Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 26, 2015, 6:57 PM   #21

the SX50 almost never focuses on birds in flight, and you need to watch the finder as the beep is the same whether the camera confirms focus or is letting you know it can't focus.

i was all excited about using a red dot sight for another camera but didn't understand how it worked. thanks to you, i get it now, but i am both nearsighted, so i need glasses, and can't see anything close while wearing glasses. even with bifocals i could only focus on either the dot or the bird but not both. drat!
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2015, 10:19 PM   #22

I have used a red dot sight in the past, but not for cameras, and the dot is set up to display as if located at infinity, so that when you are looking at the target, both the dot and the target (subject) are in focus.
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2015, 2:21 AM   #23

really? well, darn - i'm gonna try and find a hotshoe adapter and pick up a sight and see how it goes.

thanks for the info!
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2015, 3:01 AM   #24

Hi

For a long zoom quick focusing bridge Camera it might also be worth looking at the new Nikon one, that has a zoom that goes all the way out to 2000mm (Thats not a typo) and the quick play I had with it showed very fast autofocus performance even at 2000mm.

Its just started being shipped now and cost about 499 in the UK.

Paul
Paul-H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2015, 4:50 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcake View Post
.... i was all excited about using a red dot sight for another camera but didn't understand how it worked. thanks to you, i get it now, but i am both nearsighted, so i need glasses, and can't see anything close while wearing glasses. even with bifocals i could only focus on either the dot or the bird but not both. drat!
G'day mate

Eyesight wise, we sound very similar
The RDS is magic for BIF stuff - and anything else than is moving fast too

For the pelican shots shown earlier, I just sat at the water's edge and held the camera 8-10" / 20-25cm in front of my eyes [specs on, focus at infinity] and just followed the birds thru the sky. As the dot coincided with a bird, I started clicking away at 5fps. When a bird suddenly went sideways, I stopped shooting, moved to follow, and when the red dot aligned again, away went my finger as well

I also use it for heaps of other action stuff, where I am using the lens at 300mm or longer as the lens field-of-view is very narrow, should the subject move out of lens-centre, I have lost my subject ... so the RDS makes it heaps easier to keep up with whatever movement the subject is going thru

Hope this helps
Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote