X-S1, if you set it to manual focus, you can use the AF/AE lock button to focus the camera, which then retains the focus setting. Forgot to mention that earlier. Works in auto as well, if you select the button function that way. When you are in area focus mode, you can select the focus area. Default is center.
Regarding the lack of noise: some of that is due to in camera processing, and the built in settings of the Silkypix Raw converter that comes with the camera. There is also some lens correction built in to both, which I found when I tried using a different Raw converter.

Last edited by VTphotog; Mar 4, 2015 at 10:28 PM.
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2015, 12:56 AM   #18

I have a Nikon P600, which has good image quality, but which focuses slowly. I recommend considering a refurbished Canon SX50 which is selling for $229 on the Canon USA website.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2015, 2:29 AM   #19

i picked up one of the refurb SX50s last week. so far, it's not really my idea of a great BIF camera. the camera doesn't easily lock focus on birds in flight, and to make that worse, the EVF jitters even at 200mm like my hand was shaking, which makes it hard to even track birds when zoomed in, but my hand isn't shaking and stabilization is on. a couple people recommended i shoot in sports mode, and i'll try it, but one of the reasons i decided to try the SX50 (other than price) was its ability to shoot raw, and you can't do that in sports mode.

on the other hand, the pics i shot with the SX50 are better quality than i expected up to ISO 800, but i had the worst two days trying to shoot birds in flight that i've ever had with pretty much no keepers at all. often i didn't try to shoot, as i could see the camera wasn't in focus most of the time. and i've heard from a few people on another board pm me who have the same experience with the focus and the EVF shaking. honestly it would be a great camera for those shooting wildlife and non-flying birds, although i'd have preferred a little faster lens.

btw, thanks for the info on the P600. disappointing, as it was on my recent list. i'm renting a P900 that should be here in about 10 days, and i'll report back after taking it for a spin.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 4:16 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcake View Post
i picked up one of the refurb SX50s last week. so far, it's not really my idea of a great BIF camera. the camera doesn't easily lock focus on birds in flight, and to make that worse, the EVF jitters......
Hey mate

If you can, try to get a "Red Dot Sight" unit for BIF stuff
It [sort of] replaces the viewfinder and makes BIF stuff 1000% easier

Here's what is looks like on the camera

and here's what is looks like in use ~ note that the view is not magnified

All you do with BIF is
a) hold the camera 6-8" / 15-20cm in front of your eyes and
b) let the red dot follow the target
the extra space around the red dot means you can move up/down etc as the target moves. The VF is not used for taking pics

You can get these things from various camera places (try B&H) and at varying prices depending on size ~ but from US$25 I believe

Hope this helps

Phil