Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 13, 2015, 12:21 PM   #1

Default Need opinion on buying a cemera

Hello,
I have been wanting to buy a camera for a while now and I found the Nikon D7000 on eBay. Here's the link : http://www.ebay.com/itm/321476275275 . I would like your feedback to know if what I'm getting in the kit is worth the money.

I appreciate your help,
Dida04
Dida is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 13, 2015, 1:52 PM   #2

The 16MP Nikon D7000 is a nice camera, and the 18-55 is a good kit lens, but the rest is junk.

This is typical of kits like this. They put together a reasonably good camera with a collection of accessories, not one of which you would buy by itself.

The 16MP D7000 has been replaced by the 24MP D7100. The 70-300 is specifically designed to be cheap and to be bundled with cameras, so that the buyer thinks he or she is getting something that provides an expanded capability, but that provides poor image quality.

The lens is the most important part of the camera, and you shouldn't scrimp on lenses. Buy what you need to do what you want, and stay away from bundles that include a bunch of stuff you don't need, and if you do need them, what you bought wil perform poorly for you, and that you'll need to replace anyway to get the quality you want.

So, what do you want to shoot?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2015, 3:49 PM   #3

Hello,I really appreciate your response. I wanted to start out with landscapes since I will be travelling a little this summer. Maybe I should buy the body on it's own and one lens to start out so I can get the hang of things before I jump to quick. What would you suggest ?
Dida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2015, 6:53 PM   #4

The D7000, and especially the D7100 that replaced it, are both fine cameras. But there are other cameras that are equally good for what you want to do.

The big difference between the D7X00 series and the lesser D3X00 and D5X00 series is the AF motor that the D7X00 has but the others don't. That's not much of an issue since newer lenses have their own AF motors, so one of the lesser models will probably work just fine for you. The big difference between the D3X00 series and the D5X00 series is that the D5X00 series has a better AF system. That's not such a big deal for landscapes, but it is for sports/action/wildlife photography. Only you can know if those are things that you'd like to try, and so you'd benefit from the better AF system or not.

They both come with the AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II, which is pretty good and pretty inexpensive for what you want to do.

Unfortunately, the D3X00 series and the D5X00 series cameras are not available without that lens, but since it will serve you well, it's not much of a handicap.

I think you'll be happy with the results you'll get from either one for landscape shots; it's whatever else you might want to do that will determine whether you'd be happier spending the extra $100 for the D5X00 series over the D3X00 series.

You'll definitely need at least one flash memory card, and you might want an extra battery.

Last edited by TCav; Mar 14, 2015 at 10:53 AM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote